So is Lebron coming to New York?

jermmd

Re: So is Lebron coming to New York?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:29 am »
I'm watching the live feed on ESPN.com. This is ridiculous. They're going to milk this thing until 9:59 and then he's going to choose.

I take it back, He chose Miami !!!

Booo!

PeteG

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:31 am »
The Heat is on!

PeteG

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:35 am »
What team do you think will beat Miami (or not) in the east?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:44 am »
Told ya'all soooooo!  8)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:45 am »
Well, I think he made a good call.  Given the vast riches he'll earn in endorsements over his career, his actual salary is irrelevant.  And IIRC FL has no state income tax, meaning the "pay cut" probably won't force him to sell his Bentley. :wink:  If I were in shoes (ie widely hailed as the heir apparent to MJ and the best player in the NBA) I would certainly have chosen The Heat, too, over all the other candidates.  He probably could have done well with the Mavericks, too.

I'm not sure the makes the Heat a lead-pipe cinch, though.  It may take time for them to gell as a team, and it remains to be seen if the New Big Three can find enough basketballs to keep 'em all happy.  And even if they do, a healthy Lakers and Celtics will still give 'em a good run for their money.  In the short term.  The Heat stars are younger than the Lakers studs by a bit, and the Celts by a century! :lol:  The future of the NBA may well be a dynasty in Miami.

doorman

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:55 am »
Yawn :roll:
Don

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #26 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:26 pm »
Let me say this... Even though I grew up in Akron and live in Northeast Ohio, I have always maintained that LeBron James had every right to play where he wanted to.  But to draw this out the way he did and by making the fans in Northeast Ohio wait the length of time, to basically say on NATIONAL TV that Cleveland wasn't good enough, and to call the show(his call) "THE DECISION" knowing the media tags of the past disappointments Cleveland has suffered in sports history is tasteless, selfish, & is the epitimy of narcissism.

James didn't even have the decency to call Dan Gilbert(owner) or the Cavs until a couple of minutes before he announced his "decision" on ESPN.  Here is a guy that was beloved where he played.  He gave back to city where he grew up.  He never was in legal trouble and always seemed to say the right thing.  What a shame it had to go down this way.  Terry Pluto, a respected sports journalist, who currently writes for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and formerly The Akron Beacon Journal had a very good column in today's Plain Dealer.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/07/in_the_end_lebron_james_inflic.html

Randy

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #27 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:48 pm »
Let me say this... Even though I grew up in Akron and live in Northeast Ohio, I have always maintained that LeBron James had every right to play where he wanted to.  But to draw this out the way he did and by making the fans in Northeast Ohio wait the length of time, to basically say on NATIONAL TV that Cleveland wasn't good enough, and to call the show(his call) "THE DECISION" knowing the media tags of the past disappointments Cleveland has suffered in sports history is tasteless, selfish, & is the epitimy of narcissism.

James didn't even have the decency to call Dan Gilbert(owner) or the Cavs until a couple of minutes before he announced his "decision" on ESPN.  Here is a guy that was beloved where he played.  He gave back to city where he grew up.  He never was in legal trouble and always seemed to say the right thing.  What a shame it had to go down this way.  Terry Pluto, a respected sports journalist, who currently writes for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and formerly The Akron Beacon Journal had a very good column in today's Plain Dealer.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/07/in_the_end_lebron_james_inflic.html

Randy

As a lifelong Clevelander, and big sports fan, I agree 100% with your sentiments.

Another interesting twist to The Decision....The Letter (owner Dan Gilbert's late night letter to the Cavs home page; holds nothing back; is quoted in other stories that he believes Lebron quit in Games 4,5 and 6, and has been protected too much.  Could be sour grapes; could be he's finally allowed to talk...likley a combination).
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/gilberts_letter_to_fans_james.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=jalebron-100709

arthurs

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:54 pm »
Good post Randy, pretty spot on....

...you stay classy Lebron..... :roll:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 9 Jul 2010, 01:58 pm »
Sounds like LeBron left Cleveland in May and waited until last night to make the announcement. My cynical view is that professional sports in the U.S. and especially the NBA is a soap opera. It's all about gossip and attitude and innuendo and petty personal politics and bragging rights and money, money, money. LeBron James has been swimming in this shit long enough to know the score and to put aside all the simpering sentimentality and petulant posturing for a fun time in South Florida. Who can blame him? As for how he went about stretching the suspense and maximizing his exposure, again who can blame him? It's show biz.

By the way, I have heard that these pro athletes have to file a tax return in every income tax state where they have earnings. In other words, every place that they play. That still means no tax on half of your games (in Florida) but he'll be filing and paying in a number of other states like N.Y. and Mass.

jackman

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jul 2010, 03:31 pm »
As a lifelong Clevelander, and big sports fan, I agree 100% with your sentiments.

Another interesting twist to The Decision....The Letter (owner Dan Gilbert's late night letter to the Cavs home page; holds nothing back; is quoted in other stories that he believes Lebron quit in Games 4,5 and 6, and has been protected too much.  Could be sour grapes; could be he's finally allowed to talk...likley a combination).
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/gilberts_letter_to_fans_james.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=jalebron-100709

I agree with you guys (and the Cavs' owner) 100%.  LBJ has every right to play for whichever team he chooses but to go on national TV and hold that farce of a "Decision" program was wrong.  It was a complete disgrace and very disrepectful to the great fans of Cleveland.  Lebron may have been good to the community and may not have gotten into any legal trouble (it's doubtful he would have been arrested in NE Ohio for anything short of murder) but his behavior over the past couple weeks has been classless. 

Also, if he really cared about winning a championship (that's what this is about according to the self proclaimed King) why did he quit on his team during the '10 playoffs???  What was up with that left handed freethrow attempt?  The Cavs had the best record in bball and had home court for the playoffs.  How could this guy let down his team and the long-suffering Cleveland fans who worshipped him for 7 years?  Who cares if Delante West nailed Lebron's mom (see attached), I'm sure he was in good company.   :eyebrows:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2010/05/delonte-west-nailing-jumpers-lebron-james-mom/

LBJ is physically skilled but lacks the mental toughness of his idol, Michael Jordan.  Heck, he lacks the mental toughness of Kobe, the real King of today's NBA.  I hope King James and his two princesses, Wade and Bosh, and the scrubs they sign to play for league minimum finish in last place. 

Go Cavs! :thumb:

J

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 9 Jul 2010, 04:15 pm »
Don't you think that ESPN sold LeBron on the Decision Special? He's probably not that smart or that ambitious. And forget about the sentimentality of doing what's right. This is business, cutthroat unsentimental every man for himself eat my dust so long sucker business. Even if he gave a damn, you can be sure that his agent does not. He owes Cleveland nothing. He's all paid up.

jackman

« Reply #32 on: 9 Jul 2010, 04:41 pm »
Don't you think that ESPN sold LeBron on the Decision Special? He's probably not that smart or that ambitious. And forget about the sentimentality of doing what's right. This is business, cutthroat unsentimental every man for himself eat my dust so long sucker business. Even if he gave a damn, you can be sure that his agent does not. He owes Cleveland nothing. He's all paid up.

We are all accountable for our decisions, good and bad.  I'm not saying Lebron didn't have the right to put on the Decision Special.  He had every right to disrespect the people who worshiped him.  Just as they have every right to voice their displeasure with his actions.  The NBA wanted Lebron out of a small media market even more than they wanted Bosh out of basketball wasteland also known as Toronto (a great city).  Now all three stars can bask in the limelight of South Beach and everyone can cash in, except the people in Cleveland, OH. 

I'm not from Cleveland but I feel for their fans.  There is a long and painful history of Cleveland getting screwed in sports by great players leaving and poor decisions by owners.  Remember when Art Modell ripped the Browns out of town (thankfully the NFL didn't let him leave with the name)? The Browns drafting Tim Couch?  The 2009 Cavs who set a team record for wins and faded during the Eastern Conf. Finals?  Jose Mesa's choke in the '97 World Series? 

The Indians have been decimated worse than any other baseball team in recent years.  It's hard to imagine but some of the best players in MLB played for the Tribe.  Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Manny Ramirez (when he was good), etc.  Whenever a player gets good, they leave town for big bucks.  Lebron was a local guy and probably the harshest blow to Cleveland fans. 

King James left for more earning potential (outside of the game), and a brighter spotlight on a team of three stars.  If he wanted a ring, as he stated last night as his rational for leaving, he should have played harder last year when he had a team capable of competing.  Sorry Heat fans but I hope these guys finish in last place and never win a ring.  There has to be some Karma in the universe.

sts9fan

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jul 2010, 04:53 pm »

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #34 on: 9 Jul 2010, 05:37 pm »
OK here's a long one.

That last article is a bunch of BS.  Nothing more than playing the results after you know the score. A pencil pusher would make such comments.  What does he know about having to score 30 a night to win?  Think about it at your job if you were the guy lifting the heavy load all the time to even compete with the competition.  Are you telling me if you knew of other guys at XYZ company that could come work with you, you wouldn't want the help?  Let's put the author Rosenberg on the spot and ask him to single handedly put Si.com at the top of the heap every quarter, you beat ESPN Rosenberg.  Let's see how he handles that pressure and what his decision would be in 7yrs of trying (if he lasted).  Give me a break.  All the other greats he mentioned had help.  When Lebron lost to The Spurs a few years ago he realized.  When he lost to The Celtics with Pierce, Allen, Garnett and Rondo he realized.  What did Kobe win without Gasol...nothing, without Shaq...nothing.  Make no mistake my friends Gasol is that good.  Big shots by Horry and Fisher, Kobe isn't winning by himself.  Not to mention he has the the greatest coach of all time on the sideline and a hell of an owner and supporting staff.  Seriously folks that isn't a one man show in LA.  What was the first thing Kobe said after winning, I want to thank the big spaniard (Gasol) because without him we wouldn't have won.  Damn straight and he knows it too because he did not play well enough to win.  In fact if not for Gasol they would have probably lost to the young Oklahoma City team.  It takes a team and you need talent, not to realize that is just being stupid.  Lebron banged his head against that wall a few times, what's the definition of insanity?  He's not stupid, in fact he's now getting wise.

Well I'm a Miami Heat fan.  I have watched many good games in the arena's and now I imagine things are going to be wild down there.  I was somewhat shocked by the decision.
I agree the process wasn't the best and I don't know what the motivation was other than to create a moment for him.  What is getting lost but will probably be appreciated more over time is that he was selfish and unselfish in the same breath.  But we latch onto the negative.  Most complain about these rich athletes and that it’s all about the money.  He’ll make his money for sure but he (Wade and Bosh) have bucked that notion to a degree and may sacrifice money, individual legacy, hometown loyalty and ego to try to win championships, what it’s all supposed to be about.  Remember, Wade could have gone to Chicago and been seen as the hometown savior there, Bosh back to Texas as well (wouldn't he look nice as a Spur or Rocket). 

In that respect they are doing it the right way.  We all criticize others for not putting winning first and money and fame second.  What are we to do hate him for leaving Cleveland but respect him for sacrificing to win?  I suspect many don’t know how to react.  The sentimental notion is tugging at many people.  Stay in Cleveland Lebron it would be nice to win there but what if he doesn’t.  Then where will all those supporters be.  They’d turn on him and be quick to label him as not good enough to win a ring.  Maybe even call him narcissistic for believing he was so good as to win in Cleveland against whatever odds existed.  I firmly believe this is what would happen, even the people in Ohio would be thankful he stayed and tried but still resentful that he was supposed to the greatest and still couldn’t get it done.  A no win situation I suspect unless he won.

I’ve watched a few interviews with people and I repeatedly heard “I” wish he would have stayed in Cleveland.  But it’s not about you but about him and these other two guys’ careers and how they want to spend the next 7+ yrs of their lives.  Then stupid comments like Jordan wouldn’t have done that.  Lebron should want to beat Wade not join forces, a true competitor would want to beat the other guy.  Last time I checked there are 400+ other NBA players for these guys to beat.  They still have Kobe, Gasol, Durant, Howard, Garnett, Duncan, Nash, Norwitzki and others to go and beat.  Nobody just gives you a title.  Do you think these other teams are going to just roll over?  If anything they will play harder and give them their best effort.

What I don't understand is how he has betrayed the city.  I don't understand this notion that he is/was somehow the savior and is required to play his entire career in Cleveland with the sole purpose of delivering a championship.  A noble thought but not realistic and not fair.  This is Cleveland not the Lakers, that ownership doesn’t have a track record of getting it done.  If Jerry West hadn’t given the Lakers Gasol would they have won these last two titles?  Someone needed to investigate that because that was far more of a crime than Lebron leaving Cleveland that was shady dealing there.

As for the owner’s letter, he is just as bad as Lebron IMO.  Lebron did play there for seven years, he did try, and he did make a decision to sign a contract with Cleveland in the past.  This notion of him quitting on Cleveland is unfouned and is only playing the result and speculating and doesn't even make sense.  He realized he didn't have the horses to get it done, you know when you're beat. The other guys he played with did not compete and maybe the coaching did not get it done.  From the playoff games I saw the only guy who ever showed up consistently was Lebron.  If I have given an employer seven years of my service is that not enough, must one pledge their entire working career.  I think what you saw from the owner in that letter was his true colors which you often see in times of adversity.  He has every right to be pissed and sour but somehow we are not holding him to the ethical standards we normally hold players too.  Where’s the outrage about the unprofessionalism and bad taste of this owner.  Leads me to believe the relationship was sour already.

How was he good enough for you for seven years and then the worst person now?  Even if he had just done it quickly they still would have hated him for leaving.  It's a no win situation.  After reading that letter if I were Lebron I'd feel a lot more comfortable with my decision, apparently I was not as respected and beloved as I may have thought.  I'm great when I'm benefiting you and when I'm not I'm trash.  All that time there and nobody told him he was "self pro-clamied", I wonder why. He did a lot for Cleveland in his seven years, made them relevant and gave them a great chance to win.  He doubled the net worth of that franchise and helped employ many, for that you'd think the owner would be more grateful.  If you are sour that the cow cash is gone I can understand but don’t disguise it as betrayal. 

I don’t see how you can take away his right to choose what he feels is best for him.  Regardless of the fashion he left, either way over the top or discreetly he would have been made to be the villain.  We are all calling him selfish and narcissistic (which he likely is) but aren’t the city and the ownership exhibiting the same traits?  Teams trade away players left and right without any regard for their families etc… and we say and except that it’s a business.  Now the shoe is on the other foot in this situation and we want to demonize the player.

The more I think about it, I have little remorse for the Cleveland franchise if they are going to continue to show such distaste.  I will grant everyone an emotional period.  I would have liked to see him stay as well but I just don’t know what we really want from this person.  I guess we want him to do what we think is best and not what he feels is best…that’s our narcissism if that is the mindset.

I am a Ravens and Heat fan so I have benefited from Cleveland’s misfortune.  However, I still try to be objective.  I clearly remember when the Colts left town on that dark snowy night but I don’t hold it against them today or curse Indy and Manning for it.  That’s childish.  The owner mentioned that the city is cursed and now Lebron will carry that curse and curse his new city.  What the hell is that?  He sounds like a jilted lover.  I will give Cleveland that much, they’ve gotten their hearts broken and there no easy way to mend it.  They’re going to see their former King playing with someone else and it’s going to hurt every time.  If he wins a championship it’s going to sting ever more.  The only person that can breathe a sigh of relief is Ehlo and now the notion “The Shot” may be replaced by “The Decision”.  This is truly great theater.

Now what I really want to find out is after the owner’s public outburst and revealing his character to some degree what marquee player is going to what to play for him?  I personally think that owner may have just shot himself in the foot.  It was going to be hard enough following Lebron to begin with.

I'm curious as to what makes Cleveland fans so great?  How are they any better or worse than any other set of fans.  This notion of a tortured town has been given to them and others and people attached this sympathy to them but clouds perspective and proper judgment.  Even New York is trying to act as if they were done wrong. Seriously, how did these teams feel they have the rights to him just because he listened or entertained a sales pitch.  People need to wake up, if Lebron would have be 31 years old and had not won in Cleveland and they could get some nice hot young talent for him, they'd likely trade him away in a heartbeat.  Then say we are doing what's been for our franchise and trying to bring a championship to Cleveland and we would have accepted it as business as usual.

sts9fan

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jul 2010, 06:11 pm »
The Cavs had the best regular season record.  Why did he need to go somewhere else to win?  Its easier. 

Think about it at your job if you were the guy lifting the heavy load all the time to even compete with the competition.  Are you telling me if you knew of other guys at XYZ company that could come work with you, you wouldn't want the help?  Let's put the author Rosenberg on the spot and ask him to single handedly put Si.com at the top of the heap every quarter, you beat ESPN Rosenberg.  Let's see how he handles that pressure and what his decision would be in 7yrs of trying (if he lasted).  Give me a break.  All the other greats he mentioned had help.

Did they have more or less then the Cavs this past season?
I have $10 that says this ends poorly.  I may be wrong (It happened once before) but I think ego(s) get in the way.  I do not think DW is going to like always being in the background of pictures.

GO CELTICS!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jul 2010, 06:15 pm »
D Wade might like letting LeBron take the stupid questions while he heads for a shower and a night out. Wouldn't you?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jul 2010, 06:24 pm »
That whole pompous show was likely income producing for James, like he needs the money.  You know, from sponsors and/or the network.  Jez thinkin out loud.

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jul 2010, 06:42 pm »
The Cavs had the best regular season record.  Why did he need to go somewhere else to win?  Its easier. 

Did they have more or less then the Cavs this past season?
I have $10 that says this ends poorly.  I may be wrong (It happened once before) but I think ego(s) get in the way.  I do not think DW is going to like always being in the background of pictures.

GO CELTICS!

That rant by Launche makes sense unless you consider the following:  1.  The Cavs had the best regular season record and homecourt advantage during the playoffs. Most experts expected last year's Cavs team to at least make it to the finals if not win it all.  2. Their star player and KING gave up and played some of his worst ball during the most critical games.  This is why he will NEVER be on the level of Michael Jordan.  He lacks the heart of a champion.  The whole ESPN circus last night just highlighted Lebron's lack of class.  If he's unhappy about not winning a ring, he only has himself to blame.  Michael Jordan won titles with lesser teams than last year's Cavs team.  Lebron didn't even make it out of the Eastern Conference.  Pathetic. 

I have a feeling we are going to see a different Lebron in Miami, the real one, once he's outside of the Akron bubble.  He is a classless scumbag who lacks the intelligence to understand how insulting and narcissistic his selfish actions (like last night's  "Decision" show) are to his former fans. It makes me sick to hear people complaining about Cleveland fans being angered by last night's actions.  Cleveland fans have a right to complain and be angry.  Should they thank LBJ for playing them for chumps?  I wouldn't.

cujobob

« Reply #39 on: 9 Jul 2010, 06:46 pm »
Lebron did not really show much respect to Cleveland it seems, but Dan Gilbert is way off with his response.  He flat-out insulted Lebron James which is far worse than anything James did to his former team.  I think Lebron is league-made (he gets away with murder, practically), though still a star...the league wants to profit off of this, ESPN wanted to profit off of this, and James' likely enjoys the attention.  Cleveland is a horribly run team and James is/was no Michael.

I really could care less about the whole thing, though.  He was a free agent, players leave all the time.  Grant Hill left the Pistons in a pretty similar manner....only, classier.