Anyone up for a new thread material experiment?

SteevA

Re: Anyone up for a new thread material experiment?
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jul 2014, 11:06 pm »
I've owned my Versalex for over 2 years now and haven't broke a single belt. Not sure why some of you have had problems in this regard....
Same here.

watercourse

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jul 2014, 11:18 pm »
Same here.

This has been covered before by many users in many posts. I asked Mike Pranka about this issue, as of course, if there is a way to avoid it happening - i.e. user error - I could pass on this knowledge from Mike to forum members.

The gist of it is that each belt is variable in quality, because they are handmade. Belts have inconsistent durability because of the variability in quality. Simple as that.

The only other suggestion Mike gave was to shut off the motor each time you change an LP, but that he also didn't think this makes a diff.

And, it makes sense why WTL would offer a "belt for life" policy if they identified that belt variability was an issue, right?

gagamut

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jul 2014, 12:54 am »
I've owned my Versalex for over 2 years now and haven't broke a single belt. Not sure why some of you have had problems in this regard....

i've owned my Amadeus GT more than three years,after three years the belts lost tension,so this is my second belt :D

Erocka2000

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:26 am »
Even if your belt hasn't broken, you should still replace it every few months, as the polyester will definitely lose tension. I switched to using 100% nylon belts as of late,because the tension holds up better over time.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:55 am »
Even if your belt hasn't broken, you should still replace it every few months, as the polyester will definitely lose tension. I switched to using 100% nylon belts as of late,because the tension holds up better over time.
Good point. At around the 12 and 24 month points my belt developed a creaking sound on start up. I carefully looped another knot at the joint point which slightly reduced the belt circumference negating the stretch. Check speed with strobe disk, still spot on, problem solved. Steve and I must just have dropped lucky with our belts Watercourse.

watercourse

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:45 pm »
Good point. At around the 12 and 24 month points my belt developed a creaking sound on start up. I carefully looped another knot at the joint point which slightly reduced the belt circumference negating the stretch. Check speed with strobe disk, still spot on, problem solved. Steve and I must just have dropped lucky with our belts Watercourse.

Interesting - haven't had belts long enough to stretch, or at least to notice that they've stretched. Will look out for this, thanks for the info.

May be a good enough reason to try out another belt material. They are easy enough to make and test.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #46 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:59 pm »
I've got a new spare friend. I've tried it but hear no audible improvement over my original one. The tell tale sign that the belt has stretched is of course the creaking sound at start up which is of course the belt slipping on the platter...

Erocka2000

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:54 pm »
Even if you don't think your belt has lost tension over a year, I really think it has.  Best way to tell is to build a jig, as described in the Well Tempered manual and loop your belt around the two pins.  If it is really loose around the pins, you've lost tension.  It should be fairly snug around both pins, as it is when you first tie a new belt.  There's just no way that a polyester thread of that very minuscule thickness will keep it's tension for that long. 

sebrof

« Reply #48 on: 7 Dec 2014, 03:25 pm »
Well, I broke my first belt changing from 33 to 45 rpm. I got a replacement from my dealer when I bought the table, but it's got a knot in it so I'm dead in the water until at least Wednesday when I can get back to the dealer. I also sent a PM via this forum to Mike Pranka.

I'm not clear after reading this thread - Is there a good source for replacement thread. Is this something that is sold at home improvement or craft stores, etc.?

TIA

/mp

« Reply #49 on: 7 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm »
What is the finest size fishing line?

sebrof

« Reply #50 on: 8 Dec 2014, 01:57 am »
What is the finest size fishing line?
I don't know, but I can't imagine .004" line being useful for much more than catching guppies, so I assumed that fishing line wasn't going to be a solution.

I did go to a hobby store, and in the section for making jewelry there is .006" thread, "Thermally Bonded Bead Weaving Thread" branded Beadalon Wildfire. Not sure what it is exactly, but it seems to be working until I get the real thing.

I found this online - Does anyone know if this is the correct thread?
http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=monofilament-thread&gclid=CjwKEAiAkpCkBRCtstKQo5ia5nESJACsCikRm37jbexNHZGwQvwVSs2ZKTNRWwWMrsTKCI2bI_dJtxoCmGHw_wcB#product-selected

btw: I have a 2-record album where the side D is grooved but no music. I use it to test stuff like this. With my previous table there was always a not so faint swishing sound with the needle in the groove and the platter spinning. With the Amadeus I hear almost nothing except the knot as it passes through the motor...thip, thip, thip about 33 times per minute.  I'm interested to see if I hear it with the proper thread installed.

/mp

« Reply #51 on: 8 Dec 2014, 04:24 am »
Curiosity provoked, a quick non-exhaustive poke around the internet turned up a reference to Sufix HercuLine  Dyneema (8lbs.) has a diameter of 0.001".
http://www.mels-place.com/Contents/ABCs_and_Goodies/Line_Diameters/line_diameters.htm

watercourse

« Reply #52 on: 8 Dec 2014, 05:21 am »
I think this meets the criteria, though I haven't used it personally:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003W0VSA6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418011938&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

This also does (see the description for the diameter), BUT I am using a belt I made today from this spool, and it sounds a bit more edgy/brittle than the original belt. The texture of the thread itself is not as smooth and shiny (reduced sheen is accurate). It also seems a bit thinner than the stock belt, which you could see easier - this one is just about invisible at about a foot away.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J44BI5Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1418011938&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

sebrof

« Reply #53 on: 9 Dec 2014, 12:35 am »
So a quick update to my thread saga.

I eMailed WTL, and Mike Pranka responded within a few hours with a picture of a spool of Coats and Clark brand polyester thread and said that most fabric stores should carry it. I went to my local Hobby Lobby and found the exact same product he suggested for $2.89 for a 400 yard (365 meter) spool. That's a lotta thread. I calculated that if I broke a belt every 3 weeks it would last 17.7 years.  :D

Tied a belt up and put it on, table is spinning nice and quiet at exactly 33 1/3. Bravo.

This pic should be a sticky.

« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2014, 03:39 am by sebrof »

threadkiller

« Reply #54 on: 9 Dec 2014, 01:31 am »
My 1/2 cent... I'd stick with that... We've tried so many, and this still sounds the best....
It also comes in black... which looks nice...maybe harder to see....

sebrof

« Reply #55 on: 9 Dec 2014, 02:06 am »
My 1/2 cent... I'd stick with that... We've tried so many, and this still sounds the best....
It also comes in black... which looks nice...maybe harder to see....

Yes, I have 400 yards of that stuff and I have no intention of continuing to look further.
And I did get it in black thinking it would be easier to see. It's still invisible when you're trying to tie a belt.

watercourse

« Reply #56 on: 9 Dec 2014, 03:26 am »
Thank you Erocka and sebrof, for the two key pieces of info. The belt indeed lost tension after less than a year, and now I know which replacement thread to get!

mathneogeo

« Reply #57 on: 27 Apr 2017, 02:21 pm »
For the European Well Tempered users who want to replace the belt this is the Coats & Clark equivalent: Gütermann Transparent Thread.

I replaced the belt I've been using for over a year and a half. Out of curiosity I placed the old belt on the jig an it had indeed streched.