Can I A/B at RMAF?

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Can I A/B at RMAF?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm »
Gotta love a happy ending. Enjoy RMAF  :)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2010, 01:15 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:59 pm »
Last year at RMAF, Nordost conducted a series of cable seminars that included A/B testing of Nordost cables against copper wire cables as well as the most expensive Nordost cables compared to their "entry level" cable. Everyone I talked to who attended the seminar told me they clearly heard the difference, even those who did not want to hear a difference. One of the points made was that the more revealing the electronics and speakers, the more important the cables.

Laura

werd

« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:10 pm »
Last year at RMAF, Nordost conducted a series of cable seminars that included A/B testing of Nordost cables against copper wire cables as well as the most expensive Nordost cables compared to their "entry level" cable. Everyone I talked to who attended the seminar told me they clearly heard the difference, even those who did not want to hear a difference. One of the points made was that the more revealing the electronics and speakers, the more important the cables.

Laura

Good post thank VL
 :thumb:

figcon

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:03 am »
I've helped Lou out at a couple of the shows and trying to do cable demos in his room, while the show was up and running, would really interfere with his ability to make the best possible statement regarding his products. He and all the vendors take a lot of time to make sure their rooms are as perfect sounding as they can be and throwing in a big variable, like cable swapping, would not be good for him. It would only take one lousy cable and one important reviewer to undo what has taken him years to accomplish.

Still he has found a way to try and satisfy you, which is what Lou does.

By the way, I own a pair of Ulysses in Maple, with the AP crossover and I don't think I've ever heard a better speaker at any price, ever. Driving them with a pair of Herron M1's and alternatively, a pair of Rogue Apollo's. Both are incredible sounding with these speakers. Can't wait for my bass modules.

david12

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2010, 09:10 am »
Dave,
     I'm just an end user sharing my personal opinion based on my real world experience. Not buying or selling , therefore the only person I need to to prove anything to is ME. Definitely do your own due diligence like I did mine. :thumb: I also agree w,Jriggy find the speakers you like then worry about cables, tweaking, etc after.
     I personally could not waste the time/investment of flying to RMAF (as much as I would like too) to check out Lou's speaks. IMO rather put the $ into the gear/music.
     As you can tell already, Lou is a great guy and he hooked me up with a Da-rma (w/o AP mod) owner near my house and I spent several hours listening and grinnning from ear to ear.
     So now that your investing your time/money to check out his speaks,etc and perhaps be able to do a cable swap, you can then substantiate my rhetoric :wink:
     Enjoy!

That has to be the way of Demoing any item sold direct in HiFi, particularly heavy items like speakers. You look at the other small manufacturers, Tyler, Reimer, when he was still around. They kept lists of customers happy to Dem for them and connected them up with potential purchasers.

I would actually prefer to go to a home Demo, not a shop. With the latter, you are acutely aware it is their business. You can detect the desparation in some of them, the need to make that sale. I never go to a shop unless I am ready to buy from them, if I like the product. It is quite wrong, in my opinion, to buy elswhere or second hand. Still, you feel under that subliminal pressure.

At a home demo, there is no pressure. You can often take some of your own kit and spend a pleasant few hours, with a fellow enthusiast/obsessive.

Just to remind anyone interested, my AP modded Da-RMas are available to hear in the Southern UK, near Oxford, if anyone is interested. Lou will put you in contact

David