65W Flood Light Bulbs Needed

wgscott

Re: 65W Flood Light Bulbs Needed
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2014, 03:32 am »
PAR is micromoles of photons per square meter per second, (usually applied to photosynthetically-active visible light).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:12 am »
I imagine that some day the Halogen filled incandescents will also be banned, and then all we will have is LED or fluorescents to choose from.

Yeah, they're only 28% more efficient that normal incandescent.  Really with all the choices its a great time to buy light bulbs.  Try one (CFL/LED) and if you don't like it, move it to a closet and try again.

You're not getting nostalgic on us are you?  Don't tell me you have whale oil or coal gas lamps in your house.   :wink:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #22 on: 19 Feb 2014, 02:44 pm »
Ha! Good one JLM.... :D. No, I'm not going nostalgic on you man. We don't burn candles over here either.

It's just that I have tried living with a few different brands of fluorescent lights (only one LED) and I don't really like them. They're ok in the garage, or in that one "leave a light burning" location, but that's about it.

My vision is really deteriorating and I just feel more comfortable in the warm glow of the old fashion light bulb. Oh well, such is life.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #23 on: 19 Feb 2014, 02:47 pm »
Hmmm...... That did sound like nostalgia. I better work on that!

Darn it.

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2014, 03:04 pm »
Ha! Good one JLM.... :D. No, I'm not going nostalgic on you man. We don't burn candles over here either.

It's just that I have tried living with a few different brands of fluorescent lights (only one LED) and I don't really like them. They're ok in the garage, or in that one "leave a light burning" location, but that's about it.

My vision is really deteriorating and I just feel more comfortable in the warm glow of the old fashion light bulb. Oh well, such is life.

If you saw the color rendition of my LEDs, you would not know the difference. 2700° K is the ticket, nice and warm color. (Use the same K° for CFLs).

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:09 pm »
Unless you plan on ordering all of your lamps online, the fact is you are going to be limited to the resources at hand in your local community. While we could go on and on about Kelvin temperature and CRI, and if you're really anal and need to have both match, the fact is, you probably aren't going to find a particular lamp shape, lamp diameter, base to lens distance, Kelvin temperature and CRI, let alone the particular lumen level your are looking for. It's just too many choices and most stores will carry only what is popular, and those lamps are basically popular because of ignorance about the whole lighting thing.

So, maybe there are a few do's and don'ts that certainly will come into play as most of us "refit" our homes with new lighting sources.

I guess the first one is to pick the lamp lumens output (and I'll use watts here to keep it simple) that best meets the needs. You all know that. So that means it doesn't make sense to buy a 60 watt lamp if you plan on dimming it down 60%. Then you might as well get a 40 watt.

It probably is a bad idea to mix lighting sources in a room where both sources will be on at the same time, like mixing LEDs with CFLs or Inc. If you pay attention to the Kelvin temperature and the color rendition index, you should have a great mix, but if you plan on dimming some of them, all bets are off.

The other thing that comes to mind right now is to be cost weary. While some manufacturers claim huge hours on some of these lamps, the truth lies elsewhere. Depends where the lamp is used, what position it is in and if it's dimmed, also, how many times during the night its turned on and off.

Wayner

bnut311

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm »
PAR is micromoles of photons per square meter per second, (usually applied to photosynthetically-active visible light).
What are you talking about?