Which Pass integrated...?

Dave222

Which Pass integrated...?
« on: 10 Jan 2023, 12:50 pm »
Trying to decide between a PASS INT25 or a INT250 at the moment, and seeking opinions....
( Buying new, as 2nd hand scarce this side of the globe )

Using Moon CD 260 player as main source.
Speakers are Linn Isobariks ( known to be a bit difficult to drive )
Room is apx. 14' x 16' x 8'

Both sound v. good....  ( 250 costing more €€, but slightly better detailed, more power in "reserve".... )
So far, heat doesn't seem to be an issue.
Anybody regret going the INT250 route...?
Or think the INT25 had left them wishing they'd gone bigger....?

Any guidance appreciated...

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Which Pass integrated...?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2023, 02:44 pm »
INT-25
There is much to admire in the Pass Labs INT-25's measured performance. However, its intolerance in the treble for loads of 4 ohms and below means it will work best with loudspeakers whose impedance doesn't drop below 8 ohms at high frequencies.—John Atkinson

Linn Isobarik
Hi-Fi for Pleasure noted that the speakers' impedance, although quoted at 3 ohms nominal, dipped considerably at some parts of the audio spectrum.[Note 2]

[Note 2] normal sealed box system resonance at 31 Hz was present with a cruelly low characteristic at higher frequencies, with dips to 3 ohms, 100 Hz, and 2.3 ohms, 4 kHz. The average value was barely higher than 4, with the 'nominal' value very low at 3 ohm. These results show that the speaker represents a very difficult load to drive and will also be critical of the impedance of both the accompanying connecting cable and amplifier output.[4]

Will you be able to demo and return if not a good match?

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2023, 03:35 pm »
What about the INT-60 (best of both worlds?)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2023, 04:41 pm »
I own an X250.  I vote for the INT-250.  The reserve power is great, especially if you ever decide to buy more demanding speakers.

I use Magnepan 1.6 speakers and the amp never breaks a sweat and it almost never leaves class A.  The X250 runs in class A for the first 15 watts.

Dave222

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2023, 04:48 pm »
Tnks guys for the quick responses....

Yup, heard the ohmic load varies---hence the Brics' difficulties.....
Probably why Hi-power Naims were used ( and even tri-amping ) to help counter-act that when they first came out.
Mine are the DMS ver., so sealed boxes, with xlr i/ps.

Been advised by my dealer that the 60 has a different sound, not as sweet as the 25.
He's v. good, so as a result, I have the 25 and the 250 in my L/room atm, switching back and forth.
I'm committed to buying one, but the big Q is ......which one?

Both sound good.
Agreed, the 250's winning out in terms of headroom, and capability wrt future (?) speakers. It's also exhibiting a bit more clarity and detail.....
Just $$ extra....
Just trying to illicit opinions on which I should pull the trigger on....
Pitfalls / overkill / regrets / normal upgraditis issues.....

Dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2023, 05:10 pm »
I would avoid all amps with multiple output Transístors as Pass, but with such inefficient speakers you will need more than 200W muscular amp.
Só I would look an big Class D amp with a tube pre-amp IMO.

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2023, 05:43 pm »
One vote for Pass INT250. I prefer Class A, A/B over Class D amplification. Just my 2 cents. I don’t think the INT25 has enough horsepower for those speakers. You may want to consider a different speaker route vs a new amplification one.

Don P

jjss49

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2023, 06:52 pm »
i am a pass fan, for solid state, very hard to surpass, and they do bring a touch (or little more than a touch) of tubelike dimensionality

my old and trusty int150 is a never sell piece

xa30.5  int60  xa25 all fine pieces, located on slightly different spots on the clarity vs sweetness vs iron grip spectrum

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2023, 08:34 pm »
Forget the price difference, if you can afford either pick the one that sounds better to you.

Dave222

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2023, 11:35 pm »
Tnks again Guys...

My existing amp is a Mac7200 ( Class D )
The Mac is more versatile as regarding inputs ( Phono / Digital / Optical / Tuner / Headphones )
Whereas the PASS's are limiting on inputs ( x3 / x4 analog )
The 250 also takes up a lot of real estate
And as I've read elsewhere...there's that heat factor (although I haven't noticed that yet )

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2023, 02:52 am »
I would avoid all amps with multiple output Transístors as Pass, but with such inefficient speakers you will need more than 200W muscular amp.
Só I would look an big Class D amp with a tube pre-amp IMO.

And why is that?  My Pass amp is going strong at almost 20 years old.  Pass gear has a strong track record and even old Pass gear can be repaired.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2023, 02:59 am »
And why is that?  My Pass amp is going strong at almost 20 years old.  Pass gear has a strong track record and even old Pass gear can be repaired.
Wouldn't you prefer the less expensives Single Ended Transistors purity First Watts as SIT, Aleph or F5 with a hi sensitivity speaker?

Dave222

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2023, 09:56 am »
Have paid substantial amount already for one of the PASSs......
But at my instigation, Vendor offered me a home demo of both. So I'm confined to either / or.
The decision now rests with me on which one I keep.

Am just trying to glean whether I should go the extra, and opt for the 250.
And not regret the choice 6 months down the road...

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2023, 02:34 pm »
Linn Isobariks are quite inefficient speakers (86 dB); the additional power provided by the INT-250 would seem to be beneficial in most situations.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2023, 05:11 pm »
But at my instigation, Vendor offered me a home demo of both. So I'm confined to either / or.

My X250 is a pain to move due to its size and 105# weight.  But I love the power and dynamics.  Heat is not so much an issue as my BAT preamp with 8 tubes puts out more heat.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2023, 05:29 pm »

Before leave all that amount cash would be wise you email Nelson himself at Pass Labs site or at DiyAudio tô be sure the amp will drive those 2 ohms load without destroy itself.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2023, 06:12 pm »
Before leave all that amount cash would be wise you email Nelson himself at Pass Labs site or at DiyAudio tô be sure the amp will drive those 2 ohms load without destroy itself.

No need to worry about that.

https://www.passlabs.com/product_tags/integrated/

Dave222

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2023, 07:05 pm »
Certainly a pain to move around---kinda hook it up, hump it into place and hear it forever after....

If that's the beast I decide on, I'd probably put it on a trolley to slide in /out.
My rack is on wheels, but don't think the shelf would take the weight.

audiojem

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2023, 11:33 pm »
Pass Lover Here!
Before I bought a INT-25 I would look on the second hand market for a XP-12 and XA-25 which I own and think its a killer combo + easy to move around unless rack space is a issue.
I've owned a INT-60 which I loved.
There is no better company to do business with then Pass Labs they take great care of their customers Kent should teach a class on it.
Enjoy
AJ

audiojem

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2023, 10:55 am »
Sorry re read your original post regarding the Linn's go with the 250 you will not regret it.
Other option XP-12 and a larger Pass power amp but might be a bit more $$$$$
Enjoy
AJ