X-3's Arrived

sumoking

X-3's Arrived
« on: 7 Aug 2019, 01:28 am »
Just got them in and set up... Burning in, but pretty amazing right out of the box.

Quantum leap from my M3S Turbo's! I’ve already heard nuances in familiar songs that I’ve never heard before.  They are so musical and their image and sound staging is much more impressive than the M3S Turbos.  Got them about 11' apart and 8' to my listening position.

They look great in pictures, but in person, the combination of it's elegant look matched with this level of engineering and workmanship makes for a stunning presentation.

Can't wait to get a few days on them! More feedback when they break in!
Cheers!

« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2019, 06:09 am by sumoking »

sumoking

Re: X-3's Arrived
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2019, 01:39 am »
Just got them in and set up... Burning in, but pretty amazing right out of the box.

Quantum leap from my M3S Turbo's! They are so smooth and the image is much more impressive than the M3S Turbos.  Got them about 11' apart and 8' to my listening position.

Can't wait to get a few days on them!

They look great in pictures, but in person, the combination of it's elegant clean look matched with the engineering/workmanship makes a stunning combination.

Cheers!

A couple pictures of the clear finish.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2019, 02:18 am »
so nice!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2019, 10:40 am »
Congrats, that’s mighty nice. I’m jonesing for my pair, and I have the patience of a six year old  :icon_lol:

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2019, 11:10 am »
about  how long are the waits running on these?

jazzman463

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2019, 12:15 pm »
Beautiful ! How are you burning them in ?

yakbob

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2019, 01:42 pm »
Thanks sumoking,
They look fantastic. As someone interested in making the jump from M3TS to the X5, could you tell me if you kept the same placement (distance, toe angle) as your M3s?
The floor tile looks to be 18", and I'm guessing that puts the speakers about 24" off the front wall? Any changes in low frequency response if they're pulled further out?

Whitestix

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2019, 08:44 pm »
Sumoking,
Thanks for share what is the first review of Clayton's new speakers! Great looking speakers in a fine room, lucky you.  My experience with the M4Turbo's was that they took a very long time to break in, sounding dreadful out of the boxes, over a 200 hours.  The upgrade to the Triode Masters ran in much faster.  I am keen to get a pair of the X5's in my LV soon. 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2019, 08:53 pm »
if you get the speaker wires off the floor the soundstage will go to Pluto......no kidding......well, slight exaggeration.

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2019, 10:37 pm »
RE: Raising those wires ...It can be done very cheaply from Lowe's ...
I get these porcelain light sockets for $2.60, remove the metal connector parts, and voila! An excellent insulator to keep your cables off of the floor.

spotlightaudio

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2019, 11:11 pm »
Are the grills removable? If so are there any pictures? Thanks!

sumoking

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2019, 03:12 am »
Thanks sumoking,
They look fantastic. As someone interested in making the jump from M3TS to the X5, could you tell me if you kept the same placement (distance, toe angle) as your M3s?
The floor tile looks to be 18", and I'm guessing that puts the speakers about 24" off the front wall? Any changes in low frequency response if they're pulled further out?

Funny that the placement was very similar. Not much change. They are more than 3’ off the front wall.

I plan to bring them further out in the room this weekend. I’ll report back.
Cheers!

sumoking

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2019, 03:22 am »
Sumoking,
Thanks for share what is the first review of Clayton's new speakers! Great looking speakers in a fine room, lucky you.  My experience with the M4Turbo's was that they took a very long time to break in, sounding dreadful out of the boxes, over a 200 hours.  The upgrade to the Triode Masters ran in much faster.  I am keen to get a pair of the X5's in my LV soon.

Thanks. I wouldn’t say a review, I’ll work on that one when they are broken in.
I would say without reservation is they sound great right out of the box. I have about 11 hours on them at this point. So I’ll give it a few more days.

I am using the XLO burn in track and playing music as loud as my wife will let me play it!

The grills are not removable without forcing it...

Spatial Audio

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2019, 04:08 am »
Thanks. I wouldn’t say a review, I’ll work on that one when they are broken in.
I would say without reservation is they sound great right out of the box. I have about 11 hours on them at this point. So I’ll give it a few more days.

I am using the XLO burn in track and playing music as loud as my wife will let me play it!

The grills are not removable without forcing it...

Yes, the grilles are tightly mounting using a friction fit, but are removable.

Clayton

sumoking

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2019, 05:16 am »
Yes, the grilles are tightly mounting using a friction fit, but are removable.

Clayton
Good to know!
Thank you Clayton!
I’ll remove them tomorrow and check them out.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2019, 10:35 am »
Please let us know how to remove them. I will probably want to remove mine too.

Thx

Spatial Audio

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2019, 08:40 pm »
Please let us know how to remove them. I will probably want to remove mine too.

Thx

Hey Guys - here are pics showing how to remove the friction fit grilles on X3s and X5s. Press your fingers into the grille cloth to reach the back edge of the 3/8" thick grille ring. Pull and Bingo!

Clayton

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2019, 09:05 pm »

Quantum leap from my M3S Turbo's! I’ve already heard nuances in familiar songs that I’ve never heard before.  They are so musical and their image and sound staging is much more impressive than the M3S Turbos.  Got them about 11' apart and 8' to my listening position.

Awesome! You’ve got them set up very similar to the way I have mine.  :thumb:

Are you going to be home this weekend?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2019, 09:19 pm »
Nice. How about a shot of the speakers sans grilles?

Shakey

Spatial Audio

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2019, 01:25 am »
Nice. How about a shot of the speakers sans grilles?

Shakey

Sure - here are 3 shots of the X5, which is now in full production:

Not sure how to fix the picture orientation issue. Anyone know?