X-static vs NX monitor?

drphoto

X-static vs NX monitor?
« on: 20 Feb 2023, 11:26 pm »
Hey, was active member here but been away from audio for 10 years or so. (Life get's in the way of hobbies) Want to dive back in, but not spend a huge amount on speakers. Always a fan a Maggies ,but not the limited dynamics.  so I like the idea of open baffle. So....X-static vs the NX monitor? To go in pretty large room (~20x25)  BTW: I do have GR OB subs, though still not finished. Cabs made, drivers mounted but not wired....again.....these have been sitting for years

Sorry if this topic has been covered.

Running an ancient Stan Warren modded Aiwa XC-35 into his modded DacMagic, Mapletree tube pre, Odyssey Stratos Mono amps. All wiring is by Reality Cable. Current speakers are Merlin TSM Mme doing desktop duty as my computer monitors. Great speakers, but a bit sterile IMO.

mkrawcz

Re: X-static vs NX monitor?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2023, 12:40 am »
NX-Studio. It’s simply in a higher league. Plus the neo3 in the waveguide will do much better in that large room.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2023, 12:57 am »
I would vote for the X-Statiks.  They can easily fill a room and with servo subs make for an awesome system.  Plus they’re very unique.

I’m not knocking the NX monitor but it’s been said they may have some limitations in big rooms.  To be fair, I’ve never heard them.  I am familiar with the tweeter used in them and it definitely brings a more detailed, and transparent sound.  I’m sure they’re excellent. 

Tough choices.

Hafgrim

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2023, 01:39 am »
If you have a pair of ob subs then go for the nxstudio. Make sure to also build a an inline high pass filter for the studios. Without that you'll end up pushing the woofer too hard in your room.
In my room, 12 x 20 from 8 feet away, I can end up pushing then past their limits with dynamic music with subass

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2023, 02:24 am »
I’ve had both. NX Studio all the way.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:41 am »
The planar magnetic tweeter in the NX monitor will give more detail, but the multiple midwoofers in open baffle and sealed arrangement will reach down lower so that a sub is optional.  I have the X-Static and an earlier model with same drivers as the Monitor, the N2X.
In a large room, I'd probably go with the X-Static.  Add subs when you get around to finishing them.

Theronbo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2023, 07:42 am »
I have the X-static in a 20x30 room…

With a Double Trouble OB sub… pre amp to sub to amp to X-statics…

I think it sounds very good. Fills the room, beautiful staging… speakers are transparent…

X-statics have pretty good bass… but sub added… subtle but dramatic difference…

Didn’t understand why people had 2 subs one on each L & R channel… when subs are supposed to be omnidirectional…

I’d build a 2nd if I had time & money… didn’t know what I was missing with the bass till I heard it.

Caveat, I’ve not listened to a lot of different systems or speakers… kinda why I did DYI build… the X-static’s were my 4 speakers in just over a year… “if I build some - I’ll stick with them!”  Though if I can get a set of the new Magi’s for $1k… tempting.

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2023, 05:24 pm »

Didn’t understand why people had 2 subs one on each L & R channel… when subs are supposed to be omnidirectional…

I’d build a 2nd if I had time & money… didn’t know what I was missing with the bass till I heard it.

Caveat, I’ve not listened to a lot of different systems or speakers… kinda why I did DYI build… the X-static’s were my 4 speakers in just over a year… “if I build some - I’ll stick with them!”  Though if I can get a set of the new Magi’s for $1k… tempting.

I guess it really depends on not just the size, but the shape of your room.   Mine has an angled wall at the back.  Of course, my application is Home Theater and not just stereo music.  Recently, I changed from a wide-screen (2.35:1) to a 16x9 screen and had to move the speakers/subs a bit since the new screen was slightly wider, and I forgot to hook the power back up to the left servo amp.   I could tell something was "off" right away.  With the stereo subs (at least in my room) you are truly enveloped in bass.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2023, 05:26 pm »
If you already have the OB subs, then it's a no brainer - the NX-Studio's are going to give the best performance, IMO. 

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2023, 08:05 pm »
Appreciate all the replies. As a Maggie fan, I love the huge soundstage, the vocal presentation, and I think they present acoustic standup bass better than anything.....at least that I've heard. And mine were the ancient 2c, albeit with upgraded crossover parts and heavy bracing. Playing Lyle Lovett and the Large Band was a little slice of heaven. I learned to live w/ the limitations.....ie no 'slam'. and I'm basically a rock guy, though I love jazz and fusion.

So the dream speaker for me would be the soundstage of the panels, but more dynamic. Looks like the NX monitor fits the bill. I'm simply not willing to spend the money for the bigger NX models. I've spend a small fortune building a music studio. My focus has been more on playing music, rather than passive listening.

I do have a pair of the OB subs w/ 2 drivers each H frame cab.

It's nice to visit here again. Years ago I met several members in person at different events and everyone was terrific.

Cheers.

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2023, 10:08 pm »
The best way I can describe the soundstage of the NX-Studios is this. The song “Chocolate Chip Trip” by Tool. There is a metallic effect in the first 40 seconds of the song that pans across the soundstage. At it’s farthest point to the left, with most good speakers, I hear it out well beyond the left side of the speaker and moving toward me a little. With the NX-Studios, I hear it directly to MY left and even a little behind me. As for vocals, well, they simply sound real like the singer is in the room with you.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2023, 11:09 pm »
The Nine Inch Nails song Ruiner does the same effect throwing the soundstage directly to your left, not just a bit outside the left speaker. NX-Studios in a room that big, pulled out from the wall and offloading the low end to the speaker, that'd be a REAL fun time. They work great in my 10x12 room, but I could imagine the soundataging in a proper sized and treated listening room. I can listen to about 90-95db before it starts overpowering what the speaker likes to do, so if I were to like louder our had a bigger room, I would also install a high pass filter for the speakers.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2023, 03:15 pm »
One detail, I read in your post, referring to you having a recording studio. Why would'nt you want to consider the NX-STUDIO's, over the fact you mix music? 

If you chose this kit, you have the luxury of either placing them in your home, for passive listening, or utilize them in your studio too. Giving you the best of both worlds!   :popcorn:

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2023, 06:18 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

drphoto

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2023, 09:59 pm »
My music studio is for practice/jamming/ and live performances. It is not a recording studio. I can record into Ablelton, but would be only demo quality at best. Do not have broadcast quality mikes/mixer/processors etc. Besides cost of remodel of room most money spent on having gear like guitar amps & pedals, drums, keyboards available so quest only need bring their guitars.....unless they choose to bring more.   Sorry.....off topic.

Glenng78

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:46 pm »
Try this track. Roger Waters- album is amused to death, track #1 The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard. There are some dogs barking , crickets chirping , and some TV playing in the background. On my NX Studios the sound stage comes from behind me left all the way to behind me right.  The first time I listened to it in a dark room, it actually scared me there was sound coming from behind me.

Glenng78

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2023, 02:12 am »
The best way I can describe the soundstage of the NX-Studios is this. The song “Chocolate Chip Trip” by Tool. There is a metallic effect in the first 40 seconds of the song that pans across the soundstage. At it’s farthest point to the left, with most good speakers, I hear it out well beyond the left side of the speaker and moving toward me a little. With the NX-Studios, I hear it directly to MY left and even a little behind me. As for vocals, well, they simply sound real like the singer is in the room with you.
He is NOT lying , Choco chip trip is bizarre - it actually comes from behind you

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2023, 04:06 am »
My X-Statiks have fooled me on many occasions.  Especially while watching moody tv series with great sound design.  Several times I had to pause to make sure I wasn’t hearing things in my apartment!  :o  And that was just 2-channel listening.

Glenng78

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2023, 05:52 am »
My X-Statiks have fooled me on many occasions.  Especially while watching moody tv series with great sound design.  Several times I had to pause to make sure I wasn’t hearing things in my apartment!  :o  And that was just 2-channel listening.

So we are experiencing the same thing. I only recently have experienced this with the studios for the first time. Which is why I’m now building oticas

Glenng78

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2023, 05:55 am »

So we are experiencing the same thing. I only recently have experienced this with the studios for the first time. Which is why I’m now building oticas

Hey try that track I recommend off of roger waters  amused to deaths . Let me know what the  x-statics sound on that track. I’m curious now