Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

skite30

« Reply #300 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:06 pm »
I have several reasons to try out the def.s. According to Zu the 8 ohm tube taps work good with the Omen's but the same tap will work excellent with the def's. I have a large room and right now I am using some boundary reinforcement to get the bass I want. Zu says they sound better in a large room with more room around them instead of close to the walls. They also are letting me have them for the introductory price of 1799 with free shipping, and 60 days to make up my mind about them. Seemed like a no brainer to give them a try. I  probably would not have gone the 2800 for them but that is due to personal finances and not on whether or not they are worth the 2800.
I was really surprised by one speaker sounding louder than the other and thought I needed a new hobby but when it would alternate between the speakers I figured it wasn't me after all. Glad to hear someone else experienced the same thing though.

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
Four Zu Omen - Hafler Fun in the Middle
« Reply #301 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:44 pm »
I received my omen's last week after the 3 week break in period at Zu. Zu said it would take a couple of days to settle in. That is a gross understatement. When people say wait until they are burned in to judge them they are absolutely correct. In the past week they have been all over the place started out very lean but open. This turned into really boomy bass and the sound was very speaker bound. At times one or the other has been louder. I have never experienced anything like this from a speaker breaking in.
In the last 2 days they have settled into a very balanced, open and grain free speaker. At this point I am impressed enough that I am going to return them and get a pair of the Omen Definitions. They also seem to have become more efficient with break in.
I haven't had a pair of wide-range drivers in the house in quite awhile and it hasn't taken long to remember what attracted me to the genre in the first place. For a boxed speaker the Zu's have an almost open baffle sound.

If I was tempted to want "more"... a cheaper way, I think I would like to try a "Halfler 4 speaker front and rear arrangement"...

I do realize this is getting WAY outside of the scope of the CHEAP Circle as are the Omen Def's at $2800...but especially if I had a receiver with A & B outputs or both, again with the rear wired out of phase from the fronts for "push / pull" operation and listener position half way between the fron ant rear channel, ... voila MORE...Hafler surround sound!!

gsm18439

« Reply #302 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:57 pm »
Shipping speakers over a long distance in cold weather can contribute to the need for a more prolonged break-in time.

Mariusz

« Reply #303 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm »
I have several reasons to try out the def.s. According to Zu the 8 ohm tube taps work good with the Omen's but the same tap will work excellent with the def's. I have a large room and right now I am using some boundary reinforcement to get the bass I want. Zu says they sound better in a large room with more room around them instead of close to the walls. They also are letting me have them for the introductory price of 1799 with free shipping, and 60 days to make up my mind about them. Seemed like a no brainer to give them a try. I  probably would not have gone the 2800 for them but that is due to personal finances and not on whether or not they are worth the 2800.
I was really surprised by one speaker sounding louder than the other and thought I needed a new hobby but when it would alternate between the speakers I figured it wasn't me after all. Glad to hear someone else experienced the same thing though.

Got ya. 

My room is kind of smallish, so no real need for more gut rumbling bass. ;)

Cheers

Gopher

« Reply #304 on: 17 Dec 2010, 12:21 am »
Does anyone have a copy of that IsoTek disc they wouldn't mind loaning me?  I'd like to see for myself if it works before purchasing one--also not sure where to buy.

I am tired of crap needing burn in.  When I get home from a stressful day I just want to unwind and listen--not wait for things to reach their potential.

ecod123

« Reply #305 on: 17 Dec 2010, 12:45 am »
Does anyone have a copy of that IsoTek disc they wouldn't mind loaning me?  I'd like to see for myself if it works before purchasing one--also not sure where to buy.

I just ordered a new one off eBay for $35 shipped from "guitarplayer."

MusicDirect has it too.

And djbnh, thanks for the tip. The disc will definitely help me speedily burn in my Zu speakers (when they arrive).

JoMoCo

Re: Zu Omen - Omen or Def?
« Reply #306 on: 17 Dec 2010, 12:53 am »
One of the simple advantages with just one midrange driver is a potential for more coherence in the midrange.  Two drivers producing output in the midrange, unless carefully implemented, add only sound pressure and can take away from imaging and add a muddiness.  That may not be a priority to some and is dependant on the original SQ (sound quality) of the recording, near field or farfield listening position, blah, blah, blah...link below for the technically inclined on crossover / implementation discussion... :roll:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?p=1696638#post1696638

Might consider a "swarm config subwoofer plan" also before...movin' on up the line.. :?

http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/Audiokinesis/The-Swarm/speakers/247336.html

Gopher

« Reply #307 on: 17 Dec 2010, 03:34 pm »
Years ago I bought a pair of Cain and Cain Abbys over Zu Druids because although some of the reviews of the Zus spoke to me, they seemed like a VERY polarizing (love it or hate it) speaker.

I'm not seeing those polar thoughts on these new lines, but maybe some are keeping it to themselves:  is anyone NOT thrilled with their latest Zu purchases? 

I know my Souls make me smile daily...

Poultrygeist

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #308 on: 17 Dec 2010, 04:41 pm »
Still enjoying my Omens raised one inch higher in the front than in the rear. I have over 500 hours on them and it seems the sound keeps getting better.

Has anyone tried them with one of the lower powered SDS or CDA class D amps? I alternated between the 16 ohm and 8 ohm tap on a potent vintage tube amp and couldn't tell any difference. I'm not sure why the compatabilty chart states the Omens work best with a receiver or a tube amp with 16 ohm tap?

Of the amps I've tried I still prefer the MW.

rean1matore

« Reply #309 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:18 pm »
It seems to me that the non broken in sound of the Omens are far better than my old non-broken-in Druids ever were and i think alot of people who had negative things to say about the Druids really never gave them proper time to breakin.  I'm very excited about how the Omens will sound once fully broken in if they sound this good with only about 30 hours on them. 

Years ago I bought a pair of Cain and Cain Abbys over Zu Druids because although some of the reviews of the Zus spoke to me, they seemed like a VERY polarizing (love it or hate it) speaker.

I'm not seeing those polar thoughts on these new lines, but maybe some are keeping it to themselves:  is anyone NOT thrilled with their latest Zu purchases? 

I know my Souls make me smile daily...

rean1matore

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #310 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:24 pm »
I'm running my omens with a Tact Millenium MKII Class D amp and am very happy with how they work with the Omens which is expected as they worked amazingly well with my old Druids.

But then again the Tact has worked with every single Speaker I've run them with.  Amazing amp.

I've also recently placed my Omens on top of a pair of the Auralex Sub Isolation Platform.  I"ll reserve comments until the speakers are fully broken in and can get a better chance to do more xtensive a/b comparisions.  It's definitely tighted up the bass response of the cabinet.

Still enjoying my Omens raised one inch higher in the front than in the rear. I have over 500 hours on them and it seems the sound keeps getting better.

Has anyone tried them with one of the lower powered SDS or CDA class D amps? I alternated between the 16 ohm and 8 ohm tap on a potent vintage tube amp and couldn't tell any difference. I'm not sure why the compatabilty chart states the Omens work best with a receiver or a tube amp with 16 ohm tap?

Of the amps I've tried I still prefer the MW.

ncblue

« Reply #311 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:40 pm »
Please let us know about the Auralex. I bought one for my Zu Method, but it's too small. Now its just sitting in the corner. I may get another and use them side by side. I could try a couple under my Superflys, but I'm sure the big sub would benefit more. The Superfly/Method combo may be overkill as I barely have any volume on the sub, but it seems to further solidify the soundstage, kick drums etc...
I am really impressed with the Superflys and their DL-103 cartridge as well. It's really hard to stop listening!

djbnh

« Reply #312 on: 18 Dec 2010, 10:47 am »
I just ordered a new one off eBay for $35 shipped from "guitarplayer."

MusicDirect has it too.

And djbnh, thanks for the tip. The disc will definitely help me speedily burn in my Zu speakers (when they arrive).
NP, that's what these forums are about.

Re: "when they arrive" - I'm not expecting mine prior to the New Year, I accept that apparently Zu's small staff and the overwhelming consumer response to the Black Friday sale may mean shipments take longer to get out the door. Like booking a restaurant seating at the busiest time - ya gotta wait your turn.

JoMoCo

Re: Zu Omen - Break in
« Reply #313 on: 21 Dec 2010, 01:17 am »
Here is my status report on progress toward breaking in.  I figure I am about two thirds of the way to the big 400hr mark.  Well I finally got my lil 'mens  :lol: set up for really running in.  Face to face set to mono on the FM receiver one speaker wired out of phase downstairs in the shop.  Been running them about 12 plus hours a day at volume...pretty amazing how much cancellation happens in the upper freqs.  Bought some 3" carriage bolts to replace the factory studs to raise the cabinets up...love those rounded heads. The amount of air coming out of the teardrop vents is pretty amazing at high volume...more later... :roll:

rean1matore

« Reply #314 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:14 am »
at over 250 hours i would think that your speakers far more than ready to be just setup and listened to and enjoyed.

i only have 60 on mine and they already sound great.

Here is my status report on progress toward breaking in.  I figure I am about two thirds of the way to the big 400hr mark.  Well I finally got my lil 'mens  :lol: set up for really running in.  Face to face set to mono on the FM receiver one speaker wired out of phase downstairs in the shop.  Been running them about 12 plus hours a day at volume...pretty amazing how much cancellation happens in the upper freqs.  Bought some 3" carriage bolts to replace the factory studs to raise the cabinets up...love those rounded heads. The amount of air coming out of the teardrop vents is pretty amazing at high volume...more later... :roll:

djbnh

« Reply #315 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:20 am »
Re: "when they arrive" - I'm not expecting mine prior to the New Year, I accept that apparently Zu's small staff and the overwhelming consumer response to the Black Friday sale may mean shipments take longer to get out the door. Like booking a restaurant seating at the busiest time - ya gotta wait your turn.
Got my shipping notice from Zu yesterday and the spkrs are supposed to be here on 12/23 - that's pretty fast from UT to NH! Nice job, Zu!

JoMoCo

« Reply #316 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:49 am »
at over 250 hours i would think that your speakers far more than ready to be just setup and listened to and enjoyed.

i only have 60 on mine and they already sound great.

When I first got them I just listened to them and did enjoy them but the changes that I heard convinced me to pull them off regular listening and just do it properly for my particular application. If I was using my d class receiver instead of my lower power tubes long term, I could maybe be happy going the long listening route, but I do not normally listen at the same levels the "run in rig" is able to excercise them and hope that this will more quickly get them to their optimal zone...."all good things take time" :wink:

ecod123

« Reply #317 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:15 pm »
Got my shipping notice from Zu yesterday and the spkrs are supposed to be here on 12/23 - that's pretty fast from UT to NH! Nice job, Zu!

Congrats on that! Mine's coming too, albeit across shorter distance! We both will be happy campers this Christmas! Cheers!

BTW, how will you be using your Isotek disc to break in the speakers? It will be the first time I am extensive breaking in of speakers using a disc, so thought I ask someone with experience. Thanks.

djbnh

« Reply #318 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:37 am »
Congrats on that! Mine's coming too, albeit across shorter distance! We both will be happy campers this Christmas! Cheers!

BTW, how will you be using your Isotek disc to break in the speakers? It will be the first time I am extensive breaking in of speakers using a disc, so thought I ask someone with experience. Thanks.
Congrats back at you and Merry Christmas to you and yours, as well as all readers of this thread and AudioCircles. :xmas: FedEx called today to confirm a 12/23 delivery, and the Mrs. volunteered to be home to provide the required signatures.

I am blessed with an understanding wife and a home with some room. I'll be hooking the Omen Defs up in part of my basement to an older NAD2200PE amp and an NAD 1240 preamp, using an older Sony cd changer as the source and decent back up cables/ICs for connections. Track 2 (track 1 is for small speakers, track 2 for larger ones) of the Isotek disc will be played 24/7 at average levels for 14 days, which my math indicates gives 336 hours of burn-in. [From my experience this should be more than adequate to give these speakers sufficient run in time; the Isotek disc has always done a very nice job of exercising amps (my mono amp mfgr required 400 hours for his amps, and 2 weeks with the disc was more than sufficient), spkr cables, ICs, preamps, etc. However, if it seems more time would be prudent, then I can add another week/7 days which brings burn-in to 504 hours and way more than Zu recommends.) I can check the sound periodically by dropping in a disc with which I'm familiar and monitor changes. After the 14-21 day burn-in, I'll bring the speakers up to my listening room, swap out my old speakers connect the Omen Defs, and start listening fmore tunes with which I'm familiar, reposition the speakers, listen, repeat, etc. I'm sure the Mrs. and friends will chime in with opinions and I think that's a good thing. Even if burn-in takes 21 days, I'll have more than enough time left of the 60-day trial period in which to make up my mind.

I note the Isotek disc can be used on your main system so you don't have to move the speakers twice. I decline this option because my regular system's CD player has some pretty pricey tubes. [However, if you have an old serviceable tape player, you could record the disc to tape and use the tape player as your burn in source. Not sure how the tape player / tape would respond to that level of repetition. If you're using your computer as source then that's something to consider, too.] Please be advised that if you use the Isotek disc for burn-in on your main system, your whole system should be positively affected. [NOTE: track three of the disc is approx only 5 minutes and used for a quick retuning of a treated system prior to a listening session.]

One potential fly in the ointment to keep-or-return decisions is that Zu reported on Facebook, in response to a question that asked, "Any word on a possible Omen sub? There's some forum chatter." that,  "It will be introduced in the next couple of weeks. We finalized our final amplifier test and are moving into production. Anything that's self powered takes a bit longer because a company our size can't risk launching a product with less than optimal electronics. I hope all can understand the delay." Nice to hear Zu is going to be doing this. Decisions, decisions, decisions.  :scratch:

Feel free to PM me with other questions. Mods, if this post needs to be moved off this part of the forum, in advance I apologize.

ncblue

« Reply #319 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:56 am »
If they can improve on the Method sub, it will be spectacular!