PS3 games to cost $100 each?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
PS3 games to cost $100 each?
« on: 4 Oct 2006, 02:50 am »
Holy crap! :o  If the article on AfterDawn is correct, Sony will be pricing their PS3 games @ $100 apeice! :banghead:  The machine itself is already gonna cost $600, now that also wanna soak up a hundred a pop for software? :cuss:

Woodsea

Re: PS3 games to cost $100 each?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2006, 04:10 am »
Boy, if that is true, Sony is going down

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2006, 04:25 am »
The console is going to be very expensive, and I can accept that; you buy it once then you don't worry about it again.  But software... :duh:  If that turns out to be true, then I imagine Sony can stick their PS3 where the sun don't shine. :nono:

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2006, 04:40 am »
Damn straight.  There is no way, parents are going to be buying $100 games.  I am going to be getting a WII for my kids.  That is going to be the underdog winner in this years new console wars.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2006, 04:43 am »
There is no way, parents are going to be buying $100 games.
Don't count on it....they drop $100.00 now on sneakers.... :roll:

kenk

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2006, 04:57 am »

but they don't drop one every month :lol:

Se7en

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2006, 06:30 pm »
The cost of making games won't be any higher than 360, in fact a lot of the games will be ported across both platforms.

I would say that the majority of this increase is BlueRay and the associated licensing costs that game publishers will have to pay Sony to use the media.

my .02

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 4 Oct 2006, 08:33 pm »
Holy crap! :o  If the article on AfterDawn is correct, Sony will be pricing their PS3 games @ $100 apeice! :banghead:  The machine itself is already gonna cost $600, now that also wanna soak up a hundred a pop for software? :cuss:

If this is true, that's commercial suicide for Sony. Could you link the article?  This is news to me.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:12 pm »
Looks like they may not be that high in the US after all- here's the article.  It's been recently amended.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #9 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:36 pm »
Prices in sterling are almost always analagous to prices in usd.  IE, 1 sterling buys you about 1 usd, a 60 sterling game generally costs 60 usd and so on and so forth, at least in my experience.  Their inflation is bad.

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct 2006, 10:07 pm »

but they don't drop one every month :lol:

They do in NYC, especially in the poor neighborhoods. 

Why is this pricing scheme such a shocker?  The Older NEO GEO games used to be worth around $150 and that is early 1990s dollars.  What will that be adjusted to inflation in today's inflated and undervalued dollars?

Either way $100 is a LOT of money for one game.  Good luck SONY, and if this is true, is proves that SONY can indeed be stupid to the extent of going broke.

gitarretyp

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2006, 10:20 pm »

Why is this pricing scheme such a shocker?  The Older NEO GEO games used to be worth around $150 and that is early 1990s dollars.  What will that be adjusted to inflation in today's inflated and undervalued dollars?

Either way $100 is a LOT of money for one game.  Good luck SONY, and if this is true, is proves that SONY can indeed be stupid to the extent of going broke.

Yeah, but how long did the neo geo stay on the market? Also, the neo geo had no real competitor for it's level of quality or content.

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2006, 10:29 pm »

Yeah, but how long did the neo geo stay on the market? Also, the neo geo had no real competitor for it's level of quality or content.

That is very true.  I loved some games like King of Fighters and other side scrolling games that I still remember from College days.  Long live vintage gaming.

gongos

« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2006, 11:06 pm »

Neo Geo's main business was in the arcades. Without the arcade $ keeping it afloat, I doubt the Neo Geo home system would have stuck around very long.
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2006, 11:21 pm by gongos »

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 5 Oct 2006, 12:30 am »

Hey!

Man! $100 a pop? :o But if you think about it... that ain't so bad.

If my memory served me right I remembered paying $35 to $75 (or more?) for Nintendo games and that was in late '80s to early '90s But if you look at it it cost more to produce those game carts with all the chips inside... but now all they have to do is just stamp out those discs! :lol: So, it should be cheaper right? :scratch: Well, consider the improvement in games and dollar inflation since than :D

Well..... Anyway.... Good thing I'm no longer playing video games :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 5 Oct 2006, 12:47 am »
I never bought those rediculous $70+ Nintendo games.  We all assign priorities differently,  but there's no effin' way I'm gonna spend that on one game!  At the height of the original PS I probably had 100 PSX games, and I don't think I spent more that $40 on any of 'em.  Once games got up into the $50 range I virtually quit buying them.  I have maybe 20 Xbox games, and I only paid the full $50 price for one or two of them that I wanted bad enough to buy right away.

Until we have more than rumors to go on I'm trying not to get too worked up about it, but it would be a real blow to me.  I've been dreaming of the PS3 every since the P2!  But if they botch the job as bad as it looks like they're gonna I'll just buy a 360 and call it good.

kfr01

« Reply #16 on: 5 Oct 2006, 12:54 am »
Sony/BMG will forever be on my shitlist for that rootkit drm stunt.  I hope they charge $100 a game... and fail miserably doing it.

bubba966

« Reply #17 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:00 am »
When I bought my Neo-Geo in '90 I paid $650 for it and games were about $150. Which adjusted for inflation to last years prices equates to about $970 for the system and $225 for a game.

By the time I sold my Neo-Geo a couple of years later (I now wish that I'd not done that) the games were $250 each, which'd be about $330 now.

And I do recall SNES games being kinda spendy back in the day. The RPG's were particularly expensive being $75-$85 each back around '92 or so. $75 then is $105 or so now.

Makes the PS3 prices seem not so bad in comparison. Not that I care about the PS3 as I'm not buying one. At least not buying one to keep. Might try to turn it around for a little profit like I did with the PS2... :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:00 am »
Depends on how many they have at launch, Brian.  Initially there was supposed to be several million, but as it draws closer I'm hearing it might be more like 400,000.  I'm still guardedly anxious to get my hands on one, if the games aren't too bad.

Hey, Brian- do you have a 360 yet?  I don't but I'll probably buy one when eventually.  There's finally getting to be a decent selection of good games.  No new KotOR yet, though. :x

bubba966

« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:04 am »
Hey, Brian- do you have a 360 yet?  I don't but I'll probably buy one when eventually.  There's finally getting to be a decent selection of good games.  No new KotOR yet, though. :x

Yeah, I kinda have a 360.

Someone I know had one given to him as a gift. As he's got no time to use the thing with any regularity he asked me if I'd care to borrow it on a long term type thing. I said sure, why not. All I had to do was buy a game or two and I was up and running with a 360. So now I've got Call of Duty 2 and Burnout Revenge. I don't bother player Duty in single player mode, but Burnout has been entertaining. But I've not had the thing hooked up in at least a month. Someday I should hook it back up and get back to getting further along in Burnout.