Adhesive Failure on X-LS woofer ???

Gvt1911

Adhesive Failure on X-LS woofer ???
« on: 10 Mar 2007, 02:54 pm »
Recently purchased a pair of X-ls speakers as new in box from private party ( club member of AV123 ). Speakers are in maple and sound awesome, I was very pleased with workmanship and sound. I let speakers break in slowly and never pushed them at all. Two days ago I was listening to some Cd's when the right speaker started making a LOUD "popping" sound. :x I stopped playing and shut everything down. I checked all my equipment and restarted to play at VERY low volume, all sounded OK until I raised volume and found that the right woofer was only putting out about 40% volume, when played a tad louder,it began popping again. I lowered the volume and gently placed my finger on the cone and it distorted immediately. I removed the woofer from the cabinet only to find that the "glue" that was used to adhere the spider to the polymer frame failed and there was total separation of spider from frame. No Wonder !! Evidently there is a problem with the "glue" that is being used. I called AV 123 and was told that they would not honor any warranty since I was second owner and would have to pay. I advised them that it was not my fault nor theirs and that the OEM should be notified so this does not happen again and I agreed to pay for a new driver ( which is cheap enough ). I am awaiting further contact to place order for new driver, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?? :scratch:
I want to thank AV123 for a great product and I am only posting this to insure better QC on the drivers used in their speakers. :wink: I have pic of speaker but do not know how to post.

mattburk

Re: Adhesive Failure on X-LS woofer ???
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2007, 02:07 am »
give them a call, they have great cs.

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
Re: Adhesive Failure on X-LS woofer ???
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2007, 02:09 pm »
Wow, never heard of this one before!  Honestly - we'be gone through thousands of those drivers already and this is the first time I've heard of this - the QC on those drivers is TOP SHELF! :D

Sorry for the trouble though - luckily the woofer is very easy to swap out :)

Sean