Linked Events

• New York Audio & AV Show 2012: 13 Apr 2012 - 15 Apr 2012

New York Audio & AV Show 2012

saisunil

Re: New York Audio & AV Show 2012
« Reply #60 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:49 am »
Funny you mentioned piano recordings played at the show - I felt the same way.  The Harbeth C7's did a better job with piano than a lot of the uber systems, IMO...
In the gradient room they did an A. B. C.  Demo with their full range system and OB subs, Helsinki with subs and Harbeth monitors with subs.

It was clear how the harbeths had strong affinity towards vocals and piano - something to do with their tone and affectatatious coloration ...

saisunil

« Reply #61 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:53 am »
I would have asked to review the combo too, but I have a $10k ceiling for electronics and $20k ceiling for speakers.  Maybe one of the other reviewers at Stereo Times is getting them for audition. 

Their most outstanding part was their sweet and extended treble in the best possible way I can say. The rest of the frequency spectrum was rather held back / over- damped perhaps due to their need for break-in.

There was nothing wrong with the system, let's put it that way. it was not spectacular either - you can call it their strong point if you would or lack there of ...

Also the speaker technology offered something completely new

OzarkTom

« Reply #62 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:04 am »
Cnet rated the Zeallaton's and the Berning ZOTL preamp very highly. They also loved the Gradients that Sunil liked.

http://news.cnet.com/2300-13645_3-10011962-5.html

OzarkTom

« Reply #63 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:12 am »
I would have asked to review the combo too, but I have a $10k ceiling for electronics and $20k ceiling for speakers.  Maybe one of the other reviewers at Stereo Times is getting them for audition.

You might want to take a look at the Zellaton Emotion speakers at $24,750 at then wait for the new Mola-Mola electronics coming out in May. That should be about $30K. Here is a small write-up on the Emotions.

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=228&catid=85&Itemid=269

A strong point on the Zellaton's, no crossovers.

TONEPUB

« Reply #64 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:32 am »
I took a pair in on trade back in the mid-eighties. You could still buy a pair for about $650 on the used market. I hooked them up to a Musical Fidelity A-1 integrated at $375 retail. The musical content floored everyone that walked into my shop.

Same here, I paid about the same and always regretted getting rid of them.  Wayne charges $5000 for a fully rebuilt set and from what I heard at the show, worth every penny.  They will be a second system, so when I really want to blast Led Zeppelin, I still have the GamuT's, but for that thing a pair of 57's do, these are fantastic...

ltr317

« Reply #65 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:52 am »
Cnet rated the Zeallaton's and the Berning ZOTL preamp very highly. They also loved the Gradients that Sunil liked.

I was in the room when Steve G. was there.  I could tell he enjoyed the sound.

ltr317

« Reply #66 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:59 am »
You might want to take a look at the Zellaton Emotion speakers at $24,750 at then wait for the new Mola-Mola electronics coming out in May. That should be about $30K. Here is a small write-up on the Emotions.

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=228&catid=85&Itemid=269

A strong point on the Zellaton's, no crossovers.

I may be interested in a few months, but right now I have a couple of components on my reviewer's plate.  I know Gideon of Audioarts.  He's moving his showroom to the Flatiron building in the summer.  It may be the right time to wander over for an audition.   :D

ltr317

« Reply #67 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:13 am »

I liked the Gradient room also.  Excellent, detailed bass.  I also like the Wes Bender room, as well as the GT Audio speaker room.  I've heard the Clue at the past two RMAFs, which have been quite impressive for the money.  Did you hear them last Oct. Tom?  They sounded equally good at the Waldorf.  The Music First   room, with their preamp, original Rogers LS3/5 speakers, and reel-to-reel was probably my favorite at this show.  The music was very natural and organic sounding.  I'm getting their entry level preamp for review in a few months.  It's a hand-made in U.K. passive unit, with quality parts and hand wound transformers for $2,500 (entry level).  One of the partners also owns Stevens & Billington, a 50 year old family owned transformer company.  They supply to several high end audio companies as well as the BBC. 

saisunil

« Reply #68 on: 24 Apr 2012, 03:23 am »
I was stuck with Dan D'Agostino on a wrong elevator bank and #18 was broken ... anyway that led to an enthusiastic mini discourse by Dan ...

He of course is most proud of his new line ... with hand matched components

He loved wilsons and I told him how I hated them mated with VTLs ... the bass for too boomy for me ... at least when I went to the room and the way it was set up - across the long wall - in the corner ...

Dan mentioned that wilsons need a solid state amp on the woofers - for them to really shine ...

So much about system synergy ...

just sharing ...

Paul it is always fun to hang out with you :)

OzarkTom

« Reply #69 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:58 am »
I liked the Gradient room also.  Excellent, detailed bass.  I also like the Wes Bender room, as well as the GT Audio speaker room.  I've heard the Clue at the past two RMAFs, which have been quite impressive for the money.  Did you hear them last Oct. Tom?  They sounded equally good at the Waldorf.  The Music First   room, with their preamp, original Rogers LS3/5 speakers, and reel-to-reel was probably my favorite at this show.  The music was very natural and organic sounding.  I'm getting their entry level preamp for review in a few months.  It's a hand-made in U.K. passive unit, with quality parts and hand wound transformers for $2,500 (entry level).  One of the partners also owns Stevens & Billington, a 50 year old family owned transformer company.  They supply to several high end audio companies as well as the BBC.

I heard the Clues, those were fun to listen too.

I first heard the LS3/5a's back in 79 on Mac tube gear. It was incredible. I sold a lot of the Spendor LS3/5a's back in the 80''s. It is hard to beat the old Quads, LS3/5a, and Spendor SP1's for music. They don't razzle dazzle, but you can listen forever without fatigue. They have the magic.

Gideon sure knows his stuff about music. He loved the sound back in the 70's-80's also. If you go to Audioarts, also listen to the Rethm Maargas with Rethm's own SET amp. I am burning that set-up at the moment, it is very organic and magical.

OzarkTom

« Reply #70 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm »
I was stuck with Dan D'Agostino on a wrong elevator bank and #18 was broken ... anyway that led to an enthusiastic mini discourse by Dan ...

The worst I ever heard at a CES show was back in the early 90's with Martin Logans and all Krell electronics. I had them play the Buddy Holly cut that sounds so magical on every system I have ever heard, but horrible on that system. It gave me a migraine in less than 30 seconds. :(

OzarkTom

« Reply #71 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:40 pm »
Someone posted a video of the Zellaton-Berning room on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSALXj7A6E

ltr317

« Reply #72 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:45 am »
Someone posted a video of the Zellaton-Berning room on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSALXj7A6E

That's the Johnny Hartman album that was playing when I was in the room, but I don't recognize any of the attendees.  Gideon must have played the album several times during the three days. 

SET Man

« Reply #73 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:55 am »
..... The Music First   room, with their preamp, original Rogers LS3/5 speakers, and reel-to-reel was probably my favorite at this show.  The music was very natural and organic sounding. 

Hey!

Paul/ltr317, that was one of my favorite room also. When I walked in and saw the Bel Canto I didn't expected much but the system as a whole sounded very good. No it didn't have the deep bass or detail like bigger system but the mid was excellent, musical and extremely enjoyable for sure.

And beside the $7.9K pre every thing else is obtainable for most audiophile. True that those Roger aren't cheap used but they can be found.

Also, another thing that kept me in that room for a while was that they were playing Saint etienne "Foxbase Alpha" off the Revox R2R when I was there. one of my favorite album form the early '90s. I was like... "Finally a room with my kind of music and sound good too!"  :D

BTW... see post #48 for other rooms that I like. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2012, 02:58 am by SET Man »

zacster

« Reply #74 on: 27 Apr 2012, 02:35 am »
Funny you mentioned piano recordings played at the show - I felt the same way.  The Harbeth C7's did a better job with piano than a lot of the uber systems, IMO...

But nothing sounds like the real thing, in your own home. 

My wife will always want me to turn down the music, no matter what.  But when my daughters play the piano nobody ever says "turn it down," and it is many times louder than I ever play my audio gear.  Of course when I play the piano they all go running. ;)

ltr317

« Reply #75 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:45 am »
Hey!

Paul/ltr317, that was one of my favorite room also. When I walked in and saw the Bel Canto I didn't expected much but the system as a whole sounded very good. No it didn't have the deep bass or detail like bigger system but the mid was excellent, musical and extremely enjoyable for sure.

And beside the $7.9K pre every thing else is obtainable for most audiophile. True that those Roger aren't cheap used but they can be found.

Also, another thing that kept me in that room for a while was that they were playing Saint etienne "Foxbase Alpha" off the Revox R2R when I was there. one of my favorite album form the early '90s. I was like... "Finally a room with my kind of music and sound good too!"  :D

BTW... see post #48 for other rooms that I like. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Hi Buddy,

Very nice photos of the Music First room, as well as your photos from the other rooms.  I read your comments the other day.  :thumb:    The company has an entry level preamp for $2,500 USD which I will get for review in a couple of months. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #76 on: 6 May 2012, 02:12 pm »
These new KEF' LS50's were shown in Munich this weekend and are being touted as the new replacements for the LS3/5a. These are the 50th year anniversary model since LS3/5a has been out for 50 years. These are going to be $1499 for the pair and due out in June. They look very nice. :thumb:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=252:kefs-killer-compact-monitor-the-ls50&catid=88:features&Itemid=314,

ltr317

« Reply #77 on: 18 May 2012, 07:09 am »
I know it's a bit late, but Clement Perry just posted the NY Waldorf Show on Stereotimes.com  He was preoccupied with getting to the Munich show a couple of weeks after the NY show, and I guess decided to wait until he returned to publish his comments.  I added my impressions of the show if anyone wants to read more NY Waldorf show coverage.