FREE MUSIC offer (really nice ambient recording)

nickspicks

« on: 26 Dec 2003, 01:35 pm »
Hi folks...

I just thought i'd make a holiday HiFi offer to the group.

this is an ambient recording made live, on the spot.
Not much for technical details, i'm afraid.  Here is the skinny;

Grateful Dead
live at the Knickerbocker Arena
Albany, NY  March 25th 1990

recorded in front of the soundbord (fob) using
Schoeps CCMC 4 / MK21 sub cardioid capsules arranged in an ORTF stereo configuration.   No idea of preamp or A/D, but recorded w/a DAT deck (likely sony d10), and I would guess the mics were run directly into it.

My CDs were burnt via a stand alone CD-R being fed a digital stream from a DAT clone.  I have extracted the audio using EAC (exact audio copy) in secure mode.  I will provide audio discs or SHN files.

No catch here...
just email me off list if you want to hear this.  I'll send free copies to those that are interested.  If there is a lot of interest (which I doubt), then we can work a trade for equivalent blank discs.  The entire show is 3 CDs, but the "meat" of the show can consist of one disc that I can send to those who only want a taste and not the whole shabang.

FWIW,
the Grateful Dead allowed audience recording so there is absolutely nothing illegal or immoral about owning, giving or trading this music.  This is not a "bootleg", but rather somebody's most EXCELLENT two track engineering effort, mastered live with the intention of sharing and the blessing of the band.  The existance or trading hands of this material does not take money from anyones hands.  Nor does this exist as any official commercial relase.

This is a monstrous recording...and I say this w/the experience of listening to 1000's of hours of live Dead and as an amateur audio engineer myself.
This music is sublime, and it comes from a particularly fruitful period in the bands career.  Garcia is in top form, and his guitar work throughout the entire performance is first rate.
I offer this up for you all to enjoy for its sonic prowess, its really that good.  It will melt away your listening room and leave you around 15th row center in the knick.  Completely awesome.

Merry Xmas everyone...and a happy NYE.

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2003, 03:40 pm »
Nick:

I just got a sweet JGB from '76.  Combine that with the DGQ Reunion from this year, and that makes 3 discs.  Wanna trade?  Or I can send you blanks.  I have liked all the Knick shows I have heard!

B

JackStraw

Re: FREE MUSIC offer (really nice ambient recording)
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2003, 04:06 pm »
Quote from: nickspicks
No catch here...
just email me off list if you want to hear this. I'll send free copies to those that are interested. If there is a lot of interest (which I doubt), then we can work a trade for equivalent blank discs. The entire show is 3 CDs, but the "meat" of the show can consist of one disc that I can send to those who only want a taste and not the whole shabang.

This is really nice of you. I have a SBD of this show... it's a good one. What part of the show would you include on the single disc?

I have been away from trading for a while, in fact I haven't even set my burner up after the move. But, if you can send a list, I'm sure that I could send you something that you don't have in trade.

nickspicks

re: GD recording
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2003, 04:44 pm »
I've got the "sound bored?" too.  It pales to this AUD recording.  This is in my top 5 "best auds ever" that i've heard.

the single disc would be disc 2 of the three.  Eyes  through drums.

We can certainly work a trade for this if you'd like.  I've also got the 24th, same source....if you are interested.
My music lists:
www.nickspicks.com/music.htm

I dont keep up w/the audio CD list any more, but the SHN list is up to date and I can decode any of those and burn audio w/o any problems.

Hantra

Re: re: GD recording
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2003, 04:59 pm »
I've got the "sound bored?" too.  It pales to this AUD recording.  This is in my top 5 "best auds ever" that i've heard.

Have you guys heard the Phil and Phriends shows from a few years back?  I got an AUD of that off one of the newsgroups, and it was MP3, and was better than the SBD I got later on from SHN.  What a great three nights of shows!  I wish they would release them.  Phil was going to do it for his foundation, and I heard that Trey wouldn't allow it.  That's a rumor though. . .

L8r,

B

nickspicks

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2003, 05:06 pm »
>Have you guys heard the Phil and Phriends shows from a few years back?

the April shows w/the Phish guys?  Yes indeed..

I just recorded them at the Orpheum in Boston last month.
Great fun!  The recordings came out nice too.  did it from the front row center Mezzanie.  

I >got an AUD of that off one of the newsgroups, and it was MP3, and was >better than the SBD I got later on from SHN.

was it the "drinkrail schoeps source"?
I think that was deemed the best AUD pull from that run.  I remember this as a topic of great debate after these shows started to circulate.
I think the DSBDs are pretty nice actualy.  

>What a great three nights of >shows! I wish they would release them. >Phil was going to do it for his >foundation, and I heard that Trey wouldn't >allow it. That's a rumor though. . .

Yea, I remember that supposed box set too.  never happed, but those DSBDs are as close to a comercal release as you could ask for.
imo, Steve Kimock was THE MAN in that lineup.
Ever listen to his solo stuff?  Hmm...that reminds me...
look to the next offer.

JackStraw

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2003, 05:51 pm »
the single disc would be disc 2 of the three. Eyes through drums.

Geez, I wouldn't want it without Birdsong, Masterpiece, or Mighty Quinn.

I've got the "sound bored?" too. It pales to this AUD recording. This is in my top 5 "best auds ever" that i've heard.

Alright, what are they? I'm more swayed by the music than the recording, but 9/20/90 and 8/6/71 come to mind immediately. Which doesn't bring up 6/24/70b... a hissy mess but the music played the band.

the April shows w/the Phish guys? Yes indeed..

Was that 4/99? I think I have analog tapes of those somewhere. Incredibly enjoyable excessive noodling... definite guilty pleasures.

imo, Steve Kimock was THE MAN in that lineup.
Ever listen to his solo stuff? Hmm...that reminds me...
look to the next offer.

I used to have a bunch of Zero on DAT. Shipped it away with my DAT machine earlier this year. He is in incredible musician.

I saw Phil & Friends opening for Bob Dylan right after Kimock quit (10/99). The sound was dumbfoundingly bad during the Phil show, and then pretty good for Dylan. I think that's why Steve skated.

nickspicks

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2003, 06:11 pm »
my top 5 AUDs?  shit...those two you mention are great indeed.  Nod to the '71 show for being so damn good dispite the lack of real quality recording equipment.

9-20-90 is just another killer schoeps fob.  there are sooo many, and that is a good one.  I've got some B&K 4011 sources for this run that are also outstanding.

I really enjoy a lot of the 93 Soundfield recordings.  I think 9-22-93 w/David Murray sitting in is top of that list with maybe 3-28-93 in close 2nd.

The Oade recordings of '85 are pretty impressive.  Nods to 6-16-85....shit, that whole greek run is awesome from start to finish and the recordings are all refference quality.

the Cornell '77 AUD (that is used to patch the SBD) is good just for the fact that its quite listenable and different from the various betty boards that have circulated for so long.  Its just nice to hear the crowd ooohs and aaaahs

I've got a ton of split omni outdoor stuff from the late 80's that are exceptional as well.  7-2-89, 7-2-88, 7-15-88 come to mind right off the bat as being massive.  

I'm a real AUD recording nut, and I have soo many favorites that i'm sure i'm forgetting some that are real giants.  But these are my "go to" dics.

Hantra

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2003, 06:20 pm »
was it the "drinkrail schoeps source"?
I think that was deemed the best AUD pull from that run.

That was it.  I liked the DSBD's too, but not as much as the Schoeps.  It seemed to really get quite a bit more of the venue.  Perhaps that's a no brainer to pros like you, but it was an awakening for me.  

Anyhow, I LOVE Kimock.  And I actually have quite a bit if you want some of that!  I saw him a few times in a real small club here.  He is amazing.  The Stella from 4/99 with him on steel is one of my all time favs.

B

nickspicks

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2003, 06:30 pm »
>That was it. I liked the DSBD's too, but not as much as the Schoeps. It >seemed to really get quite a bit more of the venue. Perhaps that's a no >brainer to pros like you, but it was an awakening for me.

pro?  I wish.  I think you need to be paid for that title.
its certainly not a no brainer to make good ambient recordings.  In fact, its pretty difficult.  There are a lot of variables involved here.  It boils down to three things:

1. location of the mics
2. skill of the FOH engineer at the boards
3. knowing how to set up your recording gear...the only "skill' part of a taper.  Well, there may be a little more to it, but it all pales in importantce to numbers 1 and 2.

Agreed though, a GREAT audience recording will always sound better than a stale ol' SBD recording.  I love to hear the energy in the air!....that charged atmosphere when band and crowd are in synch.  A good ambient recording can really reproduce that "live" atmoshpere, IMO.