DAC DAC TL ? about the XLR and adapter use

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
DAC DAC TL ? about the XLR and adapter use
« on: 6 Jan 2022, 04:53 pm »
I Bought the TL DAC from a member here and I just read a review that states if I want to use single end I would need SPECIAL adapters that off the shelf adapters will not work (They could short out the DAC)

I Looked on the DAC site and did not see any special adapters offered, I would think as conscience as Tommy was with his builds he would certainly have made any special adapters available

Anyone have any experience with this, or knowledge of same ? 

Also if this were the case how could I use an off the shelf XLR cable to go straight from the DAC DAC  to the Cherry amp ?  This almost seems like some mis information afoot but never hurts to ask those more in the know

Thanks

DRHamp

Re: DAC DAC TL ? about the XLR and adapter use
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2022, 06:19 pm »
I Bought the TL DAC from a member here and I just read a review that states if I want to use single end I would need SPECIAL adapters that off the shelf adapters will not work (They could short out the DAC)

I Looked on the DAC site and did not see any special adapters offered, I would think as conscience as Tommy was with his builds he would certainly have made any special adapters available

Anyone have any experience with this, or knowledge of same ? 

Also if this were the case how could I use an off the shelf XLR cable to go straight from the DAC DAC  to the Cherry amp ?  This almost seems like some mis information afoot but never hurts to ask those more in the know

Thanks

A few months back, I had asked Tommy why they were no longer on the web site and he thanked me for bringing it to his attention and that they were inadvertently left off.
I cannot confirm that a standard RCA female to XLR male will not work or will damage the DAC / Amp.  I do know there is a difference:

The adapter on the left is an adapter supplied by DAC - the adapter on the right is a standard RCA to XLR adapter from Amazon.
To my knowledge, all DAC amps and DACs were shipped with these adapters.

joessportster

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2022, 06:28 pm »
I certainly appreciate the response. I know I will likely only be able to get any on the used market now and I suspect folks will likely hold onto them. I only saw this statement in connection with the DAC, So I now suspect the same is true of the amps.

Anyone with further info on the differences would be greatly appreciated. I guess it looks like I am now stuck looking for a balance Pre....... That will certainly hurt the wallet :duh:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2022, 06:36 pm »

joessportster

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2022, 06:55 pm »
OK So it increases distortion, But there is no mention of long term effects ? and of course, if I can I would certainly prefer to have the amps and dac running at optimal performance

I dont suppose anyone here has a pair of the adapters they no longer use and would care to sell them ?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2022, 07:24 pm »
Take the adapters apart and see how they are wired.

joessportster

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2022, 07:58 pm »
Would love to do just that problem is I dont have one to take apart  :(

RonN5

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2022, 12:35 am »
Actually, the adapters that came with the 2Cherry amplifier had audible distortion in my system. I called Tommy and he sent me Neutrik adapters (available on Amazon)…. Problem solved.

joessportster

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2022, 02:10 am »
Actually, the adapters that came with the 2Cherry amplifier had audible distortion in my system. I called Tommy and he sent me Neutrik adapters (available on Amazon)…. Problem solved.

Are we sure Tommy did not modify them prior to sending them to you ?

I have a work around, But if I like the sound I get,  it will cost me at least 2 K to swap out my current Pre and Crossover to full balanced. Further down the Rabbit hole I go  :duh:

I and the wife are happy with the current sound, But all the good things said about Cherry got me started again

Current setup is
Audio GD Master 7 DAC > Transcendent Grounded Grid Upgraded Pre > Marschand XM9 X-Over > Highs out to a pair of Quick silver Horn Mono Amps > which go to a pair of Lii F-15 FR Drivers in my clone Spatial X-2  Marschand Low out goes to a crown XLS1002 > Eminence Alpha 15 Bass augmentation Crossing at 200 Hz

My work around will take the Marchande and the  GG Pre out
I will have to go from the DAC DAC TL with an XLR Splitter cable. 1 leg of the split cable will go to a Nobsound NS-o5P output on the 05P  running to the cherry monos which will power the Lii F-15 at Full range.

The other leg off the split cable will go the the crown XLS1005 where I will set a low pass at 200 HZ and run that to the alpha Bass Aug
drivers

Thoughts anyone, Know of a better way to get it playing ?

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2022, 02:42 am »
Hi Joe,
Are you trying to replace the Audio GD with the DAC DAC?

Can you use software volume control before the DAC DAC (or GD...), then split the XLR output and run to the separate Crown (low) and Cherry (full range) amps? That way you can leave the Crown amp at a fixed volume. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole pic.

I'd skip the Nobsound personally. 

I am pretty sure that the adapters are stock Neutriks. Nothing trick about the wiring.

When I had to use such adapters to switch from RCA to balanced to feed various Cherry amps, I upgraded these to ones available from Cardas. I truly felt that that Cardas adapters were better and worth it in the big picture. And pretty too.

At one time Tommy made me some ground-lifted adapters but these were never for commercial use.

I had a beautiful CAT SL-1 preamp that was RCA all the way, but Tommy's amps were never going to be anything other than balanced. I just wasn't happy with having to use the adapters. Had to make a choice. Sold the CAT to go full balanced into the amp to give them what they deserve. They are amongst the best made so they deserve the very best signal!!

Adding that separate crossed-over sub signal is going to add some complication to that set-up. You have dedication!

As far as the amps, on many occasion I have seen a low-watt tube amp be replaced with hundreds of watts of DAC power, always to the better even with super efficient speakers.

Good luck.
Mike

joessportster

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2022, 02:52 am »
Hi Joe,
Are you trying to replace the Audio GD with the DAC DAC?

Can you use software volume control before the DAC DAC (or GD...), then split the XLR output and run to the separate Crown (low) and Cherry (full range) amps? That way you can leave the Crown amp at a fixed volume. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole pic.

I'd skip the Nobsound personally. 

I am pretty sure that the adapters are stock Neutriks. Nothing trick about the wiring.

When I had to use such adapters to switch from RCA to balanced to feed various Cherry amps, I upgraded these to ones available from Cardas. I truly felt that that Cardas adapters were better and worth it in the big picture. And pretty too.

At one time Tommy made me some ground-lifted adapters but these were never for commercial use.

Good luck.
Mike

Hey Mike

You nailed it pretty much.

I do use J-River and can control the volume with that. I figured the NobSound would give me a better chance at balancing the output between the FR driver and the Bass. If the Crown Gain has enough swing I might get lucky. I fear the Cherry amps will have more gain than the crown can match in which case I would have to use the Nobsound.

Thanks

RonN5

joessportster

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2022, 03:12 pm »
Another option from a credible company.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/products/products/benchmark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating

Thanks for the link, Looks like a nice cable. Cant believe a US based company sells a cable at that price. Only 1 problem. The Cherry DAC DAC and amps are Digital and they state   "Do not use this cable with digital signals."  Not sure why they state this but I would certainly think they have a good reason

FedEx separated my mono amps 1 delivered, the other is on vacation apparently.  I ordered some monoprice XLR to RCA 1 meter cables off Amazon and was able to test the one amp it seems to work fine. 1 thing I noticed while testing is just how good the amp sounds when compared to my Tube amps.

I left my Tube mono hooked up to the left channel, I connected the Cherry to the right channel, Using my Marchande crossover I adjusted the gain to get them close (The Cherry has "WAY" more gain than the QS) once I had them somewhat matched I was able to set back and listen to a center image as well as lean to the right and hear mainly the Cherry I was shocked by the fidelity.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2022, 04:06 pm »
The Cherry DAC DAC and amps are Digital and they state   "Do not use this cable with digital signals."  Not sure why they state this but I would certainly think they have a good reason

They are not digital from the output of the DAC to the input of the amp, it is an analog signal.

https://www.cherryamp.com/dac-dac-d-to-a-convertor

joessportster

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan 2022, 04:40 pm »
They are not digital from the output of the DAC to the input of the amp, it is an analog signal.

https://www.cherryamp.com/dac-dac-d-to-a-convertor

May be an option then thanks for the clarification  :thumb: