Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Mariusz

« Reply #140 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:28 pm »
Marius, they look good.  I've been playing around with placement but it's a small room so not a lot of options.  At the moment they are set up like this and I think it's working for me.  They are 6'5" center of driver to center of driver:

Hey mbakes
Nice setup - both digital & analog :thumb:
Your speaker placement looks similar to what it is going to look like in the main listening room.  :wink:

mbakes

« Reply #141 on: 21 Nov 2010, 08:20 pm »
Thanks.  The only thing missing on the digital end is m Sonic Studio Amarra 4, which is out for repair.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #142 on: 21 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm »
Zu recommends 400+ hours of break-in time.  Not sure if I can wait that long......... (that's almost 17 days straight)

To do a fair comparison....I'd go by what they say.... :wink:

Mariusz

« Reply #143 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:22 pm »
To do a fair comparison....I'd ogo by what they say.... :wink:

True.  Besides, I need to break-in few cables, Dodd buffer and Wyred4Sound 2 DAC.  :duh:

Anyway, it is going to be a while before comperison takes place because of some component shortage at Tekton. But I have been told that we are still doing that and pair of Lores will eventually make it over here.
But there is no pressure - I understand that it might be troublesome for companies run by one man does it all like Tekton. In the worst case scenario, we will focus strictly on Omens.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 11:55 pm by Mariusz »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #144 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:24 pm »
............. 8)

Charles Xavier

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #145 on: 22 Nov 2010, 10:45 pm »
Zu Black Friday Sale ,Yummy
http://www.zuaudio.com/blackfriday/

mca

« Reply #146 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:01 am »
Is anyone else out there confused about the differences between the old Druid and the new Omen and Soul?

yo2tup

« Reply #147 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:05 am »
Is anyone else out there confused about the differences between the old Druid and the new Omen and Soul?

I'm confused with the Omen Def. vs. the Soul Superfly.  They are priced within $100 of each other, so which is better and how would one choose between the two?  :scratch:

mbakes

« Reply #148 on: 23 Nov 2010, 12:18 am »
Check out the comparison chart link which opens a PDF file that will assist you.  I have the Superfly and was wondering whether the Omen Def would have an advantage for me.  I noticed on the chart there is a mention of a Superfly Definition which was mentioned at RMAF somewhat cryptically.  I was told not to hold off on the Superfly and if, when they come out I want to upgrade they would work something out with me.

pardales

« Reply #149 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:44 pm »
I'm confused with the Omen Def. vs. the Soul Superfly.  They are priced within $100 of each other, so which is better and how would one choose between the two?  :scratch:

At the Black Friday prices, you've got the Soul Superly, Omen Def, and Essence all within $200 of each other. How would you choose?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #150 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:53 pm »
Flip a coin!

mbakes

« Reply #151 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:56 pm »
Or take a look at this chart I referenced 2 or 3 posts earlier:  http://www.zuaudio.com/pdfs/ComparisonChartLsWEB.pdf

shadowlight

« Reply #152 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:57 pm »
At the Black Friday prices, you've got the Soul Superly, Omen Def, and Essence all within $200 of each other. How would you choose?

I was told Omen was more geared towards solid state amps v/s Soul and Essense for tube amps.

The comparision chart is also help: http://www.zuaudio.com/pdfs/comparisonchartlsweb.pdf

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #153 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:27 pm »
mariusz, not sure which decware amps you have, but if they are anything like mine were, (also 5wpc), i'd recommend getting something else to try w/the zu's.  my decware amps really did not like any speakers higher than 8 ohms, and they preferred 4 ohms.  they were completely lifeless driving 14 ohm 97db-efficient coincident wictory's, which are an extremely easy speaker to drive...  i had (and still have) several other 4-8wpc tube amps that were heavenly w/the coincidents...

ymmv,

doug s.

pardales

« Reply #154 on: 23 Nov 2010, 08:33 pm »
I was told Omen was more geared towards solid state amps v/s Soul and Essense for tube amps.

The comparision chart is also help: http://www.zuaudio.com/pdfs/comparisonchartlsweb.pdf

Interesting chart, thanks. Helps a little. One must trust the scale of "fair-good-excellent-awesome". Interesting times....

Mariusz

« Reply #155 on: 23 Nov 2010, 09:11 pm »
mariusz, not sure which decware amps you have, but if they are anything like mine were, (also 5wpc), i'd recommend getting something else to try w/the zu's.  my decware amps really did not like any speakers higher than 8 ohms, and they preferred 4 ohms.  they were completely lifeless driving 14 ohm 97db-efficient coincident wictory's, which are an extremely easy speaker to drive...  i had (and still have) several other 4-8wpc tube amps that were heavenly w/the coincidents...

ymmv,

doug s.

.....or I could get a receiver (I think I still have Yamaha 3090 somewhere), which according to chart, brings excellent results across the board. :lol:

But seriously,
I did not get Zu Omens expecting miracles but use it as reference, inexpensive, high efficiency, commercial design speakers to compare my diy speaker adventures to. And yes, there are plans to use amps other then Decware SV83M.

So, is Zu Omen the greatest value in today's hifi world...........? We shall see.
But regardless of what Omens might sound like after the break in period, I would say that these speakers have so much going for them self that passing on the "in home trial" and generous promotional savings might be very regretful for those who are in the market for speakers of that kind and in that price range.

The only alternatives to my knowledge, which might be considered alternatives to Zu Omens are speakers from Omega, Tekton and perhaps Hornshoppe speakers.

Mariusz :thumb:

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 01:01 am by Mariusz »

Mariusz

« Reply #156 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:11 pm »
Topic was briefly locked due to unexplained (most likely accidental mishap) reasons but it is back to normal now.
Thanks Shadowlight for bringing it up to my attention. :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #157 on: 24 Nov 2010, 07:22 am »
.....or I could get a receiver (I think I still have Yamaha 3090 somewhere), which according to chart, brings excellent results across the board. :lol:     
mariusz, the point i was trying to make is that the 5w decware amps (unless specially configured for higher-ohm speakers) truly suck w/higher-ohm speakers, imo...  definitely try other amps...   :wink:

doug s.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #158 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:55 am »
So I've been following this thread for weeks and I think the Tekton's just are not getting any love! Doesn't anyone else own a pair of Tektons? I've had mine for maybe a month. I'd say they might have a 100 hours or so on them.
I originally inquired about the Lore. After talking to Eric, we came up with something he thought might work better for me, given my room, system and music preferences. Mine are kind of a cross between the old and new Katz Meow speaker, finished in walnut. They feature the cabinet and Fostex driver from the original Katz with the Audax gold tweeter from the new version. I was offered this speaker in black for $850.00, plus shipping. I wanted them finished in walnut. As it was, I was able to have this speaker, finished in walnut, delivered to my house at right around $1200.00.
My listening room is tiny, maybe 10' X 12'. My music preference is classical, acoustic, classical, jazz, classical, rock, classical, rock and, oh yeah, classical.
The rest of my system is a Clearaudio Concept with a Maestro MM cartridge, PS Audio phono stage, Denon 2900 used as a transport with a PS Audio DAC, an itty bitty Parasound tuner, a Conrad Johnson Classic preamp [no longer for sale] and, last but not least, an Almarro A205mk.II integrated [with Gold Lion tubes], used here as a power amp. All cabling is mid level Audioquest.
This system puts out a stunning 5wpc. The Tektons just fly with the 5 watts. If I could describe the sound, the first word that comes to mind would be "clean". Tone is spot on, great dynamics, great detail. Excellent bass response. Right out of the box, they were ugly. Within around an hour or so, they started making music. They continue to sound better and better, the more I play them.
They are so clean sounding, they take a little getting used to. I am appreciating the bass in these more and more. At first listen, one might think they are bass shy. Not so. It's back to that clean thing again. If bass is in the recording, the Tektons will play it. The bass presentation is different from what you hear on regular loudspeakers but it's certainly there. You get used to it pretty quick. I expect these will continue to get better yet as more music is played through them.
No idea how they would stack up against the Zu but I'm happy with them. Eric Alexander mentioned that they Lore was designed for people who want to rock. In a big room. He said these would offer a more refined, detailed sound while working much better in my tiny listening room. He was right, I love them! Anyone around Baltimore interested in hearing them is welcome to drop by for a visit. There are a few more pics in my gallery.

morganc

« Reply #159 on: 24 Nov 2010, 08:57 pm »
I just made the call and ordered the new Omen Def's as Zu now offers free shipping in both directions ( if you decide to return) along with  a 60 day trial.....will let you know my impressions after i get them in.