Need some hand holdin'

Mag

Need some hand holdin'
« on: 28 Aug 2019, 02:47 pm »
Okay I'm trying to set up a turntable so that I can transfer numerous Lp's to cd.
 I have two Technic TT both with broken belts, one is basic, the other has some kind of gears and strobe light. The basic one has the cartridge the better one has no cartridge. And a Dual, with a cheap cartridge, but a good belt. I didn't want to use the Dual because the last time I recall using it I was getting a hum from what I believe was where the tonearm and cartridge meet.

So the question is are all belts for turntables the same size.

Next I have no phono in on pre-amp, I tried hooking TT through Tape and Aux, but sound is weak, at least I know I'm getting sound, but the speed was slow, so is the belt slipping?

The question, if I connect the TT phono outs to a Roxio Usb adaptor and then to Usb In on external dac, do you think I will get sound?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Need some hand holdin'
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2019, 03:11 pm »
The easiest answer about belts. no... many belts are different sizes.
All a waste of time if you have no phono preamp or built in phono preamp section in some other device.
The phono preamp, besides signal strength, also adjusts for a compensation in all LPs. Without a real phono section or preamp, any copying will suck, bigtime anyway.
Belts are not expensive, and you can find them online.
The phono preamp? buy a used cheap one, do the project, and resell it.

I have a feeling you will be spending way more than the project is worth? Too bad you cannot borrow such items to do the job.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2019, 06:29 pm »
Okay I'm trying to set up a turntable so that I can transfer numerous Lp's to cd.
 I have two Technic TT both with broken belts, one is basic, the other has some kind of gears and strobe light. The basic one has the cartridge the better one has no cartridge. And a Dual, with a cheap cartridge, but a good belt. I didn't want to use the Dual because the last time I recall using it I was getting a hum from what I believe was where the tonearm and cartridge meet.

So the question is are all belts for turntables the same size.

Next I have no phono in on pre-amp, I tried hooking TT through Tape and Aux, but sound is weak, at least I know I'm getting sound, but the speed was slow, so is the belt slipping?

The question, if I connect the TT phono outs to a Roxio Usb adaptor and then to Usb In on external dac, do you think I will get sound?

Where are you located?

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2019, 06:51 pm »
Where are you located?

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
 I have a second option, I have an old Yamaha receiver which I recall has phono in and my laptop which I can install the Roxio software and usb adaptor. But I still need a belt for Technics TT.

I wanted to use the main rig as I could do a much better job of recording with better equipment. Once I have a copy of Lp to cd I can elevate the recording to a higher standard with the main rig.

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2019, 07:40 pm »
But I still need a belt for Technics TT.

here you go ...............

https://www.lpgear.com/category/TB.html

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:09 pm »
We'll try to help you with anything you want to do, but why transfer to CD when you could put it all on one hard drive?

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2019, 01:17 pm »
We'll try to help you with anything you want to do, but why transfer to CD when you could put it all on one hard drive?

I had a hard drive crap out many years ago and I lost all the music. But I can transfer directly to a Usb stick, which is probably what I'll do. I transferred a couple albums several years ago Hair, Ventures (Hawaii Five-O, Pipeline) Liona Boyd- Persona, Love Story witch turned out pretty good. I had tears of joy in my eye when I played Hawaii Five-O on my main rig, it was so good.

Ordered two Technics Belts SL-23 yesterday so should be good to go when they arrive. 8)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2019, 04:38 pm »
You may already have it, but here's some info that might help in general -  https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-23.shtml

The LP Gear folks are good to deal with, picked up a couple of spare belts from them for my Thorens when I put it back in service a few years back. Have fun.  :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2019, 10:53 pm »
Update:
 Stopped by my local audio dealer to say hi, and ended up purchasing a small phono pre-amp with usb out.
So I'm almost ready to start recording Lp's. Got my belts for TT in the mail, so it should be a go with 4 days off next week.
 The problem is I have no rack space for TT so I was thinking of placing TT beside rack on stand. Problem with that is its right beside a speaker and I could get hum or vibration knocking needle out of the groove. Everything is crammed into my Audio Man Cave.

Anyway with the usb phono pre-amp I should have digital vinyl and I expect it to sound awesome. The sound pathway will be this: TT- phono pre-amp usb out- dac- processor dac- mixer- and/or professional cd recorder, amps- loudspeakers.

After albums are recorded to cd I can then convert them to digital audio files stored on usb sticks or hard drive.

Pretty nifty 'Eh?