ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

twodown

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #360 on: 9 Oct 2008, 12:00 am »
Does anyone know the estimated hour life of the DRs?

I'm not sure on the life of the DRs, but I'm fond enough that a second pair will be arriving tomorrow  :D

On another note: I recently upgraded from stock to a Phillips GZ32 + RCA 6CG7 clear tops (prefer over the RCA 6CG7 black plates in my system)....now I want too see if there is more out there  8)
Although if I didn't follow this thread  :duh: I would be more than satisfied with this combination.  However, I'm considering the purchase of a 5AR4 metal base and/or HW GZ37.

I'm currently running a Mullard 5AR4 (black) + 6H30-DRs in my LS 36.5....
Any thoughts on replacing the 5AR4 (black) with a metal base 5AR4 + a HW GZ37 in the TP or combination of  black/metal 5AR4 rectifiers in 36.5 and TP? 

Cheers

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #361 on: 9 Oct 2008, 12:31 am »
Twodown,
IMO the killer combo is:
LS 36.5
 * metal base 5AR4/GZ34 + DR's
TP
 * HW GZ37 + (pick a pair.....clear tops, Raytheon black plates, another pair of DR's, a pair of 6N1P's or a pair of vintage 6N6P's).

The other thing I'd try is moving the metal base to the TP and using a Tung Sol 5U4GB in the pre.

twodown

« Reply #362 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:06 am »
Twodown,
IMO the killer combo is:
LS 36.5
 * metal base 5AR4/GZ34 + DR's
TP
 * HW GZ37 + (pick a pair.....clear tops, Raytheon black plates, another pair of DR's, a pair of 6N1P's or a pair of vintage 6N6P's).

The other thing I'd try is moving the metal base to the TP and using a Tung Sol 5U4GB in the pre.

Thanks for the insight Ted  :thumb:

I've been amazed at the change by adding the GZ32 rectifier + clear tops in the TP, but there seems to be a consensus on the MB 5AR4, HW GZ37 along with 6H30-DRs....I think I will give your "killer" combo a test run (I also have a TS 5U4GB)!

Cheers,

EDIT:  Any concerns with the TP stock fuse and current draw of HW GZ37?

rydenfan

« Reply #363 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:07 am »
Michael, I compared the metal base 5AR4 to my Mullard fat base in my 36.5 and actually preferred the fat base. I then compared the metal base to the HW GZ37 in my TP and went with the GZ37. This was while I owned Dali's, and since you own Dali's you may have a similar experience??

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #364 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:59 am »
That's the beauty (and sometimes frustration) of tube rolling.  The synergy comes together (redundant?) with the most unexpected bedfellows sometimes.  The influence of impedance, power, tone (speakers), cable flavors, all make for a set of variables that are often-times overlooked.  I guess it's why we have a thread with hundreds of ideas here, and there are few if any "standards" or empirical truths.  I woudl NEVER have thought my DR's would marry up with a GZ32 in the TP, given the previous experience with both individually, but tonight's listening session was as good is it gets.   :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #365 on: 9 Oct 2008, 03:26 am »
That's the beauty (and sometimes frustration) of tube rolling.  The synergy comes together (redundant?) with the most unexpected bedfellows sometimes.  The influence of impedance, power, tone (speakers), cable flavors, all make for a set of variables that are often-times overlooked.  I guess it's why we have a thread with hundreds of ideas here, and there are few if any "standards" or empirical truths.  I woudl NEVER have thought my DR's would marry up with a GZ32 in the TP, given the previous experience with both individually, but tonight's listening session was as good is it gets.   :thumb:

With the stand alone TP the consensus is GZ32/DR combo - you guys with the 36.5 have even more variables to deal with!
Question - is it worth trying the GZ37 or calling it quits?

I've tried the 6N6P's this evening, but I'm in uncharted territory having to use a Rotel 1098 Processor and Butler amp while my amp is away for hot rodding.  I'm not going to be able to draw any conclusions on these for a few weeks.   

jwes

« Reply #366 on: 9 Oct 2008, 04:13 pm »

With the stand alone TP the consensus is GZ32/DR combo - you guys with the 36.5 have even more variables to deal with!

Hi - I've been traveling and off the board for a bit.  Is the GZ32/DR really the new consensus?  What happened to the consensus on the GZ34?   :(  I got the NOS fat black base from the 50's and it wasn't that cheap.  And dammit, I want to feel good about it!!!   aa

Seriously, I'm curious what the feeling is on that comparison if someone's done it directly...

Philistine

« Reply #367 on: 9 Oct 2008, 04:40 pm »

Hi - I've been traveling and off the board for a bit.  Is the GZ32/DR really the new consensus?  What happened to the consensus on the GZ34?   :(  I got the NOS fat black base from the 50's and it wasn't that cheap.  And dammit, I want to feel good about it!!!   aa

Seriously, I'm curious what the feeling is on that comparison if someone's done it directly...

Sorry my mistake - GZ34/DR combination.
What I'm really trying to find out is performance differences between the metal GZ34 and the GZ37.

kenreau

Question regarding tube matching.  I bought a set of (3)each 6H30 DR's last year to put in my 36.5.  It only uses two of those tubes.  I have (1) single DR spare.  I now own a MWI TP and am interested in exploring some of the tube rolling recommendations I have been reading here (ie using the 6H30DR's). 

Do I need to look for a new "matched" pair of 6H30DR's? or just a new single tube to go with my spare 6H30?  Is it desired that the two tubes are closely matched?

What is a good, reasonably priced, source for these now?

Thanks,
Kenreau

twodown

« Reply #369 on: 10 Oct 2008, 12:26 am »
Michael, I compared the metal base 5AR4 to my Mullard fat base in my 36.5 and actually preferred the fat base. I then compared the metal base to the HW GZ37 in my TP and went with the GZ37. This was while I owned Dali's, and since you own Dali's you may have a similar experience??

Hey David, possible considering some of the similarities between our systems (maybe I can borrow your amp for an even closer comparison  :drool:).
But isn't that some of the fun of this hobby.....besides I'll have that 'I wonder if those tubes would sound better' feeling in the back of my head without an "in-house" audition.

A second matched pair of 6H30-DRs arrived today with MB 5AR4 and HW GZ34 on the way....will report back on impressions.
Thanks to all  :thumb:

Dodgers 2 Phillies 3   :(  should be a great series

Cheers

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2008, 01:19 pm by twodown »

CometCKO

« Reply #370 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:01 am »
It is way to quiet around here lately, we need to buy some tubes  :D

I am wondering if anyone here knows about the 5931 tube? It is a rare military type rectifier tube, equivalent to the 5U4GB. It is supposed to be similar to the Tung Sol 5U4GB but punchier with more dynaimcs and resolution. They seem to go for about $60. I very well might try one, but thought I would also check and see if anyone here has some experience with this tube?

Well most of you guys are definitely beyond my price point with the metal-based GZ34's et al...  but I DO know about the 5931.  The Sylvanias I have give the Transporter a big, bold, but somewhat raw sound.  I prefer the Tung-Sol 5U4-G  or 5U4GB.  If you want to try a couple of mine, I'd ship them to you...  Seems like it's the thing to do around here these days  :D

Frank

CometCKO

« Reply #371 on: 12 Oct 2008, 01:20 am »
Tube updates (for my Modwright Plat. Truth Sony 9100 and LS 36.5):

Finally got and tried a Tung Sol 5U4G (thanks to Jerrym). Very nice and a great value. More forward and dynamic, with sharper leading edge transients, than any of the other tubes I've tried. Less ease and depth, less holographic, than the others, especially, of course, the HW GZ37.

Most interestingly, it seems to me most like the Mullard/Philips GZ32 of the 5V4 family. They share a tighter (pronounced leading edge transients), more focused sound. The GZ32, while less forward and dynamic, is more refined, and still without peer in its three dimensional portrayal of individual images, particularly voices, which can be eerily real.

Overall, I still most prefer the HW GZ37 in the CDP (though it is fun to switch in the GZ32 or 5U4G, depending on source material) and a 5AR4 in the linestage. Mostly using a metal base Bugle Boy 5AR4 but at times I've found a smooth plate '70s Japanese Mullard very enjoyable. The latter has a fuller, richer bass and lower mid-range; if less air, delicacy, ambient detail and depth than the Amperex. The Japanese pieces are a great bargain, however, at the going rate of around $60. NOS.

FWIW, if anyone here is interested, I'll be putting one of my extra NOS HW GZ37s (black base, grey plates) up for sale at the price I paid for it at the end of last year ($30-75. less than the dealers are asking now). First dibs to Jerrym.

Rob

Well, if you do decide to part with your GZ37, I'd like to give it a try :drool:.  Let me know?

Tx!

Frank

rydenfan

« Reply #372 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:45 am »
I have been playing around a bit more the last night or two. I have tried my HW GZ37, Tung Sol 5U4GB, and a military brown base GZ32 (CV593). The Tung Sol is fun for its dynamics but I just lose to much top end detail for my liking. The GZ32 AND GZ37 is a bit trickier. Nothing compares to the bass of the GZ37, it almost sounds like the difference between having a sub on and off in my system. It can almost border on too much bass but when it is on, boy is it sweet  :drool: The GZ37 can at times sound a bit too dark for my liking. I think I may need to find a nicer GZ32 (possibly a metal base) and then see what I think.

rpf

« Reply #373 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:16 pm »
I have been playing around a bit more the last night or two. I have tried my HW GZ37, Tung Sol 5U4GB, and a military brown base GZ32 (CV593). The Tung Sol is fun for its dynamics but I just lose to much top end detail for my liking. The GZ32 AND GZ37 is a bit trickier. Nothing compares to the bass of the GZ37, it almost sounds like the difference between having a sub on and off in my system. It can almost border on too much bass but when it is on, boy is it sweet  :drool: The GZ37 can at times sound a bit too dark for my liking. I think I may need to find a nicer GZ32 (possibly a metal base) and then see what I think.

David,

A metal base GZ32? I've never heard of one.  :scratch:  If you're ready to sample the black base one (from '66) I'll post it down to you (just send me your address in case I no longer have it). I still usually prefer the HW GZ37, although sometimes it's fun to switch. As I posted earlier, the GZ32 excels in imaging and presents gorgeous vocals.

Rob

PS: for those who have inquired about the HW GZ37 I'm selling, I'm still waiting to hear back from Jerrym who's been at RMAF. If he doesn't want it I'll go down the list of PMs in the order received.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #374 on: 16 Oct 2008, 02:57 am »

David, do you mean the GZ32 can sound dark?  or the same GZ37 that provides sweet bass can sound dark?

And I too have never seen a metal base GZ32.

rydenfan

« Reply #375 on: 16 Oct 2008, 12:09 pm »
The GZ37 can sound a bit dark sometimes. It is an amzing tube that does many things well, and in my system the bass it has compared to other tubes is just crazy. Ted, let me know if you want to swap a metal base GZ34 for my HW GZ37 for a week or two?

I thought for some reason I had seen a metal based GZ32 but clearly I am wrong. I have a brown base military version of a Mullard right now the CV593. It sounds like I need to try Rob's early black base (thanks for the offer). I think I am also going to pick up the larger military version of the 5U4GB. If I could get the dynamics of my Tung Sol with more top end, that would make for a very interesting tube...

funkmonkey

« Reply #376 on: 18 Oct 2008, 12:20 am »
for those who have inquired about the HW GZ37 I'm selling, I'm still waiting to hear back from Jerrym who's been at RMAF. If he doesn't want it I'll go down the list of PMs in the order received.

Still interested, if nobody else has snapped it up yet.  :wink:

what's the HW part ?  Is it a code from Phillips, or Mullard or something? Very few mentions of this tube through Google (most of them right here).

twodown

« Reply #377 on: 18 Oct 2008, 01:05 am »
for those who have inquired about the HW GZ37 I'm selling, I'm still waiting to hear back from Jerrym who's been at RMAF. If he doesn't want it I'll go down the list of PMs in the order received.

Still interested, if nobody else has snapped it up yet.  :wink:

what's the HW part ?  Is it a code from Phillips, or Mullard or something? Very few mentions of this tube through Google (most of them right here).

Hey Funk....HW= High Wycombe (England) tubes made in the early '50s.  If you are thinking about trying a GZ37 the HW "Big Bottle" seems the way to go.  I just inserted one in my transporter (still to soon to comment...but so far so good  :drool:).  You can find them on Tube World (a bit pricey though).

Cheers,

funkmonkey

« Reply #378 on: 18 Oct 2008, 07:55 pm »
Thanks twodown.  I saw them there, and a few around, but just not with the "HW" designation.  Thanks for the clarification.

RodneyM

« Reply #379 on: 21 Oct 2008, 11:55 pm »
Hey guys! Good evening to everyone. This is Rodney in Raleigh, N.C. with VTubeAudio. I see a few questions here about the rectifier / tubes of choice for the ModWright Transporter. I have rolled nearly every tube imaginable, and a few not on any list here.

I really believe that the most important thing is to get "very strong" NOS tubes. A tube can look new or old and be the exact opposite. It is the hardest part of the tube business, telling the difference. A tube can test weak or strong on your tube testers but this is still very misleading. The true test is how it sounds. That is why I love this forum.

Rectifiers to try:

The GZ37 did not impress me, not even the Wycombe.

The JAN 5U4's are really good but may over emphasize the bass just a bit. If that is your thing then it is a great rectifier.

The Metal Base GZ34, all years, lends itself to balance and clarity in the sound. In other words it has no faults and doesn’t' do anything wrong. It also doesn't boost or magnify any frequency / tone but delivers a high quality sound, high class sound.

The Philips branded GZ34 / 1965 black base / single halo getter / smooth dual gray plates / chrome top / tubular shape (in my opinion) is the best. I am trying to find a few more to build my stock up a bit before advertising this fact. I think I only have one. LOL!

The best output tubes are the 6H30DR's and this is sad. I am trying to restock and could use some help finding new supplies of them.

I tried quite a few other tubes for the left and right outputs but pledged my loyalty to the 6H30n-dp's and quit rolling tubes on the outputs because I didn't see any use in it.

Please at least visit my EBay auction for the Bugle Boy Metal Base GZ34 1957 rectifier. I slipped / made a mistake when posting it and started the auction at .01 without a reserve. OOOps! I honestly did not do that on purpose. LOL!

So here is the deal. If anyone from Audiocircle wins the Metal Base GZ34 Bugle Boy, emails me that they saw this posting on AudioCircle, I will give them free of charge my Philips GZ34 or a brand new matched pair of 6H30Dr's. Your choice!

Thanks for your help and support. The VTubeaudio Website will be up and running, completely new look, very soon. Please wish me luck on it, the developer is pulling out new technology and promises that it will be very special when completed.

I do hope to find more time to follow this thread. I love it! I will check back to read up on the latest tube rolling news occasionally. What you guys have going on here is fantastic. Keep it up!

Take care guys and have a great day!