USB cables: basics vs. boutique?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
USB cables: basics vs. boutique?
« on: 9 Apr 2015, 08:37 pm »
I’m in the market for the first time for an USB cable (have old gear, so everything has been optical).  But now I have a MacBook Air (with only Thunderbolt and USB digital connections) and will keep it on my lap, about 8 feet in a straight line from my fancy (not) rack.  So to go along with a nice new DAC, I’m looking for a 12 – 15 foot long USB cable ($350 limit).

I know that many accusations of “snake oil” surround this topic, but I’d like to keep an open mind, that our current scientific understanding may not be able to explain what we hear.  Hopefully you vote if you’re of the snake oil camp, but please leave it at that.  I’m a licensed engineer, so will promise not to respect you any less.

Based on my limited research, everyone seems to agree (roughly in order of importance) that cables should:

•   Transfer, not transform the 0’s and 1’s
•   Meet CAT 5E specifications (most don’t)
•   Be made of quality materials with craftsmanship and be durable
•   Maintain good connectivity (silver/silver plated)
•   Exhibit constant impedance across the entire cable length (including connectors)
•   Use heavier gauges for longer runs
•   Have some sort of shielding (highly over emphasized)

As it’s been over a year since this topic has been breached any specific cable recommendations are welcomed, just check first to ensure it’s available in 10 – 15 foot lengths.  Please indicate if:

1.)  USB cables are total snake oil;
2.)  USB cables should follow at least some electrical parameters; or
3.)  I’ve heard differences between USB cables under at least somewhat controlled conditions.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: USB cables: basics vs. boutique?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:36 pm »
DH Labs USB or Belkin Gold if you want to save some dough.

What dac are you using? 

rpf

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:40 pm »
I've heard dramatic differences among USB cables. I second DH Labs for a budget choice.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:41 pm »
I've heard dramatic differences among USB cables. I second DH Labs for a budget choice.

There are two types now.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2015, 09:50 pm »
USB cables definitely make a difference, but IME usually not as much as an analog cable. It also depends on the equipment, DACS may use different transfer protocols...  I think it's worth getting a cable that has the signal and power legs in separate shields... the DH Labs is a good cable, Furutech just came out with a GT2 Pro, which they claim is an upgrade over the regular GT2. I've compared the GT2 to the DH Labs and they are very similar. I also tried the much more expensive Light Harmonic cable and it was better but not a massive difference and probably not worth the $1k price, at least in my system. It would be hard to go wrong with either the Furutech GT2 Pro or the DH Labs USB cable. Both are quite a bit better than a stock USB cable in terms of less harshness and a more relaxed sound with better detail and definition.

Occam

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2015, 10:28 pm »
Although more expensive than the OP's price limits, the DH Labs Mirage USB cable is IMO, really very, very good. Subjectively, I don't know if I could distinguish it from the WireWorld top of the line Platinum Starlight USB cable. Definitely closer to the warm voicing of WW than to the far more analytical sound of the Audioquest Diamond. I use a 5 meter DH Labs Mirage to feed my EAR Acute III from a Mac Air.
Obviously, its all system dependent, YMMV,...

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2015, 10:38 pm »
I've been through a few since I set up my server a couple of years ago. I'm always amazed at how different they sound.
I have 2 systems with servers and have used 3 DACs in them over this period: a tweaked out Eastern Electric minimax Plus, NAD M51, and Yulong DA-8. All are asynchronous USB, and I've used them all with and without Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 USB-SPDIF converters.
Here's the sequence that I can recall: OEM cheapie->AQ Carbon->AQ Coffee->Mapleshade Excaliber Plus (I think)->Black Cat Silverstar->Wireworld Platinum->Revelation Audio Labs Reference Dual Conduit.
When I first set up my server I was disappointed in the sound, and was concerned that it was a backward step from spinning discs. Each of these was better sounding than the previous. The biggest improvements were going from the OEM to the Carbon and the Carbon to the Coffee. Going to the Coffee improved things enough that the sound quality finally exceeded my very good CDP of the time, a Modwright/Sony 9100, which I jettisoned at that point. Overall, each step up improved focus and removed grunge, sort of like gradually improving the resolution of digital pictures and then going to film. Needless to say, I have a high-rez system. The differences would be less marked in a system that is less resolving.
The best value by far was the Black Cat, at $99 per 3/4 meter plus ~$70 per meter extra. It was really pretty close to the Wireworld Platinum at 1/5 the cost and notably better than its predecessors. It is the cheapest of all the name brands on the list, but is very nice sounding- clean and clear, and very flexible.
I was quite happy with the Wireworld, but I wanted to try out a split cable and going to the RAL provided a darker background and cost less too. Paying hundreds more seems to be a lesson in diminishing returns, of course, with the Black Cat being the real object lesson.
That's where I would start. Contact Chris Sommovigo at Black Cat for custom lengths. I bet he'd do it. 
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/blackcat2/1.html
I'm still using a pair of Black Cat Morpheus ICs in one of my systems, and they are also a great bargain. I've also used his Silverstar 75 Coax digital and it is yet another fine performer at a great price.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2015, 02:04 pm by jonbee »

rpf

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm »
There are two types now.

Yes, the new one is the more expensive model. The original fits within the OP's budget.

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2015, 12:12 am »
I recently had a Auralic Vega dac in my system for a week and I used several USB cables including a Wireworld Starlight and a XLO Ultra Plus. The long and the short of it is that to a large degree the USB cables determined what I perceived the DAC to sound like. In the context of my system they made at least as big a difference as ICs and speaker cables. The USB cables controlled the extension, tightness and the weight of bass response the system had. They also determined how the system imaged and recreated the acoustic space where the performance occurred in, whether real or a studio contrivance. The high frequency extension and resolution is also under the thumb of the USB cable.
 In retrospect I can't think any aspect of the AURALIC VEGAs performance that was not heavily impacted by the USB cable I used. In my opinion, this is a very useful aid to tuning the performance of the entire system to suit ones taste. The downside is that you can completely cripple the performance of the multi-thousand dac dollar you just purchased by using an inferior USB cable. I have a seven dollar USB cable that dumbed the system down to the point that every thing was recessed and sort of pleasant sounding but it also sounded like I had somehow turned down the tweeter about 8dB and all of the excitement and dynamic life in the music was missing in action.
It would be worth your time to try a lot of USB cables and find the one that best suits your system bearing in mind that it has the potential to set the ceiling on the performance your system may be capable of.
It should be noted that VEGA's Exact clock mode was in use at all times Apparently even the poorest sounding USB cable conformed closely enough to the USB cable standards that the dac could function with it place but in a very compromised manner.
Scotty

groovybassist

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2015, 12:15 am »
I think USB cables can make a difference, but don't think it's worth spending huge money on. I was using a Wireworld 6, but found the upper mids a bit harsh and treble a bit hashy. I switched to the Cardas Clear USB and it solved those problems and generally sounds very balanced and clean. The construction and finishing is top notch as well. Should be in your budget for the length you need. Good luck sorting this out.

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2015, 12:56 am »
Wow, didn't realize it was this involved (half of various forum posts I found said it was all snake oil).   :scratch:

DAC, not selected yet but leaning towards Grace m920, NuPrime DAC-10H, or Hegel HD12 (even intrigued with the upcoming NuPrime DAC8) hence what I think of as a reasonable budget.

Yes, two DH Lab cables, but the Mirage cost exceeds my budget.

Yes, looking at DH Lab Silver Sonic and Furutech GT-2 (at twice the price).

Light Harmonic & AQ Diamond are definitely beyond the budget (I'm an old fart, used rip cord for speaker cable for most of my audio life).

Thanks jonbee for the reminder of the Black Cat Silverstar.   :thumb:

Scotty, that's hard advice to absorb from a guy who's using a $6, 35 foot long monoprice optical cable.   :oops:

Cardas Clear is also on my radar screen.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2015, 07:42 pm by JLM »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2015, 02:06 am »
JLM, is that Sony HAP-Z1ES seeming like a better idea at this point?  :lol:

Ern Dog

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2015, 01:26 am »
Great thread.  I haven't been in the market to purchase a USB cable since I bought my AQ Carbon 9 months ago.  It was a whole universe better than the $15 Belkin Gold USB cable I had been using.  The Black cat USB cable seems like a no brainer to try out.  So I just purchased one today to give it a run.

vonnie123

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2015, 06:36 am »
A very good low cost cable is the Schiit USB cable.  One meter length is around $25.  Made for them by Straight Wire which sells it for $42. 

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2015, 10:59 am »
Stop it Dave, I'm confused enough already.   :?   :)

Ern/jonbee, unfortunately Chris Sommovigo (owner of Black Cat) is currently relocating to Japan and is "out of commission" reportedly until June and longer runs are not readily available.

vonnie, what's not to like about the guys at Schist?  But again please check to make sure your recommendations are available in 12 - 15 foot lengths.

vonnie123

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2015, 04:42 pm »
schiit variant is one meter.  same cable made by Straightwire available in up to 4.5 meter lengths (14 feet, 9 11/64 inches) per Straightwire website search.  cable company.com stocks up to 3 meter lengths @ $74.

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2015, 07:13 pm »
Thanks for the heads up vonnie123.  I'd run across them months ago, but lost track of them.  Even the upgrade USBF-link cable looks to be within budget.  Thanks again, added to my list.

vonnie123

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2015, 07:25 pm »
Thanks for the heads up vonnie123.  I'd run across them months ago, but lost track of them.  Even the upgrade USBF-link cable looks to be within budget.  Thanks again, added to my list.

I'm using the schiit version (one meter) between my JRiver Id and Wyred4Sound DAC-2 with femto clock.  Very good cable.  Was considering upgrading, but the more I listen to it, the more I question whether I need to move up or not.

good luck with your decision.  vonnie

ksbruce

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2015, 10:01 pm »
Agree on the Schiit usb cable!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2015, 10:07 pm »
While not in your desired length.  Take a look at TotalDac USB cables.  First cable to have a dramatic effect upon installation.  It is not coming out!  A little more dough than your budget.