Announcing the "Insight+" low cost upgrade

Wayner

Re: Announcing the "Insight+" low cost upgrade
« Reply #80 on: 23 Mar 2009, 09:41 pm »
Roy, your T7 still sounds better then most!

Wayner  :D

turkey

« Reply #81 on: 24 Mar 2009, 01:58 pm »
I guess that owners of the T7 pre and others using the 12AT7 tubes aren't going to have any fun with upgrades. :cry: Well....my T7 sounds great anyway :green: but I'll have to limit my tweaks to tube rolling.

-Roy

Like they say, "Don't worry, be happy!" :)

If you like the way your T7 sounds, you don't really need any upgrades anyway.

avahifi

« Reply #82 on: 24 Mar 2009, 03:08 pm »
Actually we can upgrade T7 preamps to use 12AT7/ECC81 line tubes.  We just did one for Tom Alverson and it made a nice performance bump.  It requires the main line board to be pulled to change biasing resistors, so that takes it out of the do it yourself project mode.  We can do it here for $300 including the new line tubes plus $30 return shipping.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #83 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:26 pm »
Actually we can upgrade T7 preamps to use 12AT7/ECC81 line tubes.  We just did one for Tom Alverson and it made a nice performance bump.  It requires the main line board to be pulled to change biasing resistors, so that takes it out of the do it yourself project mode.  We can do it here for $300 including the new line tubes plus $30 return shipping.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

My T7 must have been upgraded since it runs 12AT7 tubes in the line section. :D It uses 12ax7 tubes in the phono stage.

-Roy

rlee8394

« Reply #84 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:56 pm »
Frank,

change biasing resistors, so that takes it out of the do it yourself project mode.

Do you mean the plate, cathode and grid resistors? Maybe the B+ supply resistors? If so why would this put it out of the DIY mode. I can understand that it would for those with no technical skills or equipment. For those of us who have successfully built Super 70i's, U70's, Super Pas Three, or any other AVAHIFI kit that requires soldering, this should be a no brainer.

Thanks,
Ron

BrianM

« Reply #85 on: 8 Apr 2009, 02:42 am »
Hi all,

Got my DAC back in short order: upgraded current buffers and op-amps in the current to voltage section, plus a "rewired grounding for quieter operation."

It was quiet before, but I do seem to notice reduced noise, from what I remember, when holding my ear directly next to the speaker cones. (The Ellis 1801 is a relatively insensitive speaker to begin with.) The very soft ground hum in the woofer seems to be cut in half; presumably the other half would just about go away if I had Frank do the same tweak to the preamp.

Anyway, I'm unfortunately unable to create any waves and diverge from the reactions others have already had. I don't know what the current buffer upgrade did soundwise over and above the chip swap, but in any case, yes the difference is quite easily discernible on any track I've listened to dozens-hundreds of times before, and the best way to describe it is an extra filigree or two of resolution, everything drawn into that much sharper focus. Like going from your current hi-def t.v. to the next generation hi-def t.v.

At the price, I'd think no one should pass up the chip replacement, 'tis a no brainer. As for the more expensive buffer upgrade for other Ultra DAC owners, from a sound-enhancement perspective it's certainly still worth imo, at least in tandem with the op amp thingy. Obviously I had no chance to evaluate the two things separately, so Frank would be the one to ask. Thanks Frank!

guest1632

« Reply #86 on: 10 Apr 2009, 06:53 am »
I guess that owners of the T7 pre and others using the 12AT7 tubes aren't going to have any fun with upgrades. :cry: Well....my T7 sounds great anyway :green: but I'll have to limit my tweaks to tube rolling.

-Roy

Well, go away for a month or two, and wahlah, Frank's up to no good. lol... actually, lots of good. Now, I am really curious. Am I now to presume the Insight line sounds almost as good as the Ultra line? Could someone give us more details. I had understood that the Insight line had a bit more bass, and the Ultra was a bit more defined. Now with the new OPamp replacement, I would think the lines would be closer. Maybe, should have been a new topic.

Ray Bronk

turkey

« Reply #87 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:43 pm »

-Roy

Well, go away for a month or two, and wahlah, Frank's up to no good. lol... actually, lots of good. Now, I am really curious. Am I now to presume the Insight line sounds almost as good as the Ultra line? Could someone give us more details. I had understood that the Insight line had a bit more bass, and the Ultra was a bit more defined. Now with the new OPamp replacement, I would think the lines would be closer. Maybe, should have been a new topic.

Ray Bronk

My impression, based on what Frank has said, is that the Insight+ gear is very close to the Ultra gear. However, the Ultra gear has some tube mojo going on in the midrange, and some people will prefer that.

turkey

« Reply #88 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:51 pm »
Well, go away for a month or two, and wahlah,

Pet peeve of mine...

It's "voila" and it's pronounced vwah-lah. :)

DSK

« Reply #89 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:57 pm »
...Now with the new OPamp replacement, I would think the lines would be closer. Maybe, should have been a new topic. ...Ray Bronk
The opamp replacement goes for the Ultra too ... and is a definite improvement (in the DAC anyway), so the gap is apparently maintained.

Tom Alverson

« Reply #90 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:20 pm »
The op-amp upgrade is applicable to the Ultra-DAC, but not the Ultra Preamp.

Tom

guest1632

« Reply #91 on: 10 Apr 2009, 08:11 pm »
Well, go away for a month or two, and wahlah,

Pet peeve of mine...

It's "voila" and it's pronounced vwah-lah. :)

Why thank you very much for correcting me. That's ok, because I got my point across. lol. Voila indeed.

So Frank, to ask an over simplified question, is the Ultra preamp an insight preamp with a tube buffer? I understand your circuitry in either case is probably unique. Are the sound differences day and night, or now subttle?

Ray

turkey

« Reply #92 on: 12 Apr 2009, 12:12 pm »

So Frank, to ask an over simplified question, is the Ultra preamp an insight preamp with a tube buffer? I understand your circuitry in either case is probably unique. Are the sound differences day and night, or now subttle?

I haven't seen the guts of any Ultra gear, but AFAIK it is simply a more refined FetValve circuit. FV uses a tube and a power MOSFET as a sort of compound device. (They work together to produce a hybrid active device.)

There is no "tube buffer" or any traditional tube circuit at all in the FV preamp, from what I can see.

So I would say that an Ultra preamp is almost certainly not an Insight preamp with a tube buffer.

avahifi

« Reply #93 on: 12 Apr 2009, 07:41 pm »
Turkey is correct about this.

Frank

dB Cooper

« Reply #94 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:35 am »
Would earlier SS gear benefit from these opamps? I have a venerable but still usable "Versa-Kit" buffer (which I am considering rebuilding in the headphone amp configuration). Is this doable- and worth doing?

Dan Kolton

« Reply #95 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:46 am »
Probably not.  Depends on the application.  The new op-amps would be inferior in many applications from what I understand.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #96 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:34 am »
Would earlier SS gear benefit from these opamps? I have a venerable but still usable "Versa-Kit" buffer (which I am considering rebuilding in the headphone amp configuration). Is this doable- and worth doing?

Read Frank's first announcement post in this thread about what units this upgrade is applicable to.

guest1632

« Reply #97 on: 13 Apr 2009, 07:02 am »

Frank

Hi Frank,

Well, I kinda figured that your stuff took the best of the Valve and the transistor, and put them together.

So the question: What is the differences in sound between the two units, the Insight, and the Ultra? I do realize this is somewhat subjective, but say how much in a perhaps percentage wise, would it take the insight to match the Ultra? What am I giving up to go to the Insight versus the Ultra? I am speaking of the preamps.

Ray Bronk

ricmon

« Reply #98 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:26 pm »

Frank

Hi Frank,

Well, I kinda figured that your stuff took the best of the Valve and the transistor, and put them together.

So the question: What is the differences in sound between the two units, the Insight, and the Ultra? I do realize this is somewhat subjective, but say how much in a perhaps percentage wise, would it take the insight to match the Ultra? What am I giving up to go to the Insight versus the Ultra? I am speaking of the preamps.

Ray Bronk

Frank I am also struggling with the same dilemma.  Insight or Ultra?  The cost difference dose not matter too me.

ricmon

« Reply #99 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:34 pm »

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank you have these tubes listed as replacements on your web site for the T7:

Set of 2 line 12AT7A tubes: $35
For Transcendence Seven preamp line section, Transcendence Six preamp line section, Transcendence Five preamp line section, Fet Valve 350hc, Fet Valve 550hc, Fet Valve 350Ex, Fet Valve 550Ex.

Are these the same as or direct replacements for 12AT7/ECC81?

Ric