North Texas in-home auditions

oscar

Re: North Texas in-home auditions
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:15 pm »
need everyone to update their systems.  some said they like to host get togethers here, all you have to do is set a date and time and call for rsvp.  we'll be glad to brings equipment, drinks, snacks.
let's get this on a roll :thumb:
marvin

I just updated my system except the only things I've added include the Dodd preamp and the LG BH100 dual format Blu-ray/HD DVD system.   My "interests" have also switched over to high definition video. Combine that with lossless audio and I'm in HT heaven (just saw a blu-ray demo of Peter Gabriel; awesome stuff). 

I can certainly host a High def movie night if anyone's interested (Cowboys in high def is awesome, except when they lose to the Pats   :( ).

Except I have an unresolved system integration issue.  I need to figure out why my amps keep shutting down at less-than-extremely-loud volume levels for uncompressed PCM movie soundtracks.  I'm blaming the player because it only happens with the LG BH100 analog outputs, except no other BH100 owner has this issue. Using digital audio to the pre/pro has never caused serious problems but no lossless audio, only DD/DTS available through this route).  It would be nice if someone would bring over a couple of uber power amps to see if I have wimpy amplification (both my Classe CA300 and CA400 amps shut down) (hint).

I noticed there is now someone relatively close who has a very intrigueing HT room (but no Blu-ray player ?).  I live in Fort worth near Ridgmar mall and I don't know anyone else closer than Los Colinas who owns a 100+" screens.

nrenter

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:43 am »
I'm in Flower Mound...

• Ayre AX-7e Integrated Amplifier
  • Ayre CX-7e CD Player
  • Ayre P-5xe Phono Stage
  • Green Mountain Audio Callisto
  • Martin Logan Dynamo x 2
  • Purist Musaeus Interconnects XLR 1 meter
  • Purist Musaeus Speaker Cables 2 meter
  • Teres 245 w/ Verus Motor
  • Origin Live Silver Tonearm mk III
  • Denon DL-103R Cartridge
  • Skylan 24-inch Custom Stands

Beware the Flo Mo Gangstas, though.

audio_builder

Central Texas in-home auditions
« Reply #22 on: 9 Nov 2008, 04:39 am »
Located in Austin

Actively bi-amped system with a single ended 300B amp running the horn and a push pull 6550 amp running the bass.  The speakers are Altec 288 compression driver with low mass diaphragms on 1939 RCA Worlds Fair Horns for the highs and Altec 416 woofers for the bass.  The preamp is a transformer coupled design using 12B4 tubes.  The front end consists of a Thorens TT and a music server running into a MSB DAC.  All of the tube equipment is custom designed and built.  All of the commercial equipment is highly modified.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #23 on: 9 Nov 2008, 05:23 am »
Is this Lee?

cryoparts

« Reply #24 on: 9 Nov 2008, 05:36 am »
Is this Lee?

Not this Lee!

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #25 on: 9 Nov 2008, 05:37 am »
Beware the Flo Mo Gangstas, though.

Hey Nick,

Wow, that was funny!  Makes me miss FloMo.

Your system is considerably different than last time I heard it--really nice!   :thumb:  Did you move it into your back room?

Peace,

Lee

Wardsweb

« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2008, 11:31 am »
I am in San Antonio and always happy to share some tunes with fellow members.

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2009, 01:43 am by Wardsweb »

audio_builder

« Reply #27 on: 9 Nov 2008, 05:01 pm »

FredT300B

• Facilitator
Re: Houston, Texas
« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2008, 07:19 pm »
It would be great to start a South Texas Audio Club

If you're into mainstream high end audio try the Houston Audio Society. We meet on the second Saturday of each month. http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/houstonaudio/?yguid=194150487

And if diy is your cup o' tea try the Lone Star Bottleheads.
http://lonestarbottleheads.org/

audio_builder

« Reply #29 on: 12 Nov 2008, 01:43 am »

nrenter

« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2008, 02:16 am »

Your system is considerably different than last time I heard it--really nice!   :thumb:  Did you move it into your back room?

Actually, I'm in the very front room in my house. You can read about my room saga in this AC thread.

You need to stop by sometime for a listen. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

cryoparts

« Reply #31 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:04 am »

Actually, I'm in the very front room in my house. You can read about my room saga in this AC thread.

You need to stop by sometime for a listen. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Same room I heard your old system in?

I'd love to come by, but it would be a long drive, we moved to Utah a couple months back.  I miss Texas...

Lee

arthurs

« Reply #32 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:16 am »
Geez Lee, didn't realize you moved!  Hope all is well for you and yours in Utah....

nrenter, are you in the Metroplex?

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #33 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:22 am »
Much different system Lee (simplicity) that I heard last time. Seems the horns are the same but the midbass and sub bass changed

cryoparts

« Reply #34 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:31 am »
Geez Lee, didn't realize you moved!  Hope all is well for you and yours in Utah....

nrenter, are you in the Metroplex?

Yeah, due to the wife's medical struggles over the past two years, I had to move closer to her family so I could lean on them for some assistance with her care during recovery.

Nick is in Flower Mound, real close to where I used to live.

Peace,

Lee

arthurs

« Reply #35 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:40 am »
We'll miss ya here locally, be sure and give a shout if you're going to pass by our way in the future. 

We'll keep you both in our thoughts and prayers for her recovery and the challenges I know you're facing..,.

Peace bro - A

cryoparts

« Reply #36 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:43 am »
We'll miss ya here locally, be sure and give a shout if you're going to pass by our way in the future. 

We'll keep you both in our thoughts and prayers for her recovery and the challenges I know you're facing..,.

Peace bro - A

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts! 

I imagine I'll visit the Metroplex every so often, I have a lot of close friends there. 

Peace,

Lee

nrenter

« Reply #37 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:10 am »
Wow...I had no idea you moved, Lee. How close are you to Duke? You guys are each dangerous on your own. I you get together, make sure you use your collective superpowers for good, and not evil.

Not the same room as you heard my last system in. There was this office / dining room just to the left as you entered through the front door. I'm in there, now.

cryoparts

« Reply #38 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:44 am »
Wow...I had no idea you moved, Lee. How close are you to Duke? You guys are each dangerous on your own. I you get together, make sure you use your collective superpowers for good, and not evil.

Not the same room as you heard my last system in. There was this office / dining room just to the left as you entered through the front door. I'm in there, now.

Ha!   aa

Duke is about 2-3 hours away (I think) from where I live now.  We haven't been able to get together yet, but we are going to have to soon.  Duke and I have a mutual customer in Salt Lake City who has extended an open invite to both of us, I just need to make the time to take him up on it.

Peace,

Lee

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #39 on: 12 Aug 2009, 03:06 pm »
If you are willing to allow fellow AC members into your home to audition your system, please add a post to this thread that contains your city of residence and a description of your system.  Any information beyond that should probably be exchanged via PM or some other private means.

Hopefully, this will give people a chance to audition systems or components that they might otherwise not find at a local dealer.  Thanks in advance to all posters for displaying such openness and generosity!
Well, I'm not in Texas, but was born close to the Lone Star State in Clovis, NM.  I hope you will show mercy and allow an Albuquerque, NM boy the opportunity to invite anyone that is traveling through here or coming as a turista over to my abode to give my modest system a listen.

I have a, soon to be totally remodeled, listening room 20'4" long x 14' wide with an 8' ceiling.  The system is comprised of a Cary 306 CD player, Cary SLP50B preamp and Cary CAD572MKII monoblocks, all of which are modified. 

Speakers are my own MTMWW with vifa PL11's surrounding a ScanSpek D2905-9500 tweeter with Meniscus Eclipse W808R woofs.  The vifas are in transmission lines and the LF section is a critically damped ported alignment.  In room response is < 30Hz.  Pretty astounding 8" woofers for not much money.  All cables are my design with the exception of the old tried and true Kimber 8TC and 4TC speaker cables.

Power is via dedicated circuits with a Topaz 2.5kVA ultra isolation transformer that feeds an UberBUSS (naturally) that feeds the monoblocks.  A PS audio P300 PowerPlant (again, modified) is plugged into the UberBUSS and supplies power to the 306 and SLP50B.  Room treatments are on the slightly live side of dead and will be incorporated into the remodel instead of looking like the band-aids that they are.

Please, if you are coming through Albuquerque, send me a PM and I'll make time for you.  I also have a BBQ grille that works year 'round.

Hope to see you soon,

Dave