Salk Sound Veracity HT3 or AV123 Line Source LS6/LS9 for HT

toddbagwell

Re: Salk Sound Veracity HT3 or AV123 Line Source LS6/LS9 for HT
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2009, 02:11 pm »
yup, art, I knew you weren't trying to sell speakers, just saying listen and find what works for *you*

I do like my LS9s, but like jackass says, buy the kit and contract out the cabinet assembly if you decide to go that way.

todd

kingdeezie

« Reply #21 on: 14 Dec 2009, 02:25 pm »
I agree with Todd here,

Call GR Research, buy the kit from Danny, and call Mr. Salk; he might even build them for you for a reasonable price. Best of both worlds.

I think these speakers offer very different presentations; and which one you prefer is up to personal preference. Try and listen to both like Arthur said.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:09 am »
Now, can anyone, including Danny, tell me what speaker sounds more closely to the KEFs?

Hey Danny how do you think the HT4s sound compared to the KEFs?

If you are looking for me to respond to questions then it would be easier to catch me in my circle. I was eventually directed over here by someone else.

I'll leave direct comparisons to Jims speakers to others. Regarding the Kef's: I have heard many pairs but not their latest stuff. I have also sold a lot of parts to Kef owners for upgrades. Nothing about them would put them high on my list.

Speakers are a subjective thing to say the least, and there will be varying opinions on the same speaker. What might be the best speaker one guy has ever heard is mid-if or insignificant to another.

Jim builds a nice product and has many fans. I know those that are very happy with his speakers and several that have been unhappy. Big Red is really happy with HT-3's. But then I know another guy that never was happy with his and just replaced them with Tyler Acoustic D-2's and is now really happy. You'll never get a complete consensus.

toddbagwell had the best advice.

Regarding Big Red Machines comments: I was well aware of his dissatisfaction with the speakers. He made numerous calls to AV123 regarding a lack of bass issue in his room. AV123 called me numerous times to discuss it. I even talked to people that had been to Big Red Machines house to hear his system and his room. One guy told me that his HT-3's over loaded the room with bass and it was so heavy that it muddied up the mid-range and made the speaker un-listenable. I guess one guys heavy bass is just right for another. Knowing that the LS-6's play lower than the HT-3's and have a much greater capability to load and overload a room with bass (Thus the bass management system), I knew good and well that one or more groups of the woofers in the LS-6 were likely wired out of phase killing bass output. So my recommendation was to recall the speakers and fix the problem. Which they did.

It was unfortunate that AV123 had several quality control issues on the first LS-6's that went out the door and several had to be repaired in the field. Fortunately they have that pretty well worked out now.

And yes, I do have plenty of LS-6 and LS-9 kits that can be shipped.

I see good advice from kingdeezie here as well.

(typo's corrected)
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 08:17 pm by Danny »