Gravity

JohnR

Gravity
« on: 26 Feb 2014, 12:52 pm »
i was wondering if I was a fan of sci-fi movies with single-word titles. I don't wonder that any more.

No spoilers here, really, at least I don't think so. A couple of minutes in, the Glib-o-meter pegged it, and stayed there. A few minutes later, the Plausibil-o-meter dropped to zero and threatened to stay there as well.

There's plenty of time left to go.

mcgsxr

Re: Gravity
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:25 pm »
Agreed.

If you're shopping for a single word titled Sci Fi flick, I would highly recommend Oblivion over Gravity!

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:39 pm »
Arghh...

I doubt I got 1/3 of the way through it. Had enough.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:57 pm »
I kinda liked it, not the best by far and fairly predictable, but the 3D effects at the theater added to not falling asleep in the recliner chairs we now have installed in the best movie houses.  The newest lady I've been dating wants to rent it at home, I'll have to see if it's bearable without 3D.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2014, 02:09 pm »
It was just when Clooney knocked on the hatch and opened it from the outside and jumped in. Sandra stopped herself from being sucked out into deep space by... putting her hand in front of her face. It was too much for me.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2014, 05:13 pm »
It was just when Clooney knocked on the hatch and opened it from the outside and jumped in. Sandra stopped herself from being sucked out into deep space by... putting her hand in front of her face. It was too much for me.

:lol: A perfect illustration as to why I rarely go see movies anymore.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2014, 06:54 pm »
I'm glad I'm not alone, I got to like chapter 3 and thought to myself "why did people rave about this movie?" :thumbdown:

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2014, 07:15 pm »
Arghh...

I doubt I got 1/3 of the way through it. Had enough.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2014, 07:50 pm »

My wife and I saw it in a small theater on a slow night ... not a lot of attendees. And even though my wife doesn't care for scary movies, or high drama movies that make you tense, we both liked Gravity quite a lot and I'd highly recommend it. (My wife is a big Clooney fan so that might explain some of her appreciation.) The acting and direction is top notch, the action is fast paced and the special effects are terrific. But it is very scary and tension causing. A woman seated alone in the row in front of us was literarily jacked out of her chair, with her arms raised above her head, her hands repeatedly clenching and then unclenching invisible straps. During the most suspenseful scene she was noticeably shaking and making little involuntary chirping sounds. Happily there was no heart incident for her though I sure thought it was coming.

And warning ... spoiler alert ... that scene with Clooney rentering the hatch from the outside, that was an hallucination by the oxygen deprived Bullock character. You weren't supposed to believe that was actually happening as part of the movie narrative. Clooney was already dead by then. 

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2014, 08:31 pm »
My wife and I enjoyed the film. The 3D experience was fun, and the production was well executed. Still, not a great movie, but a good excuse to eat pocorn and engage in some escapism.
For my part, I didn't think any of the movies I saw this year were "great". I did enjoy Blue Jasmine, due to Cate Blanchett's embodiment of a woman unravelling. Not a great movie overall, but an unsettlingly edgy performance. I think she is the "great actress" of our time.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2014, 08:46 pm »
I watched it at the local Imax theater. Effects were great as well as the sound. The story is uninvolving and too predictable.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:35 am »
I loved it!  I half expected an alien to burst out of the mud by her feet at the end! :thumb:  Guess I'm in the minority here (but the majority of Oscar nominating committee) in thinking it was a pretty good film.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:51 am »
I'm going to check out Gravity this weekend, but my suggestion for the one-word sci-fi flick is "Moon"  :thumb:

jea48

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2014, 03:39 pm »
 Watched it last night at home in 3D. 3D is very good. Movie so so.... Did I mention the 3D is very good?

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014, 04:45 pm by jea48 »

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2014, 06:27 pm »
3D gives me a headache.  It's a gimmick that I expect will die within a few more years.

Gzerro

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2014, 06:45 pm »
3D gives me a headache.  It's a gimmick that I expect will die within a few more years.

+1 on the headache. I watched Gravity at a friends house with an active 3D TV which doesn't give me a headache like theater 3D.

The visuals of Gravity were pretty amazing in my opinion. The story not so much. I was pretty bored by the end.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:06 pm »
I rarely go to the cinema. I reserve the time and expense only for those movies that, I feel, benefit from the "wide screen" experience. "Gravity" is such a film. The 3-D Imax experience for "Gravity" is integral to the visceral sensory "suspension of disbelief". I went in knowing it was not a documentary. There were technical errors that were evident as I was watching, but those did not interfere with my enjoyment of the film. The simplicity of the plot did not bother me either. There were so many aspects that were excellent that, on the whole, it is better than 90% of the dreck that's out there. I saw it twice.

smargo

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:23 pm »
There were so many aspects that were excellent that, on the whole, it is better than 90% of the dreck that's out there. I saw it twice.

totally agree - i didnt see it in 3d though - only 2d - if you take this movie on its own terms - its wonderful

movie making can be very magical - it can be like seeing a really good magician - one and the same - music components can be like that too

i really liked it - its so outside the box

LFE

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:42 pm »
I saw the movie in Dolby Atmos and in a standard 7.1 auditorium. The difference was night and day. The movie in the Atmos room was awesome, it made it a totally different experience.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:42 pm »
...on the whole, it is better than 90% of the dreck that's out there.

That's not much of an endorsement based on JohnR's spoiler.  :lol: