Please advise me on next streamer

Kw6

Please advise me on next streamer
« on: 19 Dec 2022, 10:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

Currently own a Bluesound Node USB going to my Gustard U18 DDC then either optical or coax to my Chord Qutest dac.

Someone I chat with said get a real streamer transport like a Lumin U2 mini.

Any audible improvements going to that expensive  option. I have also considered Project Stream Ultra 2, Ifi Zen, Innous or Holo Red.

Would like to hear your feedback?

avta

Re: Please advise me on next streamer
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2022, 03:42 pm »
I use a used Mac Mini with a M1 silicon chip. Works well. I use it only for streaming. I removed all the software I could that was not related to streaming and don't use it for anything else. Very reliable and relatively inexpensive.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2022, 08:43 pm »
HAL MS-6 is a solid option. Far beyond what you'd expect for the $.

HAL MS-6

Kw6

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2022, 03:53 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. For now I ordered the ifi zen stream of glitchy I may get a mac mini!

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2022, 04:03 am »
If you have any issues with the Zen Stream go here for help and advice from long term users and iFi staff.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-zen-stream-streaming-elevated-to-a-higher-plane.958391/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-zen-stream-setup-tips-tricks.961425/

Mine has worked flawlessly either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet using both coax and USB since May.  Lots of good LPS options without spending a fortune.

ketchup

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2022, 03:12 pm »
OP, I just upgraded a Node 2 to an Aurender N100SC and the difference was immediately apparent from the first couple of seconds of playing.  Every parameter is better.  It seems more like a different system than a different component.  For the record, the same DAC (Border Patrol SE) and digital cable were used with both streamers.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2022, 03:55 pm »
I can attest to the excellence of LUMIN products, two of which I own. I wanted something that offered better sound than the computer or portable units.  The LUMIN sound is MUCH better. The convenience and reliability of the LUMIN App adds to the LUMIN experience in a positive way. The LUMIN T2 that is currently in the main system isn't going anywhere. The D2 sounds very good at roughly half the price of the T2. If you are considering a top-shelf streamer and a top-shelf DAC in one box, and your budget would allow for it, either would be a great option.  If not, the U2 Mini has been getting rave reviews, as you probably already know.

No experience with iFi streamer solutions per se, but the iDSD Macro and Micro that I own offer incredible performance and value for their very reasonable prices. No reason for me to doubt that the Zen Stream would be any different..

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2022, 08:11 pm »
Getting close to 3 years now and I still love my NAD-C368 pre-amp/streamer/DAC; with various inputs, Dirac, BluOS and 2 sub-woofer outputs which I use, and it sounds very good!

jobiwon

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2022, 09:54 pm »
Bryston BDP 2  over on usaudiomart for $1k.   and a Bryston BDP-Pi over on Audiogon for ~$.5K.  Manic Moose interface is a bit Spartan but they will stream Qobuz/Tidal and the sound is really quite good.

I have the Pi.  Hung little 1TB solid state drive off the USB port and set up a Samdba Share and I can rip CDs or purchase files and move them strait onto the Pi.  They will also control an external DVD drive strait off the streamer as well and will rip/burn/play from that.

These units use Open Source MPD which has a reputation for excellent SQ.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2022, 12:52 am »
The just-released Wiim Pro seems to be the flavor of the month with great reviews from folks like Darko. Their cheaper model that came out earlier in the year has also been well-received. The Pro is currently $149 and the consensus is it punches far above its weight. On another forum the cheaper Wiim with a linear power supply was compared to the Lumin U2 and held its own.

(speaking only of spdif out, not analog outs which suck)

Kw6

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2022, 09:36 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will post back to let everyone know if I get any glitches on my Zen . Right now I am using the Cambridge 851N optical out to my new SMSL D300 dac.

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2022, 10:56 pm »
OP, I just upgraded a Node 2 to an Aurender N100SC and the difference was immediately apparent from the first couple of seconds of playing.  Every parameter is better.  It seems more like a different system than a different component.  For the record, the same DAC (Border Patrol SE) and digital cable were used with both streamers.

+1 for Aurender. I have N100H, very happy with the SQ, app, and support. Replaces SoTM/Roon, RPi/Volumio, Sonos ZP-80, etc. "Whole nother world"

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2022, 02:56 am »
Yeah I heard Aurrender are top notch like Lumin, Innous and Auriclic but on tight budget as I need to get a new tube amp which would have greater impact on overall sound.

JackD

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2022, 03:21 am »
What is the top end limit for what you want to spend and are you just streaming from one of the services like Tidal or Qobuz or local files too?  As the Quetest only has Coax, Optical and USB inputs you can do the Zen Stream and a good LPS like the LHY LPS25VA for under $600 and buy both from US based dealers.  If your not opposed to buy an LPS from China you can get the Teradak LPS for much less than that. The Holo Red once it's out in the wild will be $800 and has it's own internal linear power supply.  There should be a review of it coming from Golden Sound shortly. In one of my systems the Zen Stream easily bested the Aries Mini which had bested the Node years earlier.

Kw6

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2022, 06:08 pm »
What is the top end limit for what you want to spend and are you just streaming from one of the services like Tidal or Qobuz or local files too?  As the Quetest only has Coax, Optical and USB inputs you can do the Zen Stream and a good LPS like the LHY LPS25VA for under $600 and buy both from US based dealers.  If your not opposed to buy an LPS from China you can get the Teradak LPS for much less than that. The Holo Red once it's out in the wild will be $800 and has it's own internal linear power supply.  There should be a review of it coming from Golden Sound shortly. In one of my systems the Zen Stream easily bested the Aries Mini which had bested the Node years earlier.

Jack D thanks for your reply! Yes I do just basic streaming from Spotify and Tidal PCM. I use either coax or optical. My streamer is Cambridge 851N. I was very curious as so many people said it was a giant killer for the price. I also own Bluesound Node N130 usb.

Btw did you say Zen was better than the $3k Auriclic as a basic streamer? Yes I already scouted a LPS from AliExpress. What voltage do you recommend 9v 1.8 amp?

JackD

« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2022, 12:30 am »
No it's not better than the Aries G1 that's in the main system now but it is significantly better than the Aries Mini it replaced.  In a shoot out several years back I compared the Aries Mini against the Node for 30 days. At the time the were both $499 and used their own proprietary software.  I found the Aries Mini to be a better device than the Node sound wise.  In addition it had more output options and the ability to add an outboard LPS which the Node doesn't then or now.  The Zen Stream will allow you to use either the Coax or USB inputs on your Chord DAC.  I just recently tested the two outputs against each other using the same make and model cable and heard no difference that I could identify so if you have a Coax cable you are happy with then you are good.  I am using a 12 volt Teradak LPS with R-Core transformer that I got from Ali Express.  Also tried the 15v LPS from the Auralic and it works fine as well. With the Zen you will be able to use the Connect apps from both Tidal and Spotify then just use the iFi app for the unit setup and the Internet Radio function.  There app does include quite a number of FLAC radio stations including all of the Radio Paradise channels plus a search function for thousands of others.  For simplicity's sake just leave it on the AIO setting even after the setup. 

This is the power supply I bought. The premium version.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803509834959.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.141f201fVbGcKK&algo_pvid=20fe1001-f805-4274-b324-29dd0e3c64a6&algo_exp_id=20fe1001-f805-4274-b324-29dd0e3c64a6-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000026851211166%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%2151.04%21%21%21%21%21%402103250d16591474965192445edff6%2112000026851211166%21sea&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

There are of course plenty of other options. 

Kw6

« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2022, 06:02 pm »
No it's not better than the Aries G1 that's in the main system now but it is significantly better than the Aries Mini it replaced.  In a shoot out several years back I compared the Aries Mini against the Node for 30 days. At the time the were both $499 and used their own proprietary software.  I found the Aries Mini to be a better device than the Node sound wise.  In addition it had more output options and the ability to add an outboard LPS which the Node doesn't then or now.  The Zen Stream will allow you to use either the Coax or USB inputs on your Chord DAC.  I just recently tested the two outputs against each other using the same make and model cable and heard no difference that I could identify so if you have a Coax cable you are happy with then you are good.  I am using a 12 volt Teradak LPS with R-Core transformer that I got from Ali Express.  Also tried the 15v LPS from the Auralic and it works fine as well. With the Zen you will be able to use the Connect apps from both Tidal and Spotify then just use the iFi app for the unit setup and the Internet Radio function.  There app does include quite a number of FLAC radio stations including all of the Radio Paradise channels plus a search function for thousands of others.  For simplicity's sake just leave it on the AIO setting even after the setup. 

This is the power supply I bought. The premium version.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803509834959.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.141f201fVbGcKK&algo_pvid=20fe1001-f805-4274-b324-29dd0e3c64a6&algo_exp_id=20fe1001-f805-4274-b324-29dd0e3c64a6-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000026851211166%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%2151.04%21%21%21%21%21%402103250d16591474965192445edff6%2112000026851211166%21sea&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

There are of course plenty of other options.

Thanks for your helpful tips! 😊

I will check it out! Btw I using the SMSL D300 giant killer DAC. Same resolution as Qutest while sounding more natural like analog or live music less digital.

Kw6

« Reply #17 on: 26 Dec 2022, 08:21 pm »
Found on web another streamer that has lot of chatter for good value the Mercury V2 based of raspi.

Kw6

« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2022, 11:24 pm »
Hi Jack,

I finally got my Zen and will set up tonite! Hate cheap small power supply though😒

JackD

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2022, 11:30 pm »
Is it the 9 or 12 volt version and yeah it's not great but for test purposes it gets the job done.