The massive difference speaker efficiency makes

RonN5

Re: The massive difference speaker efficiency makes
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2021, 05:48 pm »
I've seen systems where the usable volume range only goes to 9 o'clock! 

Are you saying that if the target is 85db peak listening....and one preamp gets you there at 9 o'clock and another at 1 o'clock, the playback with the 9 o'clock preamp will not be as dynamic as the one with the 1 o'clock setting?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #21 on: 22 Sep 2021, 06:11 pm »

Are you saying that if the target is 85db peak listening....and one preamp gets you there at 9 o'clock and another at 1 o'clock, the playback with the 9 o'clock preamp will not be as dynamic as the one with the 1 o'clock setting?
The short answer is YES!

85dB is way low, by the way.  We aim for at least 100dB peak to leave plenty of headroom.  Plus, with speakers like the JTRs, we look to create a physical impact with the bass.  That takes more like 110dB peak, or even 120dB in some systems.  :o

Regarding the volume setting, it depends too much on the system as a whole to just provide a rule-of-thumb listening level for a given volume control position, but the more usable range the better, without being starved for power at the max, is what we're seeking.

So, the ultimate would be that you'll never want to go higher than the max volume, but you won't typically be listening at the bottom range of the volume control, digital or analog.  When we go digital, we start talking about effective bits and such....

RonN5

« Reply #22 on: 22 Sep 2021, 06:42 pm »
I believe that what you are saying is that the JTRs and most other speakers don't really provide slam until they are played LOUD.

I picked 85 db because it is a "safe" listening level for more than a couple hours.  What I've read is that exposure at 100db is "supposed" to be limited to 15 minutes give or take for hearing safety.

So, how to get impact and not have to listen at 110 db....is this not one of the advantage of using a sub....so that you can set the listening level overall for the mains at a safe level then dial in the sub to give you the impact/tone/sound that you might want overall?

lokie

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2021, 03:07 pm »
Second reason is high efficiency speakers just sound more like real instruments to me.  There's a dynamic life and engagement that I've just never heard with lower efficiency speakers.  And I don't mean just big dynamic swings.  I mean more the micro bursts of energy at the medium and quiet parts.  It's just incredible.
That's my experience as well. Very hard to explain but once I heard it, there was no going back.

I was living with a couple of very sophisticated speakers (Eggleston and Living Voice) and brought in a vintage Tannoy into the mix which was rolled off on both ends, tweeter was a huge compromise compared to the other "world class" tweeters and the mid-bass was a gooey mess in comparison. BUT, the micro dynamics (not to be confused w micro detail) and the way it loaded the room was revelatory.

I remember the first thought I had when I heard it... you know what it's like when you're waiting on a band or artists to play live and they come out on stage and they hit a note or two, sometimes as a warm up or just tuning? And you get this tingly excitement because the dynamics and the tone is so beautiful, full and loud and the anticipation just gets you excited and emotional  at what's about to come? The room gets instantly electrified. In that moment you never say... wow that tweeter sounds awesome or "what detail"! You just think about music. That's what I get with high efficient systems.