Turkish Grand Prix

mgalusha

Re: Turkish Grand Prix
« Reply #20 on: 8 May 2011, 09:43 pm »
I watched it live but forgot all about using the computer to look at t/s.

Crimson

« Reply #21 on: 8 May 2011, 10:00 pm »
I usually watch practice and sometimes qualifying on live timing feed.  For races though, I want to concentrate on race craft, and using live timing takes my concentration away and is too distracting.

+1

jonwb

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2011, 02:02 am »
Yeah, I'm a big fan but I ain't getting up early enough to watch w/ the race w/ the live feed! LOL

Great race again this morning.  Not much of a nail biter for Vettel tho.  Of course the way he was getting close to that mix up w/ the Sauber and Force India cars towards the end probably made Horner almost have a heart attack.  Quite a good showing by Alonso.  I didn't expect that.  I'd love to see Kobayashi in a more capable car.  Maybe in that Lotus Renault...  As a fan, you always wonder "what if" this guy was driving that car!

ltr317

« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2011, 03:11 am »
Yeah, me too.  Kobayashi certainly has a lot of talent, having won several junior series (most notably GP2 Asia) before competing in F1.  Being the highest form of road racing, every driver in F1 has a large amount of talent.  Given equal cars, all of them will be within a few tenths of a second of each other on any given track.  The difference between the best and the worst is the best are better at late braking consistently (like Hamilton, Koybaashi, Alonso, and a few others) than the others. 

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2011, 03:22 am »
This is proving to be a great season, even with the frequent tire changes. They're marbling way too quickly. At the last race they removed 1100 lbs. of rubber klag off the track. I didn't know until race time that turn 8 had four apexes. That was hell on the tires.
Whatever Ferrari did to their front wing to mimic what Red Bull has made quite the improvement in their performance. When their protests didn't avail them, they got busy and made their own. I loved it when Vetel asked Alonzo, "Where did you come from?" when weighing out after the race.
The next race in Spain should be very exciting.
On as aside, did anyone notice the porpoising the cars did while braking? Only the Lotus had the smoothest front end loading with practically no porpoising. The others looked really unstable.

ltr317

« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2011, 05:10 pm »
This is proving to be a great season, even with the frequent tire changes. They're marbling way too quickly. At the last race they removed 1100 lbs. of rubber klag off the track. I didn't know until race time that turn 8 had four apexes. That was hell on the tires.
Whatever Ferrari did to their front wing to mimic what Red Bull has made quite the improvement in their performance. When their protests didn't avail them, they got busy and made their own. I loved it when Vetel asked Alonzo, "Where did you come from?" when weighing out after the race.
The next race in Spain should be very exciting.
On as aside, did anyone notice the porpoising the cars did while braking? Only the Lotus had the smoothest front end loading with practically no porpoising. The others looked really unstable.

The same thing happened two years ago, when several teams copied Brawn's double diffuser when complaining was to not avail.  I think most of the teams in Turkey had to balance between downforce and aerodynamics, which caused some braking instability in certain corners.  I think this season will turn out to be as great as last season.