Imac not Recognizing my usb dac

kbuzz3

Imac not Recognizing my usb dac
« on: 27 Aug 2018, 03:34 pm »
My desktop mac has difficulty recognizing my Ifi usb dac.  It has no issue with my schditt dac...ive tried swapping usb ports and restarting both cpu and dac...anyone have anyone thoughts..thanks

zoom25

Re: Imac not Recognizing my usb dac
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2018, 03:51 pm »
Does the DAC show up under System Preferences -> Sound -> Output?

You may have to manually select it.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2018, 04:54 pm »
Have you tried using a different USB cable - perhaps a shorter one?

I've got a Schiit Lyr3 that was suffering connection difficulties. Initially, it was because the Lyr3 is picky about what sort of USB cable is used. Audiophile USB cables apparently don't work. I fixed that by purchasing a cheapo 1 meter USB cable. After about one month, my Mac Mini's 4 USB connections stopped recognizing the Lyr3. WTH? I still haven't figured out why this is.

Luckily, I have a backup IMAC (I'm using it now). The Lyr3 has no problem being recognized by my IMAC.

Perhaps, the Schiit DAC is an energy vampire that sucked the life out of my Mac Mini?  :roll:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2018, 05:13 pm »
My guess is what Zoom mentions, almost every time I switch in a new dac I have to go it to systems and select it.

I'm using Audirvana so it may not me the same for you.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2018, 05:35 pm »
I had one DAC that my Mac didn't see unless it was connected and powered up when the computer booted. What version OS is on the Mac?

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have checked my source output in the sound preferences.  Im suspecting it may be the long usb cable im using to go across the room. The mac version is el capitan 10.11.6

avta

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:12 pm »
Have you tried a powered usb hub?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2018, 11:25 am »
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have checked my source output in the sound preferences.  Im suspecting it may be the long usb cable im using to go across the room. The mac version is el capitan 10.11.6

I reviewed nine longer cables (6 - 15 feet) a couple of years back (see equipment review circle) and found some just plain didn't work and some only worked either with my iMac or only one jack from my MacBook.  15 feet is supposed limit for USB.  I state 'supposed' because I also run a 35 foot long $6 optical cable from the iMac on the desktop occasionally and it works fine (but isn't supposed to be able to).