Feet for my X-Statik

petemoss

Feet for my X-Statik
« on: 17 Jun 2018, 02:13 am »
OK.. I am moving temporarily into a condo with laminate flooring... Fake flooring over concrete slab... With a thin foam sheet between the laminate and concrete.  Should I use spikes on the metal disks... Justtake the spikes out and put the bases on the laminate.. Or use rubber isolation feet?

Also any idea on what to do with my matching center if the TV has to go over the fire place.. So frustrated about that.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Feet for my X-Statik
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2018, 02:52 pm »
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISO200--isoacoustics-iso-200-isolation-stands-for-studio-monitors-pair

I use these which may look a little funny but actually work really well with the X-Statiks.  Overall focus as well as bass improved. 

Living Room system , on Flickr

I would never mount a tv over a fireplace.  That's unnaturally high in my opinion.  I know people who do that and it just makes me shake my head.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2018, 04:12 pm by corndog71 »

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2018, 07:32 pm »
I have my tv sitting on the hearth in front of my fireplace ... it is my fireplace screen! Living in the desert we don't ever have a fire in our fireplace, but one Christmas day morning, we streamed a fire video clip complete with crackling audio, for ambiance while eating brunch after opening presents.

I would never mount a tv over a fireplace.  That's unnaturally high in my opinion.  I know people who do that and it just makes me shake my head.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2018, 07:50 pm »
I'd love to be able to mount my TV over the fireplace.  If you're concerned about the height, they sell movable mounts that let you pull the screen down (of course, you have to be concerned about heat). 

Most fireplaces (and their surrounds) are way too big.  Our surrounds are huge.  They're made as statement pieces.  I'd rather have a smaller surround and a TV over it.

Personally, I think fireplaces are just energy-sucking holes in your building's exterior, but everyone seems to want one.  Watch home shows where the people specifically look for fireplaces...in Texas.  Uh, you're in freaking Texas!  You'll use that fireplace on that one "cold" night in January. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2018, 10:41 pm »
Well, some of Texas get some pretty extreme weather.  More years than not, we will reach lows from 0-4*F.   And weeks where the highs never reach above the mid twenties are also common.  I agree that fireplaces are energy sucking holes, but my wood stove gets used probably 40-50 days a year, and warms most of the house.  Of course on those really cold night, four nice 6L6GC's and assorted 6922's are needed to to amplify the warm in the house.  :thumb:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2018, 11:08 pm »
Consider yourself lucky......I live in Northern Canada....I dont use my fireplace as much as I want, its located in the
same room as the thermostat.....the rest of the house gets cold from the furnace not going.....

On another note.....todays its over 85F.....way too hot.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2018, 11:36 pm »
Consider yourself lucky......I live in Northern Canada....I dont use my fireplace as much as I want, its located in the
same room as the thermostat.....the rest of the house gets cold from the furnace not going.....

On another note.....todays its over 85F.....way too hot.
I thought you were in the Edmonton area.  Now back in1982 I spent 3 weeks in a canoe on Great Bear Lake. We had to wait for the icebergs to clear.  No place for canoes among chucks of ice as big as a house.  There is a lot of Canada way north of your locale. 
And I do consider myself lucky.  On an extreme day in Abilene(112* or 2*) you can still venture out briefly.  In your part of the world, I'd simply huddle near the tube amps and listen to jazz.  When it gets below 10* and the wind is blowing, it's too cold for a Texas boy to do any more than bring in a load of wood.

Anyway, I've used spikes with my X Statics and been happy with the results. 

petemoss

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2018, 12:49 am »
Yes...i am not a fan of TV over the fireplace and if i have to do it i will get one of the pull down mounts.  The real shame is no place to use the X-Voce center....wife would not like it in front of the fire place.  I guess i could put is on wheels and roll it there.  Not happy.  Somehow i got conned out of my man cave on this move!

As far as the X-Statics....does anyone think i would notice the difference between spikes...rubber feet or flat on the floor?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2018, 02:07 am »
I have used Herbie's gliders with studs that thread into the inserts when putting speakers on floors that would be damaged by spikes.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm      The threaded stud gliders are a little over half way down the page. Just be sure to get the right thread size. If I remember correctly, the X-Statics use M8s. Be sure to confirm that though.

Mike