Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

RCduck7

« Reply #160 on: 24 Nov 2010, 11:34 pm »
So I've been following this thread for weeks and I think the Tekton's just are not getting any love!

Agreed, although i love the look of the Soul and Superfly cabinets, they are much more expensive.
I hope to read more comments and user reviews on these Tektons and i hope Mariusz will get a pair for review.

Gopher

« Reply #161 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:43 am »
AWESOME MORGANC!!!

You will have to report on your experience there--I'm VERY curious about the Omen Defs.   I suspect that will be a very special speaker as well.  I avoided Zu for years after owning a BoK cable I wasn't crazy about--the way the Druids were described made me feel they would have a weird house sound...  Since jumping on the Soul Superflys however I'm turning into a real fan boy! 

Very special loudspeakers that have pleased me greatly in my time with them.  The Zu103 I'm using on my tonearm ain't too shabby either!

mbakes

« Reply #162 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:54 am »
I'm thinking of sending my 103 for some Zu work.  Everything sounds so good now I don't want to mess with it. 

I'm waiting for the Superfly Definition.

Mariusz

« Reply #163 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:33 am »
Here are few quick shots for your pleasure

From the listening chair

Better view of a single speaker with some jewelery shots

Closeup of the drivers

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #164 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:54 am »
Since the Omen is only 3 Ft. tall....have you experimented in raising them a bit higher ? :scratch:

Charles Xavier

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #165 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:01 am »
Since the Omen is only 3 Ft. tall....have you experimented in raising them a bit higher ? :scratch:

From Zu's site

"Omen has been designed to account for its shorter stature. Placing its full-range 10" driver on top and then time-aligning the super-tweeter to "tilt" the sound in a slight upward direction allows Omen to sound larger and taller than it is. Users can also adjust the feet in the Omen to lean the face of the speaker back further tailoring the sound and loudspeakers integration with the room.

Omen ships with both ball end footers, to be used for ward wood floors; and long spikes to be used for carpeted floors. Omen requires at least a 1/4" (6mm) of space between the speaker bottom and the flooring--if you can't pass a CD jewel case between the floor and speaker bottom, you need to adjust the feet so you can. "

Mariusz

« Reply #166 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:02 am »
Yes I did.
Tricky business adjusting those feet. 1/8 of an inch makes quite a difference.
In my opinion, tilting the speaker helps little as far as soundstage is concern.
Not that it doesn't help/change the sound staging but compromising bass reproduction is too much of a tradeoff.

(Sansui 330 vintage receiver will take over the breaking-in duties for the next week or so - 24/7) 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #167 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:03 am »
OK - thanks....but still...a short speaker.

skeeter99

« Reply #168 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:05 am »
Here are few quick shots for your pleasure

From the listening chair

Better view of a single speaker with some jewelery shots

Closeup of the drivers

Great pics! Those are beautiful speakers and I've been quietly following this thread. If I hadn't just had our 3rd baby I'd probably pick up a set just to try out. Can't wait to hear how the comparison goes!!

Charles Xavier

« Reply #169 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:13 am »
Skeeter, just sell all those Rocket's you have :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #170 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:13 am »
I'll try some 4-6 inch platforms to elevate Omens' tweeter/main driver to more appropriate height. My only concern is bottom bass loading.  :scratch:   

Hey skeeter99
Thanks and it's my pleasure.

Congratulations on new baby  :thumb:

skeeter99

« Reply #171 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:21 am »
Skeeter, just sell all those Rocket's you have :thumb:

I don't have Rockets anymore, just Mini's/X-Voce/Dual MFW's (don't laugh, they're 1st gens and running fantastic) and a set of X-LS in Piano Rosewood. I sold my Rockets to my father in law :)

skeeter99

« Reply #172 on: 25 Nov 2010, 06:22 am »
I'll try some 4-6 inch platforms to elevate Omens' tweeter/main driver to more appropriate height. My only concern is bottom bass loading.  :scratch:   

Hey skeeter99
Thanks and it's my pleasure.

Congratulations on new baby  :thumb:

Your pics are fantastic. Great lighting and detail. And thanks about the baby, he's great :)

Scott

themadmilkman

« Reply #173 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:09 am »

I don't think the bottom bass loading would be affected.  From what I recall the only consideration for the Soul and Omen is that the base of the speaker be at least 1/4" off of the floor.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #174 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:44 am »
Do they vent out of the bottom?

Mariusz

« Reply #175 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:21 am »
Do they vent out of the bottom?

They do (4 thin slots). That's why spacing between speaker and surface is crucial in getting bass just right. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #176 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:00 pm »
wazzup w/zu's black friday sale webpage?  now prices are higher than retail.  maybe they will change tomorrow?

while certainly not "cheap and cheerful", i think i would like to hear the soul def - even tho it's not out yet - if zu, in its comparison chart, says these are "awesome" and "excellent" in resolution of tone and detail, maybe they would acceptable for me for a main system...  detail, especially, is where zu falls down, for a speaker i could live with long term in a main system...

doug s.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #177 on: 25 Nov 2010, 03:58 pm »
wazzup w/zu's black friday sale webpage?  now prices are higher than retail.  maybe they will change tomorrow?

while certainly not "cheap and cheerful", i think i would like to hear the soul def - even tho it's not out yet - if zu, in its comparison chart, says these are "awesome" and "excellent" in resolution of tone and detail, maybe they would acceptable for me for a main system...  detail, especially, is where zu falls down, for a speaker i could live with long term in a main system...

doug s.

It shows sale prices on me end

Lyndon

« Reply #178 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:18 pm »
MariusZ,
I was awakened in the middle of the night, by the rattling of ice encrusted branches hitting each other in the sub-zero land of Utah.
I arose to get a glass of water, and took a peek at AC, to see those gorgeous photos you posted! :o
It was like Christmas!
You said:
They do (4 thin slots). That's why spacing between speaker and surface is crucial in getting bass just right
I assume you mean that the placement of the tweeter under the midrange is not hitting your ear level when sitting down?  And you are trying to elevate the speaker without screwing up the porting on the bottom?  That would concern me as well.  Hope you can work it out. Thanks again, Mariusz, for running the cheap and cheerful forum.  It is one of my favorites!  Happy Holidays!
Lyndon
7 degrees at 9:20 AM, with 13 mph winds. Brrrrrrrrrrr
Time to fire up the tube amps!  I need the Kronzillas!!!! :lol:

dboulet

« Reply #179 on: 26 Nov 2010, 02:01 am »

Only people in the U.S. see the sale prices, everyone else sees "international" prices. Really confusing.

There's another thread about it here: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=35613.