Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Mariusz

« Reply #80 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:35 am »
Thank you for your comment David. That's exactly the variety of opinions we need. Yes, I am hardcore tubeoholic and love both of my SET amps but it doesn't mean that my mind is prefixed on one and only ideal arrangement. Butlers are certainly nice but out of my price range. Other options might be used Cherry amp or Class D (DIY) mono-block modules. Or I'll just stick with what I have in-house but helll if I will pass on opportunity to hear these speakers with monster power amps.
 :lol: :wink: :thumb:
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2010, 05:43 am by Mariusz »

Mariusz

« Reply #81 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:43 am »
wow.  you guys mean BIG power!  Gotcha.

Ironically, I'm sitting here listening to my Superflys with my Firstwatt F1J and its finally starting to come around and start to sound enjoyable--a 10wpc current amp. 

It truly is amazing how different the Zu speakers sounds with different amplifiers.  I guess thats their transparency, but its dangerous in that it makes amp rolling too much fun.  Just listed my Dyna in the trading post to try other tube gems at higher price points...   Was thinking the 15-100wpc range tho.   :lol:

I wasn't joking about 800wpc either.
Designer's roots are deep in pro-audio and there is this saying (quote): there is never too much POWER!!!! But now we are getting a bit off topic and into gray territory. 
So, let's break it down a bit......
If you played in the band, have music-pro background, love live concerts go with power. 
Otherwise, go with your instinct. 
 :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #82 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:49 am »
there is never too much POWER!!!!

I like that.... :rock: :jester:

shadowlight

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #83 on: 4 Oct 2010, 12:53 pm »
Tour or shoot out? Or both? ;)

Both  :lol:

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #84 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:11 pm »

Tekton Design Lore 10 Inch Full Range loudspeakers

$850 for the pair. Just posted on Audiogon

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1291481520&/Tekton-Design-Lore-10-Inch-Full-Range

Mariusz

« Reply #85 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:13 pm »
Both  :lol:

well then, it looks like you, Chris, Ed and myself.
One more participant might be in order to tip the scale in case of a tie.           

Charles Xavier

« Reply #86 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm »
well then, it looks like you, Chris, Ed and myself.
One more participant might be in order to tip the scale in case of a tie.           

Don't forget me

Mariusz

« Reply #87 on: 5 Oct 2010, 11:49 pm »

Don't forget me

Almost did :lol:

Seems like we are set.

I have other (small room where we can setup other gear you might want to bring.

Mariusz

« Reply #88 on: 6 Oct 2010, 12:20 am »
I like that.... :rock: :jester:

800wpc should be enough.
Driver and tweeter are capable of handling short nanosecond bursts. These short peaks can sometimes require more then 800wpc.  :duh:
Yeah, sure some are shaking their heads.....

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #89 on: 6 Oct 2010, 12:43 am »

Other options might be used Cherry amp or Class D (DIY) mono-block modules. Or I'll just stick with what I have in-house but helll if I will pass on opportunity to hear these speakers with monster power amps.

The Spectron was just getting warmed up - it had being sitting unused for around 9 months. Powered up only overnight. Then I listened to it drive the system over an 8 hour period while working in the office. I was using a mid-level passive volume control.

What I'm trying to say is that this was not the best of setups. So my take-away needs to be considered accordingly.

The most significant difference, and I was able to hear this immediately, was much more insight into the music. The inner detail and resolution just opened up as if a spotlight had been turned on.

The Zu Superflys do respond to what you feed them or what is upstream. I find this to be a very positive attribute of a speaker. I don't think of the Superflys as an ultimate truth machine, like some speakers are described as being, but they allow enough of the truth to pass through to keep me in my sweet spot and keep things honest.

My sense is that had I paired the Spectron with a proper pre and had provided for more time to let things settle down, as well as listen to the pairing over a more extended time period, my impressions of a high power amp paired with the Superflys would only have improved.

I am going out on a limb when I say this, but I do believe that the Superflys will reward the listener if a higher level of power is used to drive them. And I also believe most Superfly owners will not drive them in this manner. And that will be a lost opportunity, in my opinion. It certainly was in my case.

Mariusz

« Reply #90 on: 6 Oct 2010, 02:57 am »

What I'm trying to say is that this was not the best of setups. So my take-away needs to be considered accordingly.

You are absolutely right.
Some might get the wrong impression and feeling when reading these posts.
It doesn't matter what you use with your Zus (or other speakers) as long as you are happy with your set up.
What we are doing here is simply speculating and weighting on common practices in regards to high efficiency speaker setup.

The most significant difference, and I was able to hear this immediately, was much more insight into the music. The inner detail and resolution just opened up as if a spotlight had been turned on.

It might be due to extended dynamic range and headroom. :weights:

The Zu Superflys do respond to what you feed them or what is upstream. I find this to be a very positive attribute of a speaker. I don't think of the Superflys as an ultimate truth machine, like some speakers are described as being, but they allow enough of the truth to pass through to keep me in my sweet spot and keep things honest.

That's good thing right?
That is what I like about most single driver designs. But like everything in life, there too have obvious limitations. :tempted:

My sense is that had I paired the Spectron with a proper pre and had provided for more time to let things settle down, as well as listen to the pairing over a more extended time period, my impressions of a high power amp paired with the Superflys would only have improved.

You are probably right. Perhaps quality tube preamp.   :wink:

I am going out on a limb when I say this, but I do believe that the Superflys will reward the listener if a higher level of power is used to drive them. And I also believe most Superfly owners will not drive them in this manner. And that will be a lost opportunity, in my opinion. It certainly was in my case.

It is probably going to be my case as well. I am planing to run them with 300B PSE (18wpc) monos and tube preamp. At least for now.

Ones I get my Dodd buffer back (almost forgot about that), I am planing (if I find the time) to build some tweaked out Class D amps........ with members' help ofcause.

Mariusz :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #91 on: 6 Oct 2010, 03:12 am »
As for the shoot-out....let's just call it a comparison... :wink:

But a "no excuse" comparison....meaning speakers are "fully" broken in....all equipment in top shape...everything ready for testing.

Take your time....give the speakers all they need....so their "ready to roll".

How's that sound Mariusz..... :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #92 on: 6 Oct 2010, 03:37 am »
As for the shoot-out....let's just call it a comparison... :wink:

But a "no excuse" comparison....meaning speakers are "fully" broken in....all equipment in top shape...everything ready for testing.

Take your time....give the speakers all they need....so their "ready to roll".

How's that sound Mariusz..... :thumb:

Sounds good.
I will give them both few hundred hours of burn-in time.

Comparison will be conducted in real life room - nothing special, except few acoustic treatments to band aid some room anomalies such as odd shape, doors, window and 1st reflections.

Q: what would you recommend for quick A/B switching? I do not want to blindfold you guys. :lol:

I am not sure if we can replicate these tests but I am listening to your ideas..........

lonewolfny42

« Reply #93 on: 6 Oct 2010, 03:49 am »
Q: what would you recommend for quick A/B switching? I do not want to blindfold you guys.

I do have a blindfold....really !! :lol:

So....you want to do quick A/B switching?

Why not play one pair....then the next pair....taking notes along the way....all the same musical selections.

I think all of the people selected are "experienced"....and fully able to pick out the different aspects of each pair of speakers. 8)

Sam-fi

« Reply #94 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:12 am »
I am preparing to go in for a pair of the omens in blue with some mission speaker cables and power cables. From what I hear the Omen is most like the Druid in the "definition" of the speaker. But have more the traits of the soul's frequency response - most notable changes are in the bass and in the upper mid-range. The Omen drivers are modified Druid drivers while the Soul uses a whole new driver system.

I was elated because I have been considering the soul superfly for a long time and it has been just outside my price range. I am also purchasing a Peachtree Nova to drive the darn things. Synergistic super bang-for-the-buck.

I am saving money because I am downsizing a Harbeth system.

Sam

Mariusz

« Reply #95 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:42 am »
I do have a blindfold....really !! :lol:

So....you want to do quick A/B switching?

Why not play one pair....then the next pair....taking notes along the way....all the same musical selections.

I think all of the people selected are "experienced"....and fully able to pick out the different aspects of each pair of speakers. 8)

We can do that.
We will also need some quality tracks that we are all familiar with.
Perhaps one of NYAR CDs?

Mariusz

« Reply #96 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:45 am »
I am preparing to go in for a pair of the omens in blue with some mission speaker cables and power cables. From what I hear the Omen is most like the Druid in the "definition" of the speaker. But have more the traits of the soul's frequency response - most notable changes are in the bass and in the upper mid-range. The Omen drivers are modified Druid drivers while the Soul uses a whole new driver system.

I was elated because I have been considering the soul superfly for a long time and it has been just outside my price range. I am also purchasing a Peachtree Nova to drive the darn things. Synergistic super bang-for-the-buck.

I am saving money because I am downsizing a Harbeth system.

Sam

Good stuff.
Not sure about the drivers tho. They all look like modified Eminence widebanders.....

« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2010, 06:14 am by Mariusz »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #97 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:48 am »
We will also need some quality tracks that we are all familiar with.
Perhaps one of NYAR CDs?

Right....music is not a problem.

I'll "whip up" a nice selection of tunes....get it off to everyone....so they get to know them all. :wink:

Mariusz

« Reply #98 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:55 am »

Right....music is not a problem.

I'll "whip up" a nice selection of tunes....get it off to everyone....so they get to know them all. :wink:

SUPER!
Thanks Chris :thumb:

Beerbudget

« Reply #99 on: 28 Oct 2010, 03:44 am »
New guy's first post here.  Just want to say Hi and that I'm watching this thread and anxiously awaiting the result of this fun fest.