A factory tour at GR Research

Danny Richie

A factory tour at GR Research
« on: 19 Mar 2023, 06:15 pm »
A little behind the scenes look at what goes on here at GR Research: https://youtu.be/d6m2jJRcq3A

Early B.

Re: A factory tour at GR Research
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2023, 07:40 pm »
Awesome!!  Geez, that's a lot of real estate.

Badd99

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2023, 10:25 pm »
A little behind the scenes look at what goes on here at GR Research: https://youtu.be/d6m2jJRcq3A

Why are there alligator clips on your incoming speaker cable on your nx-treme?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2023, 11:20 pm »
They're holding some bypass caps in place until Danny solders them into place.

They were originally for testing out the Gen3 Sonicap bypasses  as an alternative to replace the Miflex bypass caps, since their availability for us has wained drastically in the last few months.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2023, 12:14 am »
Awesome!!  Geez, that's a lot of real estate.
Yeah, things are a bit different from the days when the showroom was Danny's living room, storage was a couple of shipping containers, and the shop was a store room and the garage. 
These are good days for GR-Research and well deserved. 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2023, 02:19 am »
I could only imagine the cool stuff just stashed in the prototype storage area. Real fun to see behind the scenes at what you guys are up against.  :thumb:

dayneger

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2023, 04:47 am »
There's something quite beautiful about not forgetting what it's like to be the broke college student who's discovered what it's like to experience remarkable music reproduction, and who wants to participate somehow.

This, spoken by someone who encountered real audio purely by accident courtesy of walking into the right shop thinking he might splurge on a new-fangled CD player for his parents for xmas... while broke in college.  "There's a starter system over there with Tracy Chapman's debut album in the player... go ahead and try it and I'll be with you in a bit."

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2023, 05:19 am »
There's something quite beautiful about not forgetting what it's like to be the broke college student who's discovered what it's like to experience remarkable music reproduction, and who wants to participate somehow.

This, spoken by someone who encountered real audio purely by accident courtesy of walking into the right shop thinking he might splurge on a new-fangled CD player for his parents for xmas... while broke in college.  "There's a starter system over there with Tracy Chapman's debut album in the player... go ahead and try it and I'll be with you in a bit."

And you can still see that love in current designs like The Brute, which is basically a high performance party speaker.  Love that.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2023, 05:03 pm »
Glad to see you kids getting along. Impressive facility; however, I was most impressed with Danny's speed. That man can flat out fly.

aricml

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2023, 06:02 pm »
I like the acoustic panels / corner traps you have up in your listening area! What type are those?

BrandonB

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2023, 06:15 pm »

You know I honestly don't know a whole lot of people that can afford the cost of mainstream high end audio equipment.  Amplifiers, Preamps, DAC's and speakers 10k and up.  If it wasn't for DIY and used equipment I would be totally out of the market. 

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2023, 11:14 pm »
You're not really in the industry if you don't have a pile of alligator clip leads.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2023, 11:57 pm »
Interesting that both Danny and Eric at Tekton are drag racers. Eric does classic dragsters. Must be a speaker thing. I also dabble in the hobby with my mid 8 second 2001 Bullitt edition Mustang. You think the Audiophile hobby is expensive... try race cars sometime.

Hafgrim

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2023, 12:37 am »
I like the acoustic panels / corner traps you have up in your listening area! What type are those?

They are from pi audio
https://piaudiogroup.com/
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisb3b2b-pi-audio-group-diffusers-room-treatments

Badd99

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2023, 05:17 pm »
They're holding some bypass caps in place until Danny solders them into place.

They were originally for testing out the Gen3 Sonicap bypasses  as an alternative to replace the Miflex bypass caps, since their availability for us has wained drastically in the last few months.

Thr vcap odam bypass are amazing imo... Then I added the 0.01 pure silver duelund and thst combo as a bypass 1.0 and 0.01 whew, but I went all vcap odam for thr otica tweeter and then 0.01 for the pure silver bypass