Apple Remotes

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Apple Remotes
« on: 12 Mar 2015, 06:32 pm »
We've been using the Apple Remote as our remote for our LDR preamp products for well over a year now. We commission new preamps with new Apple remotes every week and have found the Apple remote to be very reliable.

Recently one of our customers purchased their own Apple remote and proceeded to pair it up with their preamp but were not able to get the pairing to work. Of course I then tested things here and went back and forth with several Apple remotes with no trouble. Hmmmm.

Then today as I was commissioning a new preamp with a new remote the preamp was balking at certain commands and generally being flakey. I then paired the preamp up with a different remote and everything worked as normal.

I'm now convinced that every so often Apple builds a lemon remote that kind of works but not quite right. If you run into this problem with a remote you purchased from us please let me know.  If you purchased a remote somewhere else I suggest you try to have them replace it.

Again, the Apple remotes are usually flawless but once in a while you'll find a rotten Apple...as it were.

jparkhur

Re: Apple Remotes
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2015, 07:14 pm »
I had a box of old white apple remotes and found that one of the dozen had the same issue.  I replaced the battery and tried to fiddle with it. No luck.   I was lucky to have 11 others on hand.  I have yet to find an issue with 6 silver remotes.  I sent a few people the extra white ones to use with Tortuga pre-s in DIY applications with no issues there either..  There is always one flake in the bunch....