Curt, do you have a tubed DAC in the works!!!???

Marbles

« on: 9 Jan 2003, 03:37 pm »
Quote from: Curt
Tubes can be nice.

If you really want to hear an interesting combo, put the tubes in the DAC.

With the tubes in the DAC and a "Good" transparent SS LLC + amps you get the best of both worlds, the tube sound many people enjoy and absolute loudspeaker control with tight and acurate bass + extended highs (with power to spare).

This is something I myself will be playing with, a tube DAC  :)

Any comments Curt?  :o   8)   :mrgreen:

Curt

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2003, 04:03 pm »
Marbles,

It's been "in my head" for eight months or more, haunting me...

I think this is where (in the front end) you can get the best results with tubes. The only other consideration is not to get to clipping with the SS amp (which would ruin everything gained)  then you can possibly get the best of both worlds.

I do agree with the tube guys that magic can happen with tubes but, it's usually at some performance loss expense. The mid-range usually shines and other areas have problems.

It would be nice to optimise a tube system for minimum performance loss, a good tube DAC may be the ticket.

The other benifit is now any loudspeakers can be used, not just high efficency models.

I'm doing some R&D when I can (pretty busy here) but,  it's not at a point where we can talk.

Guan

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2003, 04:21 pm »
Hi Curt,

I've been listening to my tube based system today and I must say I am shocked by the excellent sound quality. Superb resolution, clean deep bass, voices right out in the room and musical to boot. No, I am not talking about my usual Mesa Baron tube amp, in fact I've not missed the tube amp at all! :o

I have been using Jay's mb-100 in my system to drive Norh Mini-9.0 via a CR Developments Kastor tube preamp. Now I have used the mb-100 in my system earlier but it definitely didn't sound like this before. Why the change? The DeZorel AR Senior ac filter. My impression is that it allowed the mb-100 to perform to its full potential, and what a prodigious level that is!

I'll be getting back my tube DAC with a DACT stepped attenuator soon. It should sound great with the mb-100. :D

Cheers,

Guan

Curt

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2003, 04:38 pm »
Hi Guan,

Interesting story. Were you using the same preamp with the MB-100s before installing the DeZorel AR Senior ac filter? Is the only difference the new filter?

Or maybe the preamp, if it is different also, has effected the sound too?

I'm very interested in your reply. Thanks for your post.

Guan

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2003, 12:25 am »
Hello Curt,

Yes, I've been using the same pre-amp throughout. When I used the mb-100 before the DeZorel came into the picture, it sounded pleasant and musical but also a little flat and 2-dimensional with less air and high frequency detail compared to my tube amp. So imagine my surprise when I tried it out again yesterday and experienced detail, bloom, depth, stunning dynamics and 3-D images! :o

I listened for 3 - 4 hours and got the uncomfortable feeling that this was one of the best sounds I've heard yet from my system! I finally copped out and reconnected the Baron amp. I hope to have time to make some comparisons today and although the truth is out there I may not be able to bear it if mb-100 performs as well as if not better than my upgraded Baron (list $4500)!  :P

Getting back to the story, before getting the DeZorel I installed a new 15A ac line for my system direct from the breaker box using Supra LoRad mains cable. This helped in lowering the noise floor and there was some useful gains in detail. Pure silver speaker cable from SlinkyLinks and Silver Stealth Ag/Au digital and analogue ic's have also made a significant improvement in transparency and getting out of the way of the electronics. I thought that after this what more can an ac filter do? In fact the effect of plugging the mb-100 direct into the wall sockets is not bad. A very detailed presentation but I also heard more grain and grunge and slight edginess. My wife commented on music having a 'mechanical' feel.

IMO the DeZorel has the effect of lifting the resolution of ALL the components in my system. The effect is perhaps best described as music having a much more liquid flow, musicality and cohesiveness. Plus an improvement to all the hifi terms like depth, air around instruments etc etc.

Anyway, if the mb-100 sounds like this, I'll be interested in the mb-250 as I'm sure it's going to be stunning 8). If my experience with the mb-100 is anything to go by, you just have to hear it with a DeZorel filter to discover its FULL potential!

Best regards,

Guan

Curt

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2003, 06:17 pm »
Guan,

Thanks, Hmmm... I'll take a look at the DeZorel filter and see what all this magic is about.

Probably inproves the SNR by lowering the noise floor which can make quite a difference in areas that have noise. I've noticed lower noise greatly improves imaging.  

enjoy.

Jay S

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2003, 01:16 am »
I will bet that the MB100s/LeAmps + a tubed dac will sound magical if both are connected to a quality power filter like the DeZoral.  The amps sounded wonderful in my system with the tubed CD-1 with NOS tubes upstream (the tubes adding fullness and 3D depth to the sound), what more with a DeZoral to reduce the noise floor.  

Guan, I will have to accept your invite to drop by your place to listen to the MB100s in your system!  I am in town until at least Sunday night.  :D

Guan

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2003, 01:43 am »
Hi,

Curt: There is a suggestion by DVV on the thread "Why do amps sound different" over at the Audio Circle section that the DeZorel not only lowers the noise floor but also helps make an amp's power supplies more efficient which can only contribute to the sound.

Jay: Welcome, welcome! A second opinion would be great and also to make sure I'm not just hearing things! :wink:

Guan