Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Mariusz

« Reply #180 on: 26 Nov 2010, 03:59 am »
"7 degrees at 9:20 AM, with 13 mph winds. Brrrrrrrrrrr"
Now that's a nut crashing temperature!!!!
My body shivers just thinking about that.  :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving and glad to hear someone else other then myself likes this circle and what we do here. It's a join effort of many. Unfortunately they can not respond. They're too busy crashing doors down in local chain stores.  :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Zu pricing - I found prices as advertised.
There were some website glitches (I couldn't place the order for speaker cables last night) but I think it had to do with Black Friday sale and small issues with new website. I was able to place my order around 5am this morning. It was confirm via email confirmation 30 min. later.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #181 on: 26 Nov 2010, 04:39 am »
Lyndon...
7 degrees at 9:20 AM, with 13 mph winds. Brrrrrrrrrrr

As Mariusz says...shivers....please keep that weather out west....thanks. :bounce:

Hope you had a happy day.... :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #182 on: 26 Nov 2010, 05:30 am »
Only people in the U.S. see the sale prices, everyone else sees "international" prices. Really confusing.

There's another thread about it here: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=35613.
aha!  i live in the usa, but am presently on location on a project in latvia...

thanks for the head's up...

doug s.

Lyndon

« Reply #183 on: 26 Nov 2010, 07:01 am »
Thanks for the thoughts Mariusz and Wolfy.
I am heading to bed in the L.L. Bean Farmer Johns, merino wool socks, and have an electric mattress pad heater.
Have a great holiday weekend listening to great music.
Just finished watching the excellent documentary on Harry Nilsson's life.
What a great talent. I'm going to have to dig up my VHS copy of "The Point"  Can't get "Me and My Arrow" out of my head.

djbnh

« Reply #184 on: 26 Nov 2010, 09:56 pm »
Anyone considering the Omen Definitions @ today's Black Friday price?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #185 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:49 pm »

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
« Reply #186 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:47 am »
Mariusz,
I just received a pair in "red".  Wow... 400 hours for break in... :slap:

I guess its time to get serious about break in ...wire one spk out of phase & place face to face, and throw a couple of sleeping bags over them with the receiver in mono turned up for a couple of weeks... :sleep:

I wonder what happened to the "dark smokey red"?  I guess I was expecting something like dark cherry like the pre production pics.  The sangria color looks closer to purple / goofy grape in the sunlight... :dunno:
They sound OK out of the box but I will hold off until they are broken in and have a chance to try to find an amp that they really sing with... :banana piano:

My current candidate for cheap & cheerful is a pair of JBL JRX 215's with Selenium 220ti drivers to replace the blown stock ones I got from CL with a total investment of $350... :dance:

After break in on the old Kenwood ss receiver, I will be amping mine with a sweet 6V6 Audio Space mini (approx 14watts) and a vintage Trio EL84 pp W45.

Mariusz

« Reply #187 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:23 am »
Hey YoMoCo

Yes, yes and yes.
Yes, color is different then meets the eye. Their original color samples look totally different from production boxes. Even the most recent pictures of finishes do not tell the whole story. Personally, I like the finish but it is tricky to capture its true character. This shade of red and finish will change depending on light quality, kind, day or night. Not sure if I was able to capture this finish accurately (a bit too warm colors perhaps) but that is pretty much what they look like in this room and lighting.

Yes, break-in is a pain. I left them on 24/7 in my other house and will check on them tomorrow (100 hour +). Due to extended sale I took a bait and bought their speaker cables (makes sense - same cable used between binding posts and drivers). FWIW - Mini Audio Space should sound great with your Zu. Heard that combo once - it worked great.

And yes on the crowning Zu Omen the "Cheap and Cheerful hifi" speaker of all time. For one, it is too early. Yes, I know, everybody thinks it should be easier
to determine their qualities and shortcomings. I could do that but it wouldn't be beneficial to anybody and it could create spontaneous buzz which is not healthy or cheap. I am still hoping to hear back from Tekton about their Lores. I believe that it would be interesting to say the least. If not, I could ask Louis of Omega for one of his new, budget creations or cook up some DIY speakers in similar price range, cosmetics, footprint, spects. :scratch:                         

Please post your impressions once you'll find the right amp and put some hours on those new Omens of yours.

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb:   

Gopher

« Reply #188 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:36 am »
I agree with you reserving judgment on the speakers until they log some serious hours, but you don't have to literally hide them away for weeks.  Crank 'em out of phase with the blankets on for 3 or four days and then listen to them develop naturally.  Thats a part of the fun with new speakers IMO (admittedly less fun with components and cables...)

mbakes

« Reply #189 on: 29 Nov 2010, 04:23 am »
I don't understand all this waiting.  I got my Superflys home, unpacked them and started enjoying them.

JoMoCo

« Reply #190 on: 29 Nov 2010, 04:53 am »
Zu starts break in for their more upscale products at the factory.  The budget omen does not have that labor cost built / or priced into it...so it is left to the end user who usually gladly pays less for the omen and takes care of it them self.

Sam-fi

« Reply #191 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:03 am »
I have some Omen Def in Natural coming to me soon :)
I am towards the top of the list,

Sam

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #192 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:13 am »
Thanks for the thoughts Mariusz and Wolfy.
I am heading to bed in the L.L. Bean Farmer Johns, merino wool socks, and have an electric mattress pad heater.
Have a great holiday weekend listening to great music.
Just finished watching the excellent documentary on Harry Nilsson's life.
What a great talent. I'm going to have to dig up my VHS copy of "The Point"  Can't get "Me and My Arrow" out of my head.

I was just thinking of his excellent tongue-in-cheek song "Joy" today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7v_v7xbagY

Mariusz

« Reply #193 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:45 am »
I don't understand all this waiting.  I got my Superflys home, unpacked them and started enjoying them.

If they were my only speakers, I would certainly listen to them on daily bases.
But they are not. Besides, I am a bit busy finishing my non audio work/projects and that is probably why you do not hear me rushing into my listening room with Omens and trying to get a grasp of their characteristics.

Tomorrow, I will try to take few shots with drivers removed. Hell, these are my speakers right.  :wink:

P.S
My modified Fostex were breaking in for more then 500h and I still believe they're getting better. :scratch:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #194 on: 29 Nov 2010, 08:34 am »
Zu starts break in for their more upscale products at the factory.  The budget omen does not have that labor cost built / or priced into it...

Some how labor cost just doesn't sound right...  However if that is a fitting description of what it takes to break in speakers, or any other kind of audio gear, a life sentence in prison may not be so bad after all. :lol:

skite30

« Reply #195 on: 29 Nov 2010, 10:48 am »
When I ordered my omen's zu offered a 1,2 or 3 week break in option at no extra charge. I asked them to go ahead and break them in for 3 weeks and they said sure no problem. They are scheduled to be shipped out next week.

JoMoCo

Re: Zu Omen - Break-in
« Reply #196 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:06 pm »
After doing some more web research...the high power break-in option is only mentioned if YOU ask about it at time of ordering... :duh:
I would have sprung for the max (3weeks?) if I had known. This is probably more for those of us who hope to use lower power tubes/chip amps for the final setup after the 400hrs...patience is a virtue... :roll:

srb

« Reply #197 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:28 pm »
Even though the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi Guidlines, say

"Individual components shouldn't exceed $350, however in cases of full featured components like integrated amps with DAC, phonostage or headphone amp - its value can be as much as $650", Mariusz decided that these $999 speakers could also be included (he is the facilitator of this circle, after all!).

Well, according to the Zu Audio website, the introductory price has expired and they are now $1500 a pair.  They might still be "Cheerful", but the $1500/pair standard price now invites a lot more comparisons and evaluations with other speakers.

Steve

skite30

« Reply #198 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:48 pm »
zu said they need power to break in properly the 2 watts i have just wouldn't do it.

djbnh

« Reply #199 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:50 am »
Some how labor cost just doesn't sound right...  However if that is a fitting description of what it takes to break in speakers, or any other kind of audio gear, a life sentence in prison may not be so bad after all. :lol:
I recommend using the IsoTek System Enhancer for reducing component / IC / etc break in time. Works very nicely / as advertised every time I use it; it also works nicely for system tune ups. Talk about cheap and cheerful!