Axpona 2016

threadkiller

Axpona 2016
« on: 13 Apr 2016, 06:19 am »
Anyone attending Axpona this year?
If so, you'll be able to see, and hear, the new WTL Royale 400, in the Volti speaker and Border Patrol electronics room. Pete's great cables will be in there also.
Go hear why you should scrimp and save for such a table/arm.  Heck, sell your kids and use their college fund if you have to- it's worth it!  :lol:

Report back if you make it to Mecca...
Happy listening...

ADiG

Re: Axpona 2016
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2016, 11:15 am »
Great Threadkiller, keep us updated we'll share on Facebook 

THANX! :thumb:

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2016, 04:36 pm »
Go hear why you should scrimp and save for such a table/arm.  Heck, sell your kids and use their college fund if you have to- it's worth it!  :lol

Not legal any more Chaz! Selling children  :D. I'd love to be attending Axpona though. Not much chance of Mr Burns taking his 400 to any of the UK hifi shows sadly. Enjoy!

TimF

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2016, 02:37 pm »
I was planning a trip to the AX, but lets just say my plans got AXED. Bummer. Guess I will just have to plan that trip down to you Chaz! Not that I can afford the Dee-lux WT rig, but would still be fun to lay eyes and ears on it.

Slightly off topic Chaz, have you compared that little Wax Engine to the Simplex with the same new WT cartridge? Curious as to differences.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2016, 03:07 pm »
Sadly, the Royale won't be making it to Axpona after all. Mr P got the bug this week and is too under the weather to go. I see on the local news lots of people have. Oh well. Maybe Rocky Mountain?

Good question. I haven't directly compared. I don't let a Simplex get near me. Lol. I know, I'm a biased butthead. Now do remember the Wax Engine isn't a Firebaugh design. I still find it to be an incredible table/arm for the money. No, it doesn't best an Amadeus. A Simplex? Hmm. Right now I'd either pay $995 for a WE or $2850 for an Amadeus.
As in life sometimes that middle child is useless... sell it for a Royale!

TimF

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2016, 03:25 pm »
Thanks for the quick note on the Wax, Chaz. Yep, realize it isn't a WT/Firebaugh design, but just a question that kind of struck me back when I saw it on your website.

A biased butthead? Nahhhh. Hah, just kidding. With all that fine gear you have at your exposure, it would be quite difficult not to have some biases! That darned Brinkmann too is a looker and I am sure a great sonic delight.

newvinyl

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2016, 12:15 am »
I was at AX one day. Did a quick listen to a buch of systems. Volti was in a big room on the lobby level and a smaller room on an upper level. Of course WT wasn't there, but I'm not sure Volti would have done WT justice. I don't want to bash a company, but Volti wasn't for me. The horns sounded fantastic, very dynamic, alive, and real. The bass didn't do it for me. In the big main lobby room there was a white board were people could write comments. I saw things like "bass done right" and things like that. I  thought the bass was mushy. Full, dynamic, not bloated, but something just didn't seem right. Not tight. For me, I couldn't live with the speakers long term.

Best non-super system I heard was Kii - if you can call a $US 14,000 DAC/amp/speaker non-super.