Speaker wire & Cat 6 Ethernet

HT1278

Speaker wire & Cat 6 Ethernet
« on: 7 Feb 2023, 05:17 pm »
If I run speaker wire immediately next to Cat 6 ethernet for home networking will that degrade or hurt either the audio, or ethernet signal/quality etc.?

For speaker wire I am using currently: Monoprice Access Series 16AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Speaker Wire

For Ethernet it is in wall rated cat 6e, these wires would be running on the outside of the wall attached with these cables clips.  Amazon link for them: https://a.co/d/bqRU8i5

Badd99

Re: Speaker wire & Cat 6 Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2023, 05:34 pm »
The absolute no no would be running ethernet next to power cables. Anything digital next to power cables is a big no no. I would still not run analog by power, however.

Running ethernet next to speaker cable isn't likely going to do anything. However, there is still a magnetic field around the speaker cable when it's being used to drive a loudspeaker (and the music is playing, the amp is pushing volts and amps.) If you had a very high end system, it might. My system is ultra reveling and I try to space out absolutely all cables. If they have to cross, try and cross the cables at 90 degrees to each other. If you have no option but to keep them together, it won't make or break anything. As long as your not OCD, haha.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2023, 09:00 pm »
The low levels voltages aren't going to be near as bad as if you had a power cable in the mix (just as Bad 99 stated).

I would still try and keep those about 3" apart though so that you know you have zero affect.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2023, 10:03 pm »
Yep. 3 inch spacing between parallel AC power and interconnect cables is a good plan.
But, unshielded Belden bonded pair CAT6 is so good, you could tape it to a power cord and use it as a balanced interconnect with no problems.
And of course, ethernet and AC power are at such different frequencies that it's never a concern.

emailtim

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2023, 02:35 am »
It wouldn't hurt to run shielded Ethernet cable. 

If you haven't bought it yet, Cat7 supposedly has double shielding.  Each twisted pair is shielded and then the bundle of all 4 pairs are shielded again.

HT1278

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2023, 04:41 pm »
I will look into Cat 7, Thank you.   Wonder where I can get Cat 7 Ethernet by the foot that I can terminate later on my own. 

HT1278

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2023, 04:44 pm »
I have seen that Home Depot sells cat 6 by the foot.  Need white cable though. 

emailtim

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2023, 07:09 pm »
I will look into Cat 7, Thank you.   Wonder where I can get Cat 7 Ethernet by the foot that I can terminate later on my own.

Sorry, but I haven't bought it by the foot before, either pre-terminated or bulk boxes. 

Also, the lockdown has put my local B&M suppliers out of business so I now have to order online.  Frys was my normal goto for Ethernet cable but the entire chain is now gone.

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2023, 07:59 pm »
The terminations on a typical length of Cat 7 don't add much to the cost.

You could buy whatever length of terminated cable you like and re-terminate to shorter lengths yourself.

If you need a 100 ft. or longer, you can get spools of Cat 7 on Amazon, ebay, or Alibaba unterminated.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2023, 08:24 pm »
a new Belden paper:

Shielded vs. Unshielded Cables: What's the Right Answer?
https://www.belden.com/Blogs/Smart-Building/Shielded-vs-Unshielded-Cables