Poll

Do you have a spare amp or second system to listen to if you main system is down?

Yes
23 (60.5%)
No
11 (28.9%)
Still have my old but working reciever in the closet
1 (2.6%)
I go nuts when my system is down
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

"Good things come to those who wait"

Roger A. Modjeski

"Good things come to those who wait"
« on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:13 am »
I used to say "good help is hard to find". After 31 years of being Music Reference I can say without doubt, "good help is impossible to find".  I am personally handling all the product sales. When I am lucky I have a fellow who helps me pack and ship an amp. When I am not so lucky I have to find the time to do it.

Sal is handling tubeaudiostore.com. If you are a member here and you want any Music Reference   product, or service on MR or my early Beveridge designs you must contact me at ramtubes@gmail.com. I try to check my email daily. Sometimes I skip a few days, but I do reply.

If you want an amplifier in a few days or a week you can get one fast on Amazon.com. It won't be one of mine, but you will get it fast. If you want one of my amplifiers be a patient person. I can usually get one out in a week or two.  I have a lot going on here and I'm dancing as fast as I can.

Try this one. I'm not the author, but it goes like this:

Patience is a virtue and virtue is a grace,
And a virtue is a grace,

(the remained of this is disputed on the net, but as i remember, it ended with:)
Then you will have a pretty face...

Or there is always the well know:

"good things come to those who wait"

Personally, when I decide to buy something I don't care if it get it tomorrow or next month. Really doesn't affect the richness of my life which is not base on "immediate gratification". If your life is based on immediate gratification there is plenty of that around but the result is much like the feeling one gets from "fast food".

I am far more interested in getting things right, buying things that I know will last and provide lasting satisfaction. One of my customers couldn't wait for a preamp for a few weeks so bought a horrible Chinese preamp (Dojo 8, which appears to be the current special on the "dollar menu).  It looked like a lot for the money, but turned out to be noisy. He sent it back and now will get one of mine at the end of this month.

By the way. The people who review these rather unknown products know nothing about what they are doing. They can't measure noise or distortion, they can't even assess it. They honesty have no frame of reference on whether a preamp is quiet or not. There is one person in the press that I know of who does know something about how things work and he does have a good frame of reference and he happens to be the editor of the last standing magazine that has anything to say that I care to read and that is John Atkinson.

If you know of a magazine online or off that you feel has anything valid to say, I would like to have a link and I will check it out.

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2011, 06:17 pm by Roger A. Modjeski »

rbwalt

Re: "Good thinks come to those who wait"
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2011, 08:53 pm »
well said Roger!!! Just look at all the audio crap that is up for sale on net. people buy the stuff because it is the lastest and supposeldy the greatest and it turns out to be so amusical it is not funny.

rob.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2011, 07:31 pm »
thanks rob, I also get a lot of anxious people with repair questions which I don't mind answering in a day or two. What has happened in our society to expect immediate response? No one is going to die over a blown fuse in an amplifier.

minimus

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm »
I am shocked, yes, shocked that you don't enjoy the florid, overwrought, inscrutable prose, glossy high-res photography, and web ads galore that 6moons offers up to its readers in touting the newest components emanating most often from Eastern Europe.  :icon_lol:  Somebody is making money from that venture, most probably the editor/owner, at the expense of the gullible and those new to this hobby.  A few years ago, I was burned by 6moons when I bought a Class D amp that they heaped praise upon...it made my system sound like amplification was provided by a cell phone.  I long since sold that amp for a loss.  I only trust the opinions of actual owners and designers these days, and even take Stereophile's reviews with a grain of salt.  For those in the know, word of mouth is far more reliable and valuable than professional reviews, especially now that buyers have diminishing ability to demo gear before buying it. 

rbwalt

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2011, 11:36 pm »
very well said. that is why i offer to those who want to come and listen to my system. from doing this i have helped sell a music reference RM9se and i had a nice fellow e-mail last fall telling me that he had bought a used pair of merlin tsm's and that he loved them. He came over from MD inorder to listen to my merlins.the tsm's replaced a pair quad's.

rob.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2011, 06:39 pm »
I am shocked, yes, shocked that you don't enjoy the florid, overwrought, inscrutable prose, glossy high-res photography, and web ads galore that 6moons offers up to its readers in touting the newest components emanating most often from Eastern Europe.  :icon_lol:  Somebody is making money from that venture, most probably the editor/owner, at the expense of the gullible and those new to this hobby.  A few years ago, I was burned by 6moons when I bought a Class D amp that they heaped praise upon...it made my system sound like amplification was provided by a cell phone.  I long since sold that amp for a loss.  I only trust the opinions of actual owners and designers these days, and even take Stereophile's reviews with a grain of salt.  For those in the know, word of mouth is far more reliable and valuable than professional reviews, especially now that buyers have diminishing ability to demo gear before buying it.

I do recall 6 moons was fond of class D amps awhile ago. I can't imagine why any audiophile would want a class D amplifier.  I consulted on a design some 20 years ago when hardly anyone was talking about them. Infinity produced that one for awhile. I saw the problems and my interest faded. I suppose they are fine for a car or some non-critical situation.

The magazines have been misleading the public ever since TAS started ignoring technical aspects and focusing on the opionon of its reviewers some 35 (If memory is correct) years ago. Audio Engineering (later Audio) was a great magazine when it started in the 50's where all the articles were written by builders and engineers. There weren't any reviews. It was a pretty good magazine though it faded at the end. International Audio Review had a good start and brought to light the errors in the RIAA eq curve and tone arm cartridge offset problems that had not been previously recognized. J Gordon Holt did a fine job and I particularly appreciate his list of the 100 worst components ever made.

If I had a magazine I would be testing, as Stereophile does, but more importantly I would be researching the company, the qualifications of its engineer, uniformity of production and most importantly, reliability of the product.

chrisby

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:36 pm »
I do recall 6 moons was fond of class D amps awhile ago. I can't imagine why any audiophile would want a class D amplifier.  I consulted on a design some 20 years ago when hardly anyone was talking about them. Infinity produced that one for awhile. I saw the problems and my interest faded. I suppose they are fine for a car or some non-critical situation.

The magazines have been misleading the public ever since TAS started ignoring technical aspects and focusing on the opionon of its reviewers some 35 (If memory is correct) years ago. Audio Engineering (later Audio) was a great magazine when it started in the 50's where all the articles were written by builders and engineers. There weren't any reviews. It was a pretty good magazine though it faded at the end. International Audio Review had a good start and brought to light the errors in the RIAA eq curve and tone arm cartridge offset problems that had not been previously recognized. J Gordon Holt did a fine job and I particularly appreciate his list of the 100 worst components ever made.

If I had a magazine I would be testing, as Stereophile does, but more importantly I would be researching the company, the qualifications of its engineer, uniformity of production and most importantly, reliability of the product.

Roger -
well said

clearly you're busy, but can you PM me regarding the RM10 when you get a chance?   

rbwalt

Re: "Good things come to those who wait"
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:34 pm »
roger you are right in so many ways. one only has to surf some of the circles and see what is going on with some to audio gear that is being sold and bought. guys buying tubes from who knows where and whom that do not work properly. amps that are poorly made and sound like crap. roger i will put my RM9SE up against any solid state amp or tube amp in its price range for build quality, sound quality and reliability. this how deeply i feel about your products.

roger keep up the good work and also the good fight against crapy audio equipment and the so called newest and greatest that never live up to their billing.

rob.

juanitox

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2011, 01:07 pm »
hi Roger,   if i plan to get patient ( few weeks)  do you make 230V version of 245.1 amp for oversea customer?

best regards

rohan

cujobob

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2011, 02:21 pm »
A small company has limits, ive dealt with waiting on amps/speakers from other people in your situation... They have been some of the best purchases i have ever made.

It's a lot of money... And we live in a fast food time period

rbwalt

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2011, 03:52 pm »
 i agree with you cujobob. i to have had to wait for my gear(speakers, line stage) and it was worth every penny and what i have was is not cheap. what is the old saying 'good things come those who wait'.

i get a kick out of some the posts i see on audio circle.people jumping on the newest bandwagon of gear( got to have it right away) and finding out that it is junk and simply does live up to its billings. so then it is on to something else to try. i see this with all sorts of gear.

rob.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:43 am »
hi Roger,   if i plan to get patient ( few weeks)  do you make 230V version of 245.1 amp for oversea customer?

best regards

rohan

HI Rohan,

With all the things I have going on at present I would think making a 245.1 amp is in the distant future unless I got an order for a dozen or so.  Right now I am focused on other things. Thanks for the interest. Get back to me in a year or so.