Wywires Speaker Cables v2

Gopher

Wywires Speaker Cables v2
« on: 4 Aug 2011, 04:16 pm »
As the subject indicates, Alex is at it again and has improved upon his speaker cables.  Once again, I was fortunate enough to get to demo a pair to help determine whether or not this revision is ready for prime time...    The answer to that is a resounding YES.

I have been impressed with each of Alex’s efforts, but truth be told, in a couple of instances (Hot Sauce IC vs. V2 and Juice vs. Juice 2) I have found myself slightly preferring the earlier efforts.  That is NOT the case with these new speaker cables.

While the old speaker cables are extremely competent and great sounding wire, so far I’m finding the latest effort to be appreciably better in most categories, outrageously better in some.

I’m not going to do a full out review, but some of the differences I’ve noted are that bass is deeper and more impactful—significantly so.  Listening to Gil Scott Herron’s the Crutch, I can feel the impact in my chest.

Stage width is improved from what I’d previously been hearing which is wonderful—since my amp change it was one area that left me wanting just a bit.

The presentation top to bottom is significantly more neutral.  It’s a pretty different sound than I’d grown accustom to—but I am liking it.  By comparison there was almost a light romantic haze before whereas these seem a bit more transparent.

These are more linear reaching higher as well than the pervious speaker cables.  At first I was concerned that the top end might be just a smidgeon on the hot side, but over the course of a weeks listening it has settled nicely and is more detailed, yet equally delicate and non-fatiguing.

So far the changes I’m noting are almost all positive.  It has only been a couple of weeks so far so I will be updating this post if it continues to change with time.

My understanding is that when Alex releases a new cable, he still makes the predecessors available.  For any potential customers on the fence over speaker wires, I strongly suggest that you go with the new revision. 

I'm not sure what forum to stick this in as its not a formal review, so mods, feel free to move it.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Wywires Speaker Cables v2
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2011, 04:38 pm »
Sounds good Gopher Thanks!!!!

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2011, 12:37 am »
Looking forward to further thoughts.
I will add some also.

D

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:04 pm »
Did you have some thoughts of your own, Den? 

It is lonely being the only one to hear 'em   :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:54 pm »
Fred,
 Nice write-up. :thumb:

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:03 pm »
The biggest indication of how well something sounds is when you remove it for a period of time. In this case one week. I'm very glad the WyWire SC's are back in the system and performing still better than the original v1's. I have more than 10 hours on them now.

First thing noticed is a presence to the flow of the music that adds even more of a that real feeling and great instrument timbre. Black, quiet, background, yes, but a roundness to the players that I call a 3D presence. More width and more depth there too. All of Alex's WyWires never fail to convey these feelings and I'm getting more of these emotions. They collectively never go overboard which amazes me, and I don't see how you can put any of these cables in any system and not sound extremely nice and an improvement.

Some specifics to my system, more bass on Digital, on Vinyl I''ll call it punch. A sound that is
balanced top to bottom, while nothing calls attention to itself. No glare, ringing or boom of any kind, my system is very smooth anyway. Detail and feelings are all there.
I get a feeling of background detail coming forward, more noticeable, but not upsetting anything that would be unnatural to the central image. It can be tough getting this on vinyl. I have done a lot of work $$ in my vinyl area the last 6 months. I would not change anything.

We get to a point in our systems where we are after this elusive stirring, involving, emotion, that adds to not creating any boredom. You will know it when you hear it. It has never happened here until I changed equipment and started using the WyWires last year.
An all Wywire system is excellent!!

I do have a LITESPD digital cable I will trying also. More later, waiting on da Schiit.

Alex, THANK YOU!!

D

Speakers- v2 Speaker Cables
Raysonic 128 CD- v1 Juice PC, V1, HS interconnects (I do prefer the v1's here)
Rega P5 Turntable/Jasmine Phono - v2 Juice PC, v2 Interconnects
Pathos- v1 Juice PC

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:09 pm »

I do have a LITESPD digital cable I will trying also. More later.

I found this to be THE cable to use.  Perhaps I will spend much more moola some day to see if I can better it.

highfilter

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:14 pm »
An all Wywire system is excellent!!

Indeed! I've been so impressed with a complete WyWires setup. I'll also be interested to try his new premium speaker cable, with Bybee Gold Quantum Purifiers in them. I believe he is running them through their paces right now to see what he's working with and it sounds like he likes them.  :thumb:

wywires

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:06 pm »
Indeed! I've been so impressed with a complete WyWires setup. I'll also be interested to try his new premium speaker cable, with Bybee Gold Quantum Purifiers in them. I believe he is running them through their paces right now to see what he's working with and it sounds like he likes them.  :thumb:

Regarding the Bybee's, I still need at least two months before the first prototypes are available for beta. The biggest challenge is in packaging since they are fragile and we need a way to make them bullet proof. The little suckers are EXPENSIVE and the packaging will add $$ to that cost. The fully packaged Bybee Speaker Bullets run $5K for a set. My plan is to offer speaker cables incorporating the Bybee QP's for less than that. So far, the effect is astonishing at least in my system.

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:12 pm »
Well, I can touch everyone now in the sound stage,  I guess we'll be able to smell them too? :wtf:

Great progress Alex, carry on.

D

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:43 pm »
Cool findings, Den.  Seems like our findings were quite similar.  The width, depth and bass were the huge things for me which my rig actually needed as I've been running an amp direct without a preamp.  The v2 speaker cables made things niiice. 

Exciting stuff, Alex.  I'll be listening to a buddy's Bybee Power Purifier in my rig in the near future--I don't really understand Bybees devices, but your comments piqued my curiosity.  His reports of what the purifier does are very much glowing.

wywires

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:56 pm »
Cool findings, Den.  Seems like our findings were quite similar.  The width, depth and bass were the huge things for me which my rig actually needed as I've been running an amp direct without a preamp.  The v2 speaker cables made things niiice. 

Exciting stuff, Alex.  I'll be listening to a buddy's Bybee Power Purifier in my rig in the near future--I don't really understand Bybees devices, but your comments piqued my curiosity.  His reports of what the purifier does are very much glowing.

Nobody really understands how or why they work except Jack Bybee and a few people at the NSA. Much of the underlying research is still classified. This was originally developed for the US Navy to improve the resolution of sonar images. As Jack told me, the Navy needed to be able to hear a guppy fart from 5 miles away. The QP's are a cylinder with a vary large number of carbon nanotubes and somehow the electromagnetically induced noise is filtered out leaving just the original signal.

Gopher

« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:51 pm »
I have been meaning to mention this for a while, but I have had very little time for audio in the last couple of weeks.

I had an unusual finding with these speaker cables which some may scoff at, but I know I am not alone in noticing this.

After running them for about two weeks, I found I PREFER running them 'backwards'  that is, the opposite direction they were burned in and cooked by Alex.

Its yielded a smoother more relaxed presentation while still offering up the improvements over the prior version, just more effortless and without any edge--anyone buyers/auditioners, be sure to try it both ways!

How are the Bybee experiments going, Alex?

bacobits1

« Reply #13 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:57 pm »
I had mentioned this to Fred. I too run them backwards from the way Alex burned them in.
For the same reasons. Now I have to try the Bi-wire elimination trick of running the + on the woofers and the - on the tweeters and the opposite to see if I hear a difference.

I know from experience with the cable cooker speaker cables can be stubborn on break-in. Kimber 8TC would take a week of burning even after years of use. But WyWires do not have the same stubborn Teflon involved. Alex uses cotton. ?????

D

wywires

« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2011, 03:02 pm »
Regarding the issue of running the speaker cables in the opposite direction from burn in, I have no useful information to offer up :scratch: Maybe that particular wire combo doesn't respond well to the cable cooker.

I've had the Bybee Quantum purifiers soldered into the speaker cables between the EAR 534 amp to the Marten Form speakers for about a month and they are fully broken in. I think that the Bybee's improve things across the board but the improvements are somewhat less than jaw dropping, albeit significant, at least in my system. I think that clarity had improved along with soundstage size and LF slam. The biggest changes I noticed are in the purity and emotion in vocals as well as image focus. The Bybee QP's seem to remove a layer of something, thus allowing a cleaner signal to come through. Last night, I was listening to Billie Holiday's "Songs for Distingue Lovers" on LP. What struck me most of all was the strong feeling that Billie was smiling during many of her vocal passages. I had never heard that before, having played that particular LP many times. On Diana Krall's "Girl in the Other Room" LP, on the opening track, Peter Erskine's cymbal play was was very well resolved. Before, I was not able to clearly discern the fact that he uses a "sizzler" cymbal (a cymbal with loose rivets around the diameter) even though I know that is what he uses having seen him play several times. With the Bybees, the sizzler became "obvious". On "Jazz at the Pawnshop" CD, the big change was in the very much improved ambient noise of the club and the audience chattering away throughout. They never shut up, how rude. Without the Bybee's the audience was much more polite and respectful of the musicians, I thought.

Right now, I'm working on packaging for the QP's. I've settled on a wood enclosure that will be at the speaker end of the cable with pigtails coming out of the box.