Paul Hynes SR5-21

Hear Clifford Brown

Paul Hynes SR5-21
« on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:17 am »
Paul I've read about these on The Art of Sound forum.  I'd like to find out how much one would cost for my technics table.

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Re: Paul Hynes SR5-21
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:46 am »
Hello HCB,

The SR5-21 costs £525 and the high performance DC lead 1 metre long terminated for fitting the SL1200 internally costs £45. I can quote for insured air carriage and packing if you let me know the destination country.

Regards
Paul

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2011, 07:36 pm »
Thanks Paul I received your response to my direct email so I have the total cost to USA including shipping.  Now I'm reading on AoS about the SR7 and I will contact you in a private email regarding that power supply.

jostber

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012, 08:44 pm »
Do you have an overview of the different PSU's available from the SR3 to the SR7 models?

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2012, 09:46 pm »
The SR3, SR5 and SR7 all use the same basic regulator topology, which is a proprietary design fabricated from discrete components. The error amplifier wideband noise spec is 0.5 nanovolts root Hz with a noise corner of 1 Hz. Gain bandwidth product >100 MHz.

The 21 suffix relates to the output voltage although all three Technics SL1200/SL1210 supplies can be adjusted up to 27 volts to allow use as a pre-regulated power supply driving the TDR21 internal regulator upgrade providing a double layer of mains interference suppression. The current ratings are all based on 21 or 27 volts output setting.

The SR3 uses the best UK “off the shelf” mains transformer I have found and is rated at 60 VA. The SR3-21 has a continuous current rating of 1.2 amps but can deliver a short duration transient exceeding 20 amps.

The SR5 uses a 160 VA custom-built mains transformer built to my specification with a regulator module that is the equivalent to the SR3 regulator with higher power rectifiers and output stage to allow a continuous current rating of 3 amps, >40 amps transient. This is a special application psu for the SL1200 that does not have the large external heatsink used with the SR7 power supplies as the SL1200 does not draw a lot of current.

The SR7EHD uses a 240 VA custom-built mains transformer built to my specification with a regulator module that is further ruggedised with higher power rectifiers and output stage than the SR5as well as additional energy storage to a higher transient current delivery allowing a continuous current rating of 5amps, >80 amps transient.

The sound quality just gets better with progression up the range. The easiest analogy for most to understand is to go from a family saloon to a VW Golf GTI (or Mustang if you are in the USA) to a Bugati Veyron. They will all get you where you are going but do it in very different ways. No prizes for guessing which one I would choose. 

Regarding the sonic performance of the power supplies, there are a number of reports about these power supplies in a variety of applications on the internet.

Regards
Paul

jostber

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:33 am »
That's a great overview, thanks!

jostber

« Reply #6 on: 29 Feb 2012, 03:31 pm »
Seems like the information on the web site is a bit outdated. Maybe this information could replace what is there now?

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 29 Feb 2012, 05:50 pm »
That would be nice but I am far too busy at present building power supplies and regulator modules to rewrite the website.