Have You Heard Mono Extremes with JM Labs Speakers?

soundjudgement

Have You Heard Mono Extremes with JM Labs Speakers?
« on: 16 Mar 2006, 08:02 am »
Hi, Everyone.

I have been a fan of Odyssey Audio since I wandered by the Odyssey room at the CES show in San Francisco a few years ago. After hearing a lot of gear (some amazing :D ; some mediocre :scratch:  ; some downright terrible :shake: ), I was about to head home when I stumbled upon a small room at the hotel with about 10 people listening to a Stevie Ray Vaughan track. The sound was clear, sweet and amazingly musical. I was so impressed, I slid into an available chair and stayed. That demo was my first exposure to Odyssey Audio. I was so blown away by what I heard that, despite having no intentions of any buy gear, I bought a Stratos with a cap upgrade that night.  Since then, I have upgraded to the Mono Extremes and am happy to have done so. They are everything that everyone says they are. It was only after I bought the Odyssey Stratos that I came to find out about Odyssey's reputation for quality and value. I based my decision about the Stratos solely on the sound it produced that night. That's the best test I can think of. How about you?

But that leads to a question. Klaus always talks about synergies between pieces of audio gear. Some work well together; some don't. I recently sold my Dynaudio Contour 3.3s and am considering replacing them with JM Labs Electra 937 BEs.

The 3.3s sounded great with the Mono Extremes as those speakers are not especially efficient and need a lot of power to drive them properly. The 937s are a very different speaker. To my ears, the 937s have a much more open sound and better imaging. They are also more sensitive (93dB versus 89dB for the 3.3s). The 937s have a power rating of 200 watts versus 250 watts for the 3.3s.

Has anyone heard the Mono Extremes powering JM Labs Speakers?
What did you think of the combination?

I would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks for a great product, Klaus.

Happy listening,
Jim

:lol: