Gamecube

MaxCast

Gamecube
« on: 10 Dec 2005, 12:09 pm »
Just found out the kids (6, 3, and minus 3 weeks) are getting a gamecube for Christmas.  Not the most popular, but I'm sure I'll be up late playing some games.

My question is, If you see a game with different releases, like I, II or III, do you have to start with the first one to understand the game??

The kids will be wanting NASCAR and Star Wars games and I will be looking for a couple shoot-em-up games.  Any recommendations?

Any recommendations on game review sites?

Thanks for the help
Merry Xbox,

mca

Gamecube
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2005, 04:46 pm »
Check these sites for reviews:

www.ign.com

www.gamespot.com

www.gamerankings.com

When I had the Cube, I played a lot of Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4. Probably two of the best "adult" games on that console.

mcrespo71

Gamecube
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2005, 05:10 pm »
If you want a straight FPS, I think timesplitters is pretty good.  However, the Metroid Prime games are tremendous.  Another game I've spent a lot of time with has been Viewtiful Joe, which is like a platformer on steroids.

Michael

MaxCast

Gamecube
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2005, 05:32 pm »
found gamespot....think we could have user review ratings like that for audio gear :?:   maybe not.

Thanks for the links and game suggestions.

bubba966

Gamecube
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2005, 07:19 pm »
No, you don't really have to start with the first of a series to understand it.

Though the later installments aren't always better. Take Super Monkey Ball for instance. The first one was great. Got lots of use out of that one. But Super Monkey Ball 2 sucked.

You might want to give Mario Kart Double Dash a look for a racing game.

mcrespo71

Gamecube
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2005, 07:39 pm »
I almost forgot to mention that the main reason to own a gamecube is for Nintendo first party efforts.  IMO, Nintendo is still the best software developer around, so I'd focus on a lot of their offerings first if you want the best from the gamecube.  For any of the cross platform offerings (i.e., madden, splinter cell, etc.), gamecube got the shaft.  I bought all of those titles for Xbox.  

These are some of the games I loved for the GCN:
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II
Resident Evil 1, Zero, and 4
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
Pikmin 1 & 2
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Prince of Persia Sands of Time- one of the few cross platform games they did a good job on.
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Eternal Darkness
Timesplitters 2
F Zero GX
Mario Kart Double Dash is an awesome racer your kids will love.
Mario Party- any version- your kids will love this
Animal Crossing
Smugglers Run Warzones was cool
Soul Calibur 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Wave Race

sleepkyng

Gamecube
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2005, 07:47 pm »
a game you might enjoy (though not for the kids) is resident evil 4

I'm selling all my gamecube games if you're interested

Viewtiful Joe
Pikmin
Metroid Prime
Time Splitters 2
Resident Evil 4

and maybe something else lying around

lemme know if you're interested!

MaxCast

Gamecube
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2005, 05:01 am »
We got Marioland 7, Super Monkey Ball, something DX and a controller in the package.  Will be getting a racing game and Star Wars very soon.  Probably Kart because they like Mario Kart on the old super nintendo.  Star Wars is a must as we have figures and light sabers up the wazo around here.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Looks like the boys' and my birthdays are taken care of for a couple of years.

sleepkyng, PM sent.

mcrespo71

Gamecube
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2005, 07:02 am »
Mario Kart is a total winner IMO.  As far as Star Wars games, there are a bunch of choices and some are terrible, so be sure to read some reviews before buying.  I owned two star wars games for the system: Rogues Squardron II- great and Rebel Strike 3- good.

Michael