Cryo CD tour - Observations...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Cryo CD tour - Observations...
« on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:15 pm »
Here is a chance for those that have done the tour to make some observations on the EXPERIENCE of the tour - NOT the results of that experience.  The rules here are simple - do not mention what disc is what, their numbers or anything else.   :nono:  Make this a thread about the listening experience and what that experience revealed to you about yourself, your biases or your system.

There are still a dozen victims out there waiting their turn on the tour, so speak carefully.

Dave

underdawg

• Industry Participant
Re: Cryo CD tour - Observations...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2013, 05:49 pm »
 I am glad a tour like this is going , if gives some of us access to stuff we never see because the rural areas we live in.I think we have a total of 5 audiophiles in our area - 3 work at the local hifi shop which we only have one now. I have not recieved the discs yet. I have sent a disc of my own to Dave for cryo and 2 other audiophiles locally listened to the set.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:19 pm »
It was definitely an interesting and educational experience for me.

This is an A/B/X test where you get to listen in your own environment. I won't get into any specifics at this point at all, as I don't want to imply anything with the careless use of a word or phrase.

I will say that I think I learned something about critical listening though.... It wasn't pure fun - in some ways it was work, but it was definitely worthwhile.

I would expect everybody who took part (takes part) in this will learn something about their systems and critical listening.

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:22 pm »
I'd like to thank Dave for this fun (for me anyway) adventure. It was a challenge and I enjoyed it. I didn't have to crawl around back and fish through the cables or plug and unplug anything to perform this experiment. Just sit back and listen. Guess being married for so long has taught me how to do that and keep my trap shut. Tho my wife acted put out to sit and listen to each of the tracks I had picked out, she did make comment to each disc and made positive remarks.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:55 am »
Yeah, a huge thanks to Dave! ... & to John for assisting!

I listened with my daughter Emma (13 years old) and she "nailed" it instantly on the "difference". I heard it the same way too but it took me several repeated evaluations (since I'm an enginerd) to confirm my hearing...

I also listened separately on my two systems and "things" sounded quite differently but with the same results...

For those who have not listened yet & are not familiar with this Pink Floyd CD, I suggest using Tracks 2,4, 10 & 11... these all have some different sonic goodies to evaluate and it may be easier to "listen / focus" with these suggested tracks.

My $0.02,
Pete

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2013, 02:14 am »
I could readily hear the difference on my system, and I definitely preferred one sound over the other. Enjoyed the album  :thumb: It was nice to finally hear it. Learned to trust my instincts as far as for evaluating equipment.

This is a dangerous thread Dave, I had to edit the above a dozen times to not trip a wire. Too early!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2013, 02:43 am »
I could readily hear the difference on my system, and I definitely preferred one sound over the other. Enjoyed the album  :thumb: It was nice to finally hear it. Learned to trust my instincts as far as for evaluating equipment.

This is a dangerous thread Dave, I had to edit the above a dozen times to not trip a wire. Too early!
Yep, hard not to give it all away.  It is very interesting as to the results that we are getting.  There are still about a dozen victims out there waiting to get out on the thin ice.

Skate on, everyone... skate on.

Oh, yeah.  You get the CD of your choice after all of this is over.  You were the instigator and should get a reward, don't you think?

:thumb:

Dave
Dave