Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Mariusz

« Reply #100 on: 28 Oct 2010, 06:00 pm »
New guy's first post here.  Just want to say Hi and that I'm watching this thread and anxiously awaiting the result of this fun fest.

Hello Beerbudget

1st - warm welcome to Audio Circle
2nd - like your username
3th - just like you, I am anxiously awaiting both speakers.
Once they arrive, I'll try my best to report about experiences with both speakers, companies, setup, associated gear, lots of pictures etc.
I hope that you & others will find it interesting and informative.

Best
Mariusz   

morganc

« Reply #101 on: 28 Oct 2010, 07:38 pm »
HI Mariusz,
    Which speakers are you waiting for?  I was considering ordering the Omens and the Superfly's to compare with my Essence, but it just seems like a bit much....will wait to hear more from you guys :D

Mariusz

« Reply #102 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:30 pm »
HI Mariusz,
    Which speakers are you waiting for?  I was considering ordering the Omens and the Superfly's to compare with my Essence, but it just seems like a bit much....will wait to hear more from you guys :D

Thread started with questions and speculations about Zu Omen and its value. Along the thread came the news about new speakers coming out from Tekton Design named Lore. Zu Omens have been ordered but thought of similar speakers with similar drivers, price, size and design foundation was intriguing.
Making the long story short - owner of Tekton Design agreed to send a pair of his new Lore speakers for evaluation and comperison reasons.
Anywhere between beginning and the end of November we should have both speakers in house. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #103 on: 29 Oct 2010, 12:08 am »
Hey Mariusz,

Do you have any previous experience with Zu?  I'm still a virgin in that regard, but when the Druids arrive on Friday, they will be fully broken in. My understanding is they need around 250-300 hours to open up.

Mariusz

« Reply #104 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:41 am »
Hey Mariusz,

Do you have any previous experience with Zu?  I'm still a virgin in that regard, but when the Druids arrive on Friday, they will be fully broken in. My understanding is they need around 250-300 hours to open up.

To some extent, yes.
Several audio shows ( which were all poorly setup & sounded terrible ) & few home/dealer setups (much better). 
My experience is limited to Druids and Definition (maybe Essence too).

Mariusz :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #105 on: 29 Oct 2010, 02:55 am »
Even with a lot of prior hours on them, I'd crank them for a couple days while at the office before getting too critical...  if only to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Eadron

« Reply #106 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:39 am »
Hi,

anyone received a pair yet? Are they still offering those at introductory price in the US?

Thanks,
Jouni

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #107 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:30 pm »
Are they still offering those at introductory price in the US?

Looks like still at introductory pricing:

http://omen.zuaudio.com/

Mariusz

« Reply #108 on: 13 Nov 2010, 01:22 am »
Still waiting for my pair :(
But they already promote new Omen Def.

Mariusz

« Reply #109 on: 13 Nov 2010, 01:29 am »
And for those from Tekton fan club - cool test and intro on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcdZEbKTDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm6jHGQEmog

:thumb:

lushds

« Reply #110 on: 13 Nov 2010, 02:45 am »
Anyone got a pair in yet? please post impressions. thank you!

GerryD

« Reply #111 on: 13 Nov 2010, 09:32 pm »
There's a thread on the Omens over at audioreview.com.  If you read the second page of posts, a guy name Poultrygeist has them and has posted some early listening impressions.

Lyndon

« Reply #112 on: 13 Nov 2010, 10:12 pm »
Man, Mariusz,
I thought you ordered yours pretty quickly, but where are you now in their delivery times?

That is some serious downtime.
I clicked this thread just to read your impressions.
Lyndon

Mariusz

« Reply #113 on: 13 Nov 2010, 10:43 pm »
Hey Lyndon

You're right - it has been a while.
From email received today (from FedEx not Zu) it appears that my rustic red pair is ready for pick up from Zu factory. Delivery estimated date - Nov. 19th.
Fingers crossed.

themadmilkman

« Reply #114 on: 13 Nov 2010, 11:49 pm »
Hey Lyndon

You're right - it has been a while.
From email received today (from FedEx not Zu) it appears that my rustic red pair is ready for pick up from Zu factory. Delivery estimated date - Nov. 19th.
Fingers crossed.

You should see the Zu factory.  Every available inch was covered in Omens.  They've apparently sold over 200 pairs already.  I'm sure your pair was in there, and the red really does look good in person.

From talking to Kristian they expect the new Omen Definition to be a big seller, and the Omen line is expanding even further.  Pictures of the center channel have been released, and that's really just the beginning.

Oh, and this is me:

The green is... interesting... but they sound great!

Mariusz

« Reply #115 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm »
Those green Souls look amazing!
Did you pick those up from Zu?
BTW. Looks like a great bounding trip.  :thumb:
and that's for feedback......

Mariusz

mbakes

« Reply #116 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:53 pm »
They look like green pair from RMAF that were raffled off.  I can thank that green pair for the enjoyment I am now getting out of my Superfly's.  All you guys getting the Omen, having heard them, they are excellent as well.

themadmilkman

« Reply #117 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:21 am »
They look like green pair from RMAF that were raffled off.

Correct.  I can't tell you how excited I was when they called and told me that I won, even if it was on the first day of a 2-week business trip and I knew I wouldn't be able to pick them up until afterwards.  I had decided to purchase a pair of Omens based on what I heard at RMAF and my current budgetary restrictions, so filling out that piece of paper ultimately saved me a lot of cash.  I'm glad you like your pair.  I'm certainly enjoying these.

Mariusz - I did pick them up directly from Zu.  I live in Salt Lake City; the drive up to their factory only takes 30-40 minutes.  I've been up twice, once right after the Soul Superfly was released and again this last week.  To say that they appear busier now barely begins to describe it.

Mariusz

« Reply #118 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:58 am »
Wow themadmilkman !!!
I guess that green represents the lucky shamrock?
There was one other finish that is IMO priceless - kids art cover speakers which were donated for action.
Very cool. (and important gesture)

Mariusz :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #119 on: 19 Nov 2010, 10:32 pm »
Omens are here!
......... in one piece. :thumb: