Hello From Missouri

SoaringBear

Hello From Missouri
« on: 10 Feb 2023, 03:29 am »
I am Dan, but I go by Soaring Bear. I am new here.

I have what I called a humble system, but I enjoy it. That said, I am looking at some upgrades. One of the biggest upgrades I made was getting speaker cables by Mapleshade records. They weren't even expensive.

Once upon a time I had Adcom 535 amp and Adcom preamp hooked to Dahlquist bookshelf speakers. Then I upgraded my amp and preamp to B&K, which was an excellent upgrade. I replaced my B&K Components preamp and amp with Emotiva amp and DAC. Upper midrange coloration disappeared and bass tightened up.

I am looking to upgrade my system further. I have auditioned some speakers but keep coming back to my inexpensive 2-ways and thinking that they sound better overall. This has surprised me because some of these speakers were over $5-6K. My speakers are Dahlquist 2-way bookshelf speakers from late 1980s with VIFA dome tweeters. I did like some Paradigm Founder 80F speakers  recently.

I enjoy a lot of different types of music. Lately, I notice that live recordings, especially acoustic ones, are giving me the most pleasure.

That's my story. My system isn't expensive, but sounds so good to me. And yet I am searching for whether there are some speakers out there that I can afford that will be an upgrade.

I look forward to sharing ideas and learning a few tricks from you.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello From Missouri
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2023, 04:04 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2023, 11:18 am »
Welcome!

Have you considered active monitors (low voltage crossover feeding one channel of amplification per driver)?  Good bass for the given cabinet size, great dynamics and detail, and many of the consumer versions add room correction DSP, DAC's and more.  Plus no power amp(s) or speaker cable needed.  Prices start at $300/pair for JBL 305 Mk2 that fit on a desktop yet can fill a medium sized room. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2023, 02:05 pm »
Welcome!