Your First "Headphone Moment"

Douger

Re: Your First "Headphone Moment"
« Reply #40 on: 21 Feb 2012, 02:54 am »
HOly hell that's awesome!!!  :lol:

Would you say the RS1s are a big enough jump in performance from the 325s that I could take both steps, or is the difference negligible and I'd be better off jumping right to the RS1 or maybe the PS500? It's not as much a money thing as it is the fact that Im really enjoying this journey and I'm sort of attracted to the idea of taking steps upward instead of leaps.

I've definitely had the HE-500s on my radar for a while now...Im dying to hear a planar headphone!

DAMMIT I love this hobby :D

Right now I am waiting to see how the RS1s break in. The bass is awesome as is the musicality, but the upper midrange and treble of the 325s are very impressive, not harsh or bright, but just shimmering with every detail 'there'. The highs on the RS1s are very good but recessed. I am hoping that they catch up, and then I will be very happy  with them.

The HE500s are actually enough for me, but quite heavier so I have to limit my use.  I'll post how the RS1s do but it might take a while.

Douger

« Reply #41 on: 1 Mar 2012, 04:42 am »
I have been listening to the RS1's heavily and feel safe to judge... The 325's are wonderful and close, after break-in! By comparison, the RS1's are noticeably les s congested and fuller, deeper and richer. I'm not talking about any hifi artifacts at all. I use my HE5 tube amp
and it is simply natural and musical. When I use my AVA Super PAS 3i preamp it is also very good, without as much depth but very close.

I would not give up my 325's after all we've been through, but the RS1's are worth the extra money to me.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #42 on: 1 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm »
My first set of headphones was in 1972....bought a pair of big blue Stanton closed phones.  Looked great...sound...mehh!  10 years later I bought a pair of AKG 240's, but didn't use them much.   About 4 months ago...I dug them back out.  Oh my!   Since then I've bought several pair of phones...Fischer Audio FA-011, Sennheisser hd650, Sennheiser HD598 and several headphone amps., both tube and solid state.

Now that I'm older, I have some HF loss and tinnitus.  I found that with good headphones at moderate volume, I heard so much more detail than with my home system(s). (and I've had some pretty high quality stuff over the years)   I don't get the same depth and soundstage, but there's enough to satisfy.  I listen to headphones now at least 75% of my listening.
Hibuck...