"Earplug"-style cans for portable use- $100 price point

dB Cooper

Looking for a set of in the ear (earplug style) 'phones for use with an iPod. Have about 4 in my list, all at a $99 MSRP price point. They are:
  • V-Moda Vibe
  • Shure E2
  • Bose TriPort
  • Sennheiser CX-300

These are likely to see commuting duty and thus need to be (passively) isolating and compact.
Must say that while I have never been a Bose fan, they sell them where I work, and I can't remember seeing any come back. Anybody have any comments on the relative strengths or weaknesses of these models, and are there any other good ones at the same (</= $100) price limit that I've overlooked? Thanks!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: "Earplug"-style cans for portable use- $100 price point
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2007, 04:45 am »
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio Earphones I use these at work very god sound

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Studio-Earphones-Black/dp

i used the cx-300 the super.fi is way above them

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2007, 05:16 am »
I've got the Shure E-2's

They're fantastic sounding and have superb isolation.  I really like them a lot, however there are two issues:

- The isolation is so extreme, that the plastic pushes against your ear canals quite firmly.  I've tried the different size plugs but they do make your ears a bit raw if you listen to them for a long time.  You do get used to it.  I wish the plastic was softer, more like silicone or something

- The cable on one side has shorted out requiring me to re-wire them.  It comes from pulling them out of my ears repeatedly.   I used to wear them at work and whenever anyone came by talk, i'd rip out the right ear pretty quick.  That tight seal plus the constant yanking frazzled the connection.

These issues may be more to do with the in-ear aspect than with any problem by Shure.  They use very heavy wires in comparison and are built VERY well.

And yes, the sound quality is fantastic, i really enjoy them.  Great for flights!

Sony actually makes a decent in-ear one too.  It's cheaper, around $45.  I wouldn't have believed it if someone didn't recommend them to me.  They are a bit bass heavy, but for the price they're a winner.   The Shure's are better though and more substantial.

/A

BRN

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2007, 09:02 am »
I use the CrossRoads MylarOne X3 with my VibeZ and have been very pleased with the sound and at $57 including shipping you can't go wrong.

You can read more at the <a href="http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241541&highlight=crossroads" target="_blank">CrossRoads MylarOne X3, XB, and Classic Owners Club[/url]

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2007, 03:00 pm »
I've got Etymotic ER-6's, Westone UM-1's and now I have some Shure SE310's on the way. 

I'd say the UM1's have beter sound and comfort overall from the ER-6's and they can be had for $100 right now with the 10% sale Earphone Solutions is running: http://www.earphonesolutions.com/  I bought my UM1's from them and they're good to deal with. 

Unfortunately, Etymotic decided to focus on larger, mainstream retailers, so they aren't carried by the nice small shops like Headroom ( http://www.headphone.com ) and Earphone Solutions anymore. 

The Ultimate Ears and Shure's also have good reputations, so I think there are several good options and a couple of good retailers. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2007, 04:57 pm »
I see the Ultimate Ears 3's listed on Amazon for $69.99. They nosedive above 10K according to the company's own specs but that may be meaningless given my age and the intended use and source material. (Plus how many mfr's publish any kind of specs...) Thanks. The similar Shure E3s are almost twice as much. With Shure and Bose I'd be paying a lot for the name.

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2007, 07:50 pm »
I know it’s a lot more than you wanted to spend but if you can save a bit more money get the Etymotic ER-4S it blows away anything else I’ve tried.

Do not use the plastic triple flange rubbish that come with it use the foam tips that comes with it. The triple flange are not comfortable and the isolation is not that good. The foams work just like ear plugs, you roll them up and insert them they then expand to fill the ear carnal. Very comfortable and great isolation. If you get a pair like this you may never have to change your phones again.

www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

Chris

Philistine

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2007, 08:38 pm »
I'm on my second pair of Etymotic ER4P's - and love them.
I read recently that the Altec Lansing branded Earplugs are made/designed by Ety:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-inMotion-iM716-Headphones/dp/B000BKE8QQ/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1199134030&sr=8-33

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2007, 08:49 pm »
I own a set of those and find them quite nice although they do isolate you to the extent they block out everything so i find them to be dangerous if your around moving objects

I'm on my second pair of Etymotic ER4P's - and love them.
I read recently that the Altec Lansing branded Earplugs are made/designed by Ety:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-inMotion-iM716-Headphones/dp/B000BKE8QQ/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1199134030&sr=8-33

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2008, 01:08 pm »
ecramer yes the isolation is amazing hence I look around more when I have them in, as I can’t hear much around me.

I had some custom moulds made for me (cost £80) but I find I still prefer the foam tips. The foam tips give better isolation although the customs moulds are that bit more comfortable to wear for extended period.

I use the ER-4S as I like music to sound natural like it was recorded, don’t need the extra bass boost you get from the ER-4P. I use it with my Sony Walkman Pro or the Walkman DC2.