M3 Sapphires Arrive Today

jjss49

Re: M3 Sapphires Arrive Today
« Reply #40 on: 8 Nov 2020, 09:51 pm »
definitely a big change at the 50-55 hr mark... as i reported above i am breaking in fairly aggressively

have very clean very high power hegel amp running a tidal hip hop pool party music playlist on repeat via a sonnet morpheus -- at a level a good bit higher than i would ever listen to in my well treated 16x18 listening room, i shut the door, go watch tv upstairs, ignore the boomboom etc etc

wrote clayton an email saying i hope these guys will still remember how to play calmer, classier more adult music than what their steady diet has been since they were born LOL

still getting some unwanted edge and glassiness in lower treble on transients, bass definitely getting fuller fuller more air ambience, very cool to hear the positive changes

the instruction guide states clearly, 'major improvements first 50-100 hrs, gradual continuing improvements up to 400 hrs depending on content and loudness'... it is spot on in my case, lower end of the range...

tonight i will play with placement, spikes/back tilt, start to optimize set up

bbybaudio

« Reply #41 on: 8 Nov 2020, 09:51 pm »
To vistablue regarding break-in. Shakeydeal owned the X3s and I own the X5s. We both felt that after the first 100 hrs we heard the the most dramatic improvement. However, we also both found the X series speakers continued to improve well out into the 300 hr range. This may vary depending on how high you have the subwoofer amp set. For example, Don Sachs reports he cranked the subwoofer amp up to max to facilitate subwoofer break-in.

VistaBlue

« Reply #42 on: 8 Nov 2020, 10:34 pm »
100-300/400 hours is helpful to know, particularly insofar as evaluation during the 60 day trial period.

For me, 300 hours would arrive on day 50 assuming playing 6 hrs/day.

jjss49

« Reply #43 on: 10 Nov 2020, 10:54 pm »
update --

at about the 75-80 hr mark now... really taking shape

bass even richer more full-fat so to speak, luscious but fast full of air/ambiance... wow!!!!

still working on that bit of lower treble hardness and a touch of glare at the leading edge of female vocals, especially as the as the signal surges to a higher volume transient

hope that will totally smooth out in the next week or so

VistaBlue

« Reply #44 on: 11 Nov 2020, 12:48 pm »
still working on that bit of lower treble hardness and a touch of glare at the leading edge of female vocals, especially as the as the signal surges to a higher volume transient

What about upper register, trumpet or piano forte notes? Hardness, glare or distortion?

jjss49

« Reply #45 on: 12 Nov 2020, 04:06 pm »
just a touch of glare still, mostly on transients, just a little sibilant

getting better and better little by little day by day

setup:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171006.80  - page 5 near bottom

Wig

« Reply #46 on: 26 Nov 2020, 07:16 pm »
Guys,

Just curious how prone these M3s are in being tipped over or falling forward on their face? Hearing many great things
about them but with kids wasn't sure how easy it would be to push them over if they were bumped.

Thanks,
Wig

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #47 on: 26 Nov 2020, 07:35 pm »
Guys,

Just curious how prone these M3s are in being tipped over or falling forward on their face? Hearing many great things
about them but with kids wasn't sure how easy it would be to push them over if they were bumped.

Thanks,
Wig
I have my M3’s on Isoacoustic Gaia II’s on a pine board hard wood floor. If you bump them they will rock back and forth. My Lab hasn’t knocked them over.  :nono: My M3’s are the first generation without the crossover and the tilt back which I would assume is more stabil

Wig

« Reply #48 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:07 am »

Thanks Audiosaurusrex!

Wig :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #49 on: 27 Nov 2020, 04:34 pm »
Guys,

Thanks,
Wig

Wig,

M5 Sapphires. The latest model has a "not-crossover"* box mounted on the base that adds some counterweight. The front spikes are also longer than the single rear spike. That gives some backward tilt to the baffles. I just gave mine a couple of good pushes at the top and they did not fall over.

I am using the factory spikes because I don't know how to use GAIAs on the speakers because of the two different spike lengths. I do not think there is enough adjustment in the GAIAs to make up the needed height difference. Perhaps someone with experience can comment.

*not-crossover box because I don't know what else to call it. The box contains capacitors and an inductor but Clayton says it is not a crossover.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2020, 06:59 pm by Don_S »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:07 pm »
My Gaia's are like suction cups to my laminate floor and require a deliberate tilt to un-suck them. So they're practically glued down! Of course I also have powered woofers which adds even more weight down low. Probably the most tip-resistance speakers I have owned.

Wig

« Reply #51 on: 27 Nov 2020, 06:25 pm »
@ Don_S
@ Big Red Machine

Thanks for your responses.

sockpit

« Reply #52 on: 27 Nov 2020, 06:48 pm »
I can add another.  My M5s are the original design with the cast iron L-support in back, instead of the box on a platform.

When I first got them, I had the short spikes on a thick carpet. The left one was near my amp, etc.  I had been crouching down fiddling with cables and when I stood up, I accidentally backed into and bumped the speaker, but not terribly hard.  It quickly surpassed its center of gravity and once that happens, a direct face plant into the carpeting is inevitable.  Damage?  The uniwave tweeter was dented upon impact. Otherwise I lucked out.

I felt stupid, of course.  Emailed Clayton about it.  He advised I use the longer spikes.  He also replaced the tweeter in a very, very generous manner.  They are very easy to swap out. Now that’s customer service! 

I’m telling you because I would have some worries about these heavy vertical panels around small children, or rambunctious dogs.  I’ve even placed a large paver stone on each L-brace in case I bump them again or a California tremor decides to make things interesting.  Not trying to scare you off at all.  Just think about setup possibilities that would minimize the risk of your kids getting into trouble and hurting themselves or your stellar speakers

sockpit

« Reply #53 on: 27 Nov 2020, 06:52 pm »

Wig

« Reply #54 on: 28 Nov 2020, 07:50 am »
@ sockpit

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Grahamps

« Reply #55 on: 8 Dec 2020, 03:14 am »
My M3 Sapphires in Cherry arrived today. I only had time to put one together, and get the speaker cable off the little monitor that's hidden from view so that I could get a glimpse of where things are headed. I just came home after playing live Grateful Dead through the one speaker for 3.5 hours. Clearly, this is gonna be great!

Grahamps

« Reply #56 on: 13 Jan 2021, 01:36 am »
Perhaps someone with experience can comment.
Don_S, for my 3 spikes, I ordered matching Grunge Buster washers from Bernie's Audio. The washers give a good surface to help lock the spike components. My M3 Sapphires make me want to party every day!

Don_S

« Reply #57 on: 13 May 2021, 04:55 pm »
Refresher course needed here. Moving speakers.

For M5 Sapphires on hard floors is the configuration short tips on discs in front and adhesive pads in back?

Thanks.