BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

R. Daneel

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1420 on: 7 Apr 2019, 08:24 am »
It’s on my radar I just need to submit the paper work to get a retail price, it’ll probably be around $200-$300 for one rear facing USB 3.0 port.

Hi Chris!

Okay, thanks!

Would I be able to install it myself or would it require sending the machine in?

Cheers!
Antun

MoPac

« Reply #1421 on: 30 Apr 2019, 02:11 pm »
   BDP-2   S2.40 2019-04-08
Chris:
 Moved the BDP-2 to another loacation in the LAN.  When I did so the IP Address must have changed because the Moose would not open.  Looked in my router settings for "bryston-bdp-2".  It was there under Online Devices with a different IP Address.  Tried to reserve the IP Address to the former one used before the move at which point got the message "IP Address used by another device".

Looking under Offline Devices in the router settings I found a device called localhost with a MAC address different by only the last character.  The Reserved IP address for that Offline Device was the old IP used before the BDP was moved.  Changed the URL in all my devices to the new IP Address for the Online Devices / bryston-bdp-2.

What is localhost?  Could it be one of the Dashboard / Services server settings which I am no longer using?

Thanks.  Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1422 on: 30 Apr 2019, 03:59 pm »
   BDP-2   S2.40 2019-04-08
Chris:
 Moved the BDP-2 to another loacation in the LAN.  When I did so the IP Address must have changed because the Moose would not open.  Looked in my router settings for "bryston-bdp-2".  It was there under Online Devices with a different IP Address.  Tried to reserve the IP Address to the former one used before the move at which point got the message "IP Address used by another device".

Looking under Offline Devices in the router settings I found a device called localhost with a MAC address different by only the last character.  The Reserved IP address for that Offline Device was the old IP used before the BDP was moved.  Changed the URL in all my devices to the new IP Address for the Online Devices / bryston-bdp-2.

What is localhost?  Could it be one of the Dashboard / Services server settings which I am no longer using?

Thanks.  Rich

Hi Rich,

The BDP-2 has two network interfaces, sounds like you're using the other network interface which would have a different mac address and the difference would be the very last value.  Try just switching the network cable between the Ethernet interfaces and restart the BDP.

Chris

MoPac

« Reply #1423 on: 30 Apr 2019, 04:54 pm »
Chris:
  Thanks for the prompt reply.  Yes. When I moved the BDP I plugged into the other Ethernet port.  All is well now.

Thanks. Rich

Mitch65

« Reply #1424 on: 2 May 2019, 05:56 am »
Hi

I received a BDP-1 yesterday to link up with a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC. I was under the impression that it could connect via USB but after a lot of rebooting, etc. It fails to connect. In MM under output devices it does not see the DAC only spdif and AES outputs. I have ordered a bnc adapter to use with a digital rca I have lying around but ideally I would still like the option to use the USB.

I’ve looked through most of the 72 pages and there has been some mention of this, wondering if it’s a compatibility issue but if anyone has any ideas? It is running the latest firmware.

Greg

strayngs

« Reply #1425 on: 5 May 2019, 03:36 pm »
I have just purchased a used bdp1. I will get it on Friday. So excited as I have been using a refurbished Laptop from like 2010 (which I hate) via usb to my M2Tech Young MK1. My question is, I have read it is a good idea to do a factory reset to get a from scratch version of the bdp when buying used. Will this erase the version of the bdp to an older version? I am not the best with computers. I have no idea what the current version is on the bdp, but if it is a newer version, I would rather not erase it and have to update the player. I am a little apprehensive about upgrading as I see so many people have problems when upgrading. Thanks

docder

« Reply #1426 on: 5 May 2019, 07:13 pm »
Hi

I received a BDP-1 yesterday to link up with a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC. I was under the impression that it could connect via USB but after a lot of rebooting, etc. It fails to connect. In MM under output devices it does not see the DAC only spdif and AES outputs. I have ordered a bnc adapter to use with a digital rca I have lying around but ideally I would still like the option to use the USB.

I’ve looked through most of the 72 pages and there has been some mention of this, wondering if it’s a compatibility issue but if anyone has any ideas? It is running the latest firmware.

Greg

Hello Greg,

Have you tried connecting the DAC to different USB ports on the BDP?

Mitch65

« Reply #1427 on: 6 May 2019, 06:26 am »
Hi

Just reverted back to my laptop via USB and it looks the issue may be my two week old DAC as it now cannot see that either so there you go. I will be getting a spare USB lead later just to check it’s not that before calling the supplying dealer and embarrassing myself.....much rather do that on a forum ;)

Thanks

Greg

docder

« Reply #1428 on: 6 May 2019, 11:47 am »
Let's hope it is the USB cable, a lot easier that way. I usually keep a punch of them handy just in case I muck one up. Post back on how it goes when you have a chance.

I have used a good range of DACs with a BDP-1 and all have been successful. All the USB ports should feed a DAC but there have been times when I have had to move a DAC from one USB port to other before it was recognised.

Mitch65

« Reply #1429 on: 6 May 2019, 04:27 pm »
Let's hope it is the USB cable, a lot easier that way. I usually keep a punch of them handy just in case I muck one up. Post back on how it goes when you have a chance.

I have used a good range of DACs with a BDP-1 and all have been successful. All the USB ports should feed a DAC but there have been times when I have had to move a DAC from one USB port to other before it was recognised.
Well, this is getting stranger. BDP-1 now recognises the DAC in the audio devices along with the aes and spdif. Only issue now is that it refuses to play anything, I would press play and the song would hold on pause. If I revert to spdif it plays fine. I have disabled both aes and spdif leaving USB only ticked so there should be no conflict but this makes no difference.

docder

« Reply #1430 on: 6 May 2019, 07:38 pm »
When USB DAC is showing in Audio Devices is it red? If so, you need to activate the Restart button beneath the list of devices.

The enable tick refers to the device's ability to play DSD - see Manic Moose Manual [Firmware Users Manual] p15.

Do you have MPD running or is playback set to Roon or in rendering mode? Playback modes are selectable in Dashboard - Services. It is when using MDP that both USB and SPDIF/AES are available at the same time. In other playback modes only one of USB or SPDIF/AES transmits. I think this depends on which the BDP recognises first when you power up.
Chris/Incognito is the expert on this. Perhaps he will respond.
Hope this helps.

docder

« Reply #1431 on: 6 May 2019, 07:42 pm »
Also, what are you attempting to playback? Is it a local file? Tidal? Qobuz?  Local file would be best at this stage. On the BDP-1 Tidal/Qobuz can take a moment to load up.

docder

« Reply #1432 on: 6 May 2019, 07:44 pm »
Ah, forget that last question. I see you have had good playback from SPDIF.

Mitch65

« Reply #1433 on: 6 May 2019, 08:00 pm »
When USB DAC is showing in Audio Devices is it red? If so, you need to activate the Restart button beneath the list of devices.

The enable tick refers to the device's ability to play DSD - see Manic Moose Manual [Firmware Users Manual] p15.

Do you have MPD running or is playback set to Roon or in rendering mode? Playback modes are selectable in Dashboard - Services. It is when using MDP that both USB and SPDIF/AES are available at the same time. In other playback modes only one of USB or SPDIF/AES transmits. I think this depends on which the BDP recognises first when you power up.
Chris/Incognito is the expert on this. Perhaps he will respond.
Hope this helps.
A couple of times it showed red and I did restart but mostly white
I have been using mpd trying both local and Tidal
Yes, both are available when mdp is being used, thankfully no Roon, that would asking too much at the moment lol!

docder

« Reply #1434 on: 6 May 2019, 09:03 pm »
This is odd. When an audio file is playing you should be getting the audio through all three outputs at the same time. You should have audio going to the DAC via USB as well as SPDIF. Is there a way of isolating the USB input/output of the DAC? Disconnect the SPDIF cable from the BDP to DAC  - is USB input then active to/from DAC?
It can be a bit of a puzzle at first to get this right, I remember a few puzzled headaches until it all became obvious.

Mitch65

« Reply #1435 on: 7 May 2019, 03:40 pm »
This is odd. When an audio file is playing you should be getting the audio through all three outputs at the same time. You should have audio going to the DAC via USB as well as SPDIF. Is there a way of isolating the USB input/output of the DAC? Disconnect the SPDIF cable from the BDP to DAC  - is USB input then active to/from DAC?
It can be a bit of a puzzle at first to get this right, I remember a few puzzled headaches until it all became obvious.
Well it looks like I may have the solution. When reverting back to my laptop the DAC did not initially see it until I rebooted the DAC. It seems that the plug and play element of the USB input has gone a bit haywire. I even tried to reinstall the USB driver onto the laptop but, again, I had to reboot the DAC to get the driver installed

artur9

« Reply #1436 on: 8 May 2019, 04:08 pm »
I have just purchased a used bdp1. ... I would rather not erase it and have to update the player. I am a little apprehensive about upgrading as I see so many people have problems when upgrading. Thanks
Congrats, my BDP-1 is one of the jewels of my system.

I also got it used and did the whole reset thing.  It was pretty painless and the upgrade process is also very painless.

Only thing to be concerned about (at a very very very low level) is the card that holds the software.  Support here has been great so rely on it.

docder

« Reply #1437 on: 8 May 2019, 07:27 pm »
I have just purchased a used bdp1. I will get it on Friday. So excited as I have been using a refurbished Laptop from like 2010 (which I hate) via usb to my M2Tech Young MK1. My question is, I have read it is a good idea to do a factory reset to get a from scratch version of the bdp when buying used. Will this erase the version of the bdp to an older version? I am not the best with computers. I have no idea what the current version is on the bdp, but if it is a newer version, I would rather not erase it and have to update the player. I am a little apprehensive about upgrading as I see so many people have problems when upgrading. Thanks

When I purchased a used BDP the MPD was full of references to the previous owners files but once I attached my own drives, reset the data base and restarted the BDP a couple of times, all the previous owners info disappeared. I did not do a factory reset.

Updating firmware is an easy task. Select Update Firmware in Dashboard and click Update.
You can check your currently installed firmware in Dashboard/System - it is the top line in the right hand information box

Mitch65

« Reply #1438 on: 9 May 2019, 04:31 am »
When I purchased a used BDP the MPD was full of references to the previous owners files but once I attached my own drives, reset the data base and restarted the BDP a couple of times, all the previous owners info disappeared. I did not do a factory reset.

Updating firmware is an easy task. Select Update Firmware in Dashboard and click Update.
You can check your currently installed firmware in Dashboard/System - it is the top line in the right hand information box
Have to admit that I was expecting it to be a pain to setup for some reason but, in truth, my issues lay elsewhere. Firmware update was really easy, I was lucky and bought from a dealer who cleared any references to the previous owner for me.

zoom25

« Reply #1439 on: 9 May 2019, 10:42 pm »
Is there a limit on the size of a singular or multiple NAS drive ('X' TB?) that the BDP-1 can read and add? I have the Bryston database disabled. I am only asking if there's a limit on how many files/folders can be added to Manic Moose's sidebar folder view. Thanks!