24/192 with older Off-Ramps with new USB Audio standard?

Recorder

Steve,

The following post recently appeared on the Audio Asylum:

"USB Audio 2 native driver for OSX will support 24/192 with OSX 10.64 when released."

When this becomes available on Mac OS X 10.6.4, will this make 24/192 playback available with older Off-Ramps?  Or would this require an update to the Centrance software in the Off-Ramp?  Mine is an Off-Ramp I2S. 

Thanks for all of your great work!

Bill

audioengr

Re: 24/192 with older Off-Ramps with new USB Audio standard?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2010, 12:51 am »
Steve,

The following post recently appeared on the Audio Asylum:

"USB Audio 2 native driver for OSX will support 24/192 with OSX 10.64 when released."

When this becomes available on Mac OS X 10.6.4, will this make 24/192 playback available with older Off-Ramps?  Or would this require an update to the Centrance software in the Off-Ramp?  Mine is an Off-Ramp I2S. 

Thanks for all of your great work!

Bill

The Off-Ramp 3 supports up to 24/96 with the CEntrance interface firmware.

I have licensed the M2Tech 192 async interface, so I will be starting the design of a replacement USB module for both the Off-Ramp 3 and Overdrive DAC soon.  This upgrade I expect to cost around $300.  The M2Tech interface still requires a custom driver be loaded, so it does not take advantage of native drivers.

Steve N.

Recorder

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:13 pm »
Steve,

I think you did not get my question.  I understand that, with Mac OS X 10.6.4, Apple will implement a new industry standard USB protocol, USB Audio 2.  It is supposed to support up to 192 kHz over USB 2 with no proprietary drivers.  Do you know whether there will be a way to tap into this with the OLDER Off-Ramps, suich as my Off-Ramp I2S?  Or is it too early to tell?  I understand that OS X 10.6.4 is expected to be released shortly and that many developers have copies, to prepare for the transition. 

I have not heard about Windows making any announcement as to when they might introduce the new standard in Wiindows.

I already realize that my older Off-Ramp cannot be upgraded to use the M2Tech HiFace drivers. 

Regards,
Bill

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:41 pm »
Steve,

I think you did not get my question.  I understand that, with Mac OS X 10.6.4, Apple will implement a new industry standard USB protocol, USB Audio 2.  It is supposed to support up to 192 kHz over USB 2 with no proprietary drivers.  Do you know whether there will be a way to tap into this with the OLDER Off-Ramps, such as my Off-Ramp I2S? 

Unless CEntrance rewrites the USB interface firmware and I license it again from them, these will be limited to 24/96 with the existing USB interface.

Even if CEntrance did offer this, I dont think it would be cost effect for me to license it from them.  The License is usually $10K.

Steve N.