Changing the tone of a speaker

flavo

Changing the tone of a speaker
« on: 7 Nov 2019, 12:57 am »
Speaking to Danny on the phone last month about my nx-ottica build. He mentioned that he could make the speaker sound pretty much any way I wanted.
How does that work in general?
I ask because I think I'm going to get a pair of the Carnegie CST1's and wondering about upgrading them? Should I get them and let them play and see if they fit me perfectly? Or just order them with the upgrades?
If I wanted to change them in any way, should I wait to upgrade because the caps and whatever else comes into play?

And part two: I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of 2K or less (used or new) on a pair of box tower speakers. I could spend more but I'd really rather not this time. I'd like them on shorter side of tall . I'm trying to stay under 48"
No open baffle for this set.
I'd love something that is maybe just slightly on the warm and lush side of neutral but not boxy sounding.
I've got a stereo set of GR sealed subs for this endeavor as well so they don't need to be trying to over do the bass on their own.
Does the CST1 seem like a good direction to go? While I'm guessing it's not on the lush side, I'm  wondering if it can be altered if I really wanted to?
If I'm not in love with the tone, can I change that with Danny's help?

Thanks!
Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Changing the tone of a speaker
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:16 am »
Mike,

For the box speakers, take a look at the X-MTM Encore. If you upgrade the crossovers I think the sound would be exactly what you are looking for.

flavo

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:29 am »
I've only heard whispers of that elusive model. I thought it didn't exist.  It's not on the web site is it?
I'd rather not build this time if possible, but my arm could be twisted.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2019, 02:10 am »
The CST-1 is a good choice. I've built the similar AV-3, much the same but the CST-1 has a better tweeter,   I'd recommend them as neutral to warm in their basic approach.  The Neo tweeter will add more detail and air than the tweeter I had.   I'd recommend them. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2019, 02:17 am »
If I'm not in love with the tone, can I change that with Danny's help?
To actively changing the tone you should mod the xover,
there are a few ways to passively change the tone:
1) Change the color of the inner walls.
2) Change the colour of the cones.
3) ENABL with Planet10.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2019, 02:57 am »
I've only heard whispers of that elusive model. I thought it didn't exist.  It's not on the web site is it?
I'd rather not build this time if possible, but my arm could be twisted.

They exist. I’ve built two pair of them with upgraded crossovers.  They are two X-CS Encores with the cabinets extended and ported. They are in the thread about the X series speakers.

zeke

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2019, 04:20 am »
I have a pair of the CST1's and they sound great imo .. But you will need to add more insulation in the proper locations, and also solder the internal wire to the speaker connector tabs  -- the original connections are "push " on connectors, and a couple of them were not even tight ...

I also have a pair of the GR subs ...........

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:50 pm »
As designed that model is very balanced. They are smooth, have good body, pretty good bass response, really good detail levels, etc.

How to alter the balance or change aspects of their sound:

No Rez lining of the cabinets will tighten up the bass response and clean up the vocal region a bit.

Swapping the caps out to Sonicaps will up the level of detail, resolution, and space between notes (less smearing).

Now, altering the tweeter level in relationship to the woofers can shift the tonal balance. Reducing the cap values slightly will reduce output in the crossover region if brightness is an issue.

Changing the values of the resistors in the tweeter circuit can lift the overall level, reduce the overall level, or add or reduce the overall level more or less in the top end or bottom end of the tweeter range.

So yes, I can do just about anything with them.

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2019, 07:18 pm »
Danny description is spot on, I dont see how you could do any better investment wise. Those are really nice for the money, heard them at LSAF a few years back.  :thumb:

flavo

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2019, 03:43 pm »
Thank you so much everyone. I'll be moving forward on a pair of these I believe. I've seen the spec sheet on fixing the stuffing and I believe adding the no rez.
But in terms of upgrading the caps. Where is and how easily accessible is the cross over? Is this something I can easily do myself or better left to Danny maybe?

What are the chances I'll find a pair of CSB1s? Just a waitng game I suppose?

Any reason why I should be looking to change my X-voce center for a different center?

Nick77

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2019, 04:47 pm »
Just an fyi no need to upgrade the caps unless you're electronics are up to snuff. If you're just using a HT reciever don't bother.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2019, 02:08 pm »
Thank you so much everyone. I'll be moving forward on a pair of these I believe. I've seen the spec sheet on fixing the stuffing and I believe adding the no rez.
But in terms of upgrading the caps. Where is and how easily accessible is the cross over? Is this something I can easily do myself or better left to Danny maybe?

What are the chances I'll find a pair of CSB1s? Just a waitng game I suppose?

Any reason why I should be looking to change my X-voce center for a different center?

The crossover is not hard to access.

It is hard to find any CSB1's. Those things went fast.

Your X-Voce will still match nicely.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2019, 03:32 pm »
His post is about a year old so maybe N/A, but here's a guy that says he will sell a new pair cheap:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/wtb-carnegie-acoustic-csb-1-bookshelf-speakers.113139/

No association with seller, just FYI.

flavo

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2019, 04:12 pm »
Thank you everyone.  I found that post as well. I figured it was crazy to contact him but I suppose it cant hurt at all. Thank you for that.
I've got a pretty nice amp and pre set up. No guarantee I'd be able to hear the difference though.  But for the price I cant not do it :-)