In and Out (Why you left audio only to come back)

JeffBrown

In and Out (Why you left audio only to come back)
« on: 7 Sep 2010, 04:14 am »
In the September editors introduction I briefly discussed people leaving the audio hobby only to return, in the end of that article I asked people to post why they might have left and returned or why they might have come to this particular deranged hobby that can be audio at all.

Please use this thread to chronicle your particular obsession in as detailed of a way as you feel comfortable.

Jeff Brown

lord dubious

Re: In and Out (Why you left audio only to come back)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2010, 05:14 am »
I got in because I love music.  I also believe that something worth doing should be done well.
I think it would be unusual to give up on such things.  Perhaps you never get out.  You just stop spending money for a while.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2010, 06:03 am »
To leave audio is to leave music, no?  My car radio would never suffice.  It's the only way I know how to recieve communion.  I'm retired from box swapping if that is what is meant.  Don't have a need or a want.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2010, 07:10 am »
There are lots of reasons to "leave." Disillusionment with commercial offerings is one good reason. Buying through dealers and getting that "ripped-off" feeling later. Buying something based on reviews, same thing. The "fiscal responsibility" gene (or partner) may kick in at some point. When it comes down to it, the (very) personal love of music and the commercial machine that high-end audio wants to be seem to me to be at fundamental odds. DIY can offer a solution, but then again there are a lot of traps there too. Other than that, connect with designers/vendors that seem to think along the same lines as you.

lord dubious

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:03 am »
Other than that, connect with designers/vendors that seem to think along the same lines as you.

I completely agree.  Thanks goodness for the internet.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:36 am »
Music has always had a profound impact on my life, to discover ways to intensify that effect has driven me in this hobby. In todays world there seem to be fewer and fewer intimate ways to enjoy art and culture. When I was in the business of music and music was a business, not an art, I became numb to what music and its correct reproduction could do for me. It wasn't until I retired from that business and started to enjoy listening again that I grasped this hobby and have decided to run with it. Music makes me smile again like it did when I was 10 and started playing the drums, this hobby keeps me young and makes me feel alive, its brought me full circle and for that I am truly grateful. :dance:

Gopher

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2010, 12:44 am »
I am admittedly very obsessive about my hobbies and occasionally force a break/get distracted by another obsession.

About three years back I took a two year hiatus from the gear go round while the high end system I owned mostly just gathered dust.  It started with temporary residence in an apartment with atrocious acoustics and continued as I pursued something else.

Now that I'm back I feel I'm back more maturely than ever.  The money invested in the hobby stays in the hobby but changes form occasionally, but also I'm finding myself more content then ever just to sit back and listen.  The desire to keep shifting around and trying things will probably never fade in this lifetime, but I'm loving the fact that I'm enjoying the hell out of a tube amplifier that made its debut in 1959 and is priced accordingly.

jaxwired

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2010, 12:57 am »
This topic really hits home with me.  My first year as a serious audiophile was around 1988.  I stuck with it until about 1999.  Then I took about 7 years off.  I listned to very little music.  Pretty much gave it up entirely for those 7 years.  The reason I got back in was that the internet made it possible to find good music again.  During the 90's I got so frustrated and disgusted trying to find decent music.   Music that wasn't over processed, computerized, Britney-ized, mass market crap.  The music industry spends most of it's time marketing to to 15 year olds.  I just couldn't find good music.  About 4 years ago I started rediscovering music thanks to the internet.  Now I have a massive collection of fabulous music thanks to the internet.  So many great sites that connect you with less main stream stuff and you get to hear it all before buying.  And because of the internet, there's been a resurgence in good music.  The idiot record labels have started to figure out that they can sell good music too.   

JeffBrown

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2010, 03:04 am »
I find it interesting the idea that idea of box swapping was discussed in the beginning of this thread.  To Jim's credit the article that the thread was about didn’t actually go live until a few hours after he posted that.  Box swapping didn’t occur to me as being a primary aspect of this hobby to me. I guess because I've never been a box swapper.  I still enjoy my nOrh ACA2b 6922 based preamp from 5 years ago. I did eventually have to replace the original tubes though!

Like Jim, I couldn't see not having good music to enjoy and a system to enjoy it on.  To me it has never been about the equipment, it's all about the music.

The guys who are coming back to the scene or left for a time the insight in to the burning question of why is particularly interesting to read for the rest of us.  (Or at least me!)

Thanks,
Jeff Brown

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2010, 06:40 am »
Just finshed listening to Mahler's First on a recording on Harmonia Mundi.  Beautiful, it is.  Figure out what gives you anxiety and join me.  It may not be what you think.  It may be why you think it. 

jaxwired

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:32 pm »
I find it interesting the idea that idea of box swapping was discussed in the beginning of this thread.  To Jim's credit the article that the thread was about didn’t actually go live until a few hours after he posted that.  Box swapping didn’t occur to me as being a primary aspect of this hobby to me. I guess because I've never been a box swapper.  I still enjoy my nOrh ACA2b 6922 based preamp from 5 years ago. I did eventually have to replace the original tubes though!

Like Jim, I couldn't see not having good music to enjoy and a system to enjoy it on.  To me it has never been about the equipment, it's all about the music.

The guys who are coming back to the scene or left for a time the insight in to the burning question of why is particularly interesting to read for the rest of us.  (Or at least me!)

Thanks,
Jeff Brown

I'm surprised by this attitude.  To me the hobby IS box swapping.  I find people that don't box swap odd.  How can your stay engaged?  How do read all the reviews, all the online blogs, go to audio shows, and yet never box swap?  That's very odd.  The hobby is about the pursuit of the ultimate music reproduction by assembling the ultimate collection of audio equipment.  Unless you are the luckiest person in the world, the first gear you buy won't be the ultimate system.  The hobby almost requires box swapping.  Which is exactly why people often become disillusioned with the whole thing.  You can never reach your goal. The goal is unattainable.  Audio perfection is not possible.  So whatever you have can always be "improved".

Regarding "the music".  Most audiophiles love music.  That's a given.  Some love it a lot more than others.  I consider the search for great music and the listening to music a separate (but related) hobby to the audio equipment hobby.  One can have both hobbies without diminishing either.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:44 pm »
How can you stay engaged?  Somehow I manage to do this about every nite.  I listen in a dedicated room via a pretty good synergistic system my ears and heart tell me.  Didn't get there overnite and enjoyed the trip.  Happy to have arrived.  I listen to music.  I suppose I was never an audio equipment hobbist. 

JeffBrown

« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:47 pm »
I run an online audio magazine, so reading reviews is second nature, and my equipment fixes come from loaner review equipment.  But for me this isn't a race to have coolest new gear, it is a way to relax and enjoy good music. Enjoying music is the goal for me, I can't enjoy the music if I'm dreaming about some new amp or the greatest new cable.  That's just me though.

While I was typing this Jim pretty much said what I meant, so amen to Jims post!

jeff brown

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:22 pm »
Well, Jeff, between the two of us we may have just kilt your thread, but I hope not.  Jax answered the question.  I could not, and shoulda not, cause I have never had a lapse.  Finding good music, that is.  Same for you, sounds like.  And we heard from John R. who is normally pretty quiet.  So, I dunno . . what does make a person leave and return to this hobby?   Cheers.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:40 pm »
I first found music by playing it, as a violinist at an early age.  I gave up playing in my teens after 10 years, and about 6 years later bought my first serious music reproduction system in university.  I later went traveling globally, and left that system with my brother.  I got into motorcycle racing and building for a few years.

Upon returning to Canada, I kept that system static until finding AC one year during a web search...

I then completely redid my system with bits and pieces all connected to this place and have continued to play around with DIY to maintain an active interest.

Along the way marriage, 2 kids, a career and competing hobbies (most recently golf in the summer) have taken the focus off music at times, but I have had a good system since 1993 or so.

Now with a house and family life, I have 2 other systems around, including a simple HT system to take time out of music, but the main system remains down in the basement, in the same room as my pool table, so I always get 10+ hours a week of some kind of listening in.

Good topic - audio will always be a part of my life, but the focus tends to ebb and flow.

TONEPUB

« Reply #15 on: 9 Oct 2010, 11:08 pm »
I almost gave up on analog about six months ago, but a few good components changed my perspective.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2010, 11:36 pm »
When I found I could barely stand to listen to what was considered about the best available at the time (Quad 57s with good amplification, from a Linn Sondek with a decent cartridge) I thought we were collectively kidding ourselves that hi-fi was hi and I might as well bail and restrict myself to live music and my little Philips (Philco) clock radio with its 3" speaker.

I lasted about 3 years doing this, then curiosity once again got me experimenting with speaker design, and of course, I needed a receiver (Advent). And source (Rega/Grado)...

Then I got into recording and couldn't afford to put big money into playback equipment, but funnelled it into mics and recording gear.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2010, 04:03 am »
Married with Child on a parochial school teacher's salary.  :o  But time healed the hole in the wallet.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2010, 04:32 am »
I never really left but the interest in audio certainly took a backseat for many years.  Growing up, work, owning a business, marriage, other interests, they all got in the way.
I grew up on vinyl and tape and set that aside when CDs came out.  That was the latest and the greatest and all of the albums and tapes were just old junk from a bygone era.  I never sold them off but they never got used anymore, either.
I built up my CD library and the longer I listened to CDs the more I kept upgrading my systems and the less I actually listened to them because nothing ever sounded quite right to me.  Something was always just a little bit "off" but I couldn't quite figure out what it was.
It was only on getting a decent turntable and, more recently, a reel to reel deck that my love of audio returned.
The sound that I was missing was there all along.
I'm an analog guy in a digital world.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2010, 04:42 am »
I have always loved it.....put it on hold for almost 20 yrs while I did life stuff.....

Now that I am older....50......The last few yrs have allowed me the time and $.

When I was just a kid I looked after Arabian show horses......now I manage to have a bunch of them also....
another hobby I had to put on hold till I had the time and $

Getting old really rocks in some respects!.......glad I came back and didnt just fade away........