Poll

Do you think pro football and the Superbowl is fixed? The outcome is predetermined in advance.

Yes it is!
15 (25.9%)
No it's not!
43 (74.1%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Is the Superbowl fixed?

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Is the Superbowl fixed?
« Reply #40 on: 4 Feb 2013, 08:15 pm »
Was the pass even catchable?  The refs let the game be played and established that early on.

Jim

I thought it was catchable. If you grab the receiver just as he is about to make his burst, it sets the timing off and he can't reach his spot. Just let the "game be played"? What if the back just outright tackled Crabtree. Would've that been called or would've that been just letting the "game be played"? Can defensive backs get away with virtually anything in the endzone.

I'll agree the game was called loosely. What's loose? A grey area that screws up the game. This was an obvious bad call...not grey.  They didn't call some of the head shots that would've been called in a regular game and there were other bad calls. What we want is consistency don't we? The ref blew the call and it cost the 9'ers the game.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #41 on: 4 Feb 2013, 08:18 pm »
Disagree.  They both had hands all over each other.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #42 on: 4 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm »
Baltimore is a small market and a relatively young team by NFL standards,they would prefer the 49ers win from a financial standpoint.my brother in law swore that Vegas had someone cut off the power to give the 49ers time to regroup :icon_lol:
I like Bunky.  He funny. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #43 on: 4 Feb 2013, 09:24 pm »
IMO that catch was not catchable. yeah he could have grabbed it and been out of bounds anyway.
I think the Cathars and the Illuminati wanted to give San Fransisco a big break with that 'power surge' lights thing.  If there was a 'fix' it was the mysterious power going out just as SF was on the ropes.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #44 on: 4 Feb 2013, 09:31 pm »
The Halftime Show needs to be fixed. Seriously.

edit: Also, nobody should be allowed to sing the Anthem except Jim Cornelison. That should be fixed, too.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm by JerryM »

geowak

« Reply #45 on: 4 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm »
It is logical to think that too many people are involved for the NFL to be fixed. All these eyes cannot be fooled, correct?

But let's not forget Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France. Admittedly, the Superbowl is not the Tour de France. But many, many people see it and many are involved in the organization. Well we have found out how corrupt the Tour has become since say 2003. Many dopers and cheating.
Our American hero has fooled everyone. After all he won 7 tours, more than any other person.  I was for him and loved the fact he did so much for cancer, with his Livestrong foundation. How did so many people get fooled??

To me, there is far too much money involved in Pro football..... for it NOT to be fixed. Although I certainly respect all that think it is not. In fact I want to believe they are correct.

Also I know more than a few people that believe Pro wrestling is real...

medium jim

« Reply #46 on: 4 Feb 2013, 11:39 pm »
Like I said, this is the most ridiculous thread of all-time...

Jim

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #47 on: 4 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm »
Also I know more than a few people that believe Pro wrestling is real...

Try this exercise in the comfort of your home..........wait until the pro wrestling cameras pan across the audience, and let this revolting concept fester in your brain for awhile, and see if it adds credibility to polls:

These people actually VOTE????   :duh: :nono: :cuss: :banghead: :bawl: :stupid: :wtf:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #48 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:34 am »
Was the pass even catchable?  The refs let the game be played and established that early on.

Jim

It doesn't matter because the call would be defensive holding, which doesn't take ball position into account.  In other words the pass could have been to the other side of the endzone and it would still be holding.

I have sympathy for both positions.  On one hand, I like that the refs let the players play and didn't call any close plays a penalty.  Something they should do more of in the regular season.  And that they don't want to determine the outcome of the game.  Calling holding there puts the ball 1st and goal on the 2 1/2 yd line that almost, I say almost, guarantees a TD for the Niners and probably the win.  However the holding, or contact past the 5 yard zone, was so blatant I can't really see how you don't call it.  The contact, let it go, they both made contact, but Crabtree was clearly grabbed and held by a player thinking he was beat on the play, this is what has to be called.  All that being said, I repeat that the 49ers made a mess of the play calling on that series, so they deserved the outcome that occurred. 

medium jim

« Reply #49 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:58 am »
It doesn't matter because the call would be defensive holding, which doesn't take ball position into account.  In other words the pass could have been to the other side of the endzone and it would still be holding.

I have sympathy for both positions.  On one hand, I like that the refs let the players play and didn't call any close plays a penalty.  Something they should do more of in the regular season.  And that they don't want to determine the outcome of the game.  Calling holding there puts the ball 1st and goal on the 2 1/2 yd line that almost, I say almost, guarantees a TD for the Niners and probably the win.  However the holding, or contact past the 5 yard zone, was so blatant I can't really see how you don't call it.  The contact, let it go, they both made contact, but Crabtree was clearly grabbed and held by a player thinking he was beat on the play, this is what has to be called.  All that being said, I repeat that the 49ers made a mess of the play calling on that series, so they deserved the outcome that occurred.

Hate to disagree, the ball was already in the air, e.g., cannot be holding at that point, could only be pass interference.  To be pass interference, the pass has to be catchable in the field of play.

Digest of Rules Main

Pass Interference

There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.
The penalty for defensive pass interference is an automatic first down at the spot of the foul. If interference is in the end zone, it is first down for the offense on the defense’s 1-yard line. If previous spot was inside the defense’s 1-yard line, penalty is half the distance to the goal line.
The penalty for offensive pass interference is 10 yards from the previous spot.
It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched.  Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.
 Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

Note 5: Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.

Jim

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #50 on: 5 Feb 2013, 08:36 am »
Hi,sometimes it takes years to get NFL justice!..1976...I was a Pats fan,19 years old.They were playing the Raiders.The Pats were robbed of winning the game and going on to the super bowl when tight end Russ Francis was tackled by Raider Phil Villipiano when the pass to him was right there.No instant replay yet,it was just like the play last night with Crabtree.A roughing the passer by Ray(Sugar Bear) Hamilton was the second farce.Years later the Pats vs.the Raiders,2000,or 2001 and the Brady tuck rule?I'd be pissed if I was a Raider fan....Mark Korda

Doublej

« Reply #51 on: 5 Feb 2013, 11:46 am »
Passes are uncatchable if the defense is preventing the receiver from running to catch it by holding them.  :duh:

medium jim

« Reply #52 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:05 pm »
Passes are uncatchable if the defense is preventing the receiver from running to catch it by holding them.  :duh:

The ball landed 2 yards out of bounds and with the high arc projection, the receiver would have had to have been 7' tall and have a 23" vertical leap and managed to have got both feet inbounds....stop the friggin sniveling....

Jim

fredgarvin

« Reply #53 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:11 pm »
If he hadn't been held for that second the ball would have been right in his hands. That's how the fade works. Up high and near the line. You see them every game. Think Pittsburgh in the exact same scenario over Arizona in the SB if that helps.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #54 on: 5 Feb 2013, 04:22 pm »
Its fixed only when ones team loses it appears. Calls both good and bad go both ways. just like balls and strikes. However I admit at times it certainly appears that way.

charles

mick wolfe

« Reply #55 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:07 pm »
The ball landed 2 yards out of bounds and with the high arc projection, the receiver would have had to have been 7' tall and have a 23" vertical leap and managed to have got both feet inbounds....stop the friggin sniveling....

Jim

Actually I think Crabtree would have to be 8' tall with a vertical of 42".  A poorly thrown and uncatchable dud. No way the refs bail the 49ers out on that. The play calling by the 49ers on that last series was horrendous. I would have turned Kaepernick loose on roll outs with a run/pass option 4 plays in a row if need be. I would have even taken the penalty and saved the time out on third down. With the right play call, you can roll in just as easily from the 10 as the 5....especially with Kaepernick's running ability.

geowak

« Reply #56 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:30 pm »
Like I said, this is the most ridiculous thread of all-time...

Jim

Cmon you know this game was fixed. Why else would you cut and paste NFL rules in a thread you say is the most ridiculous of all time? And you wrote that twice. The NFL is corrupted. Just admit you believed the farce, now you are wiser.

medium jim

« Reply #57 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:32 pm »
Geo, you're right, I'm wasting my time trying to convince the X-File crowd....

Jim

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #58 on: 5 Feb 2013, 05:48 pm »
Jim, you are right.  I'm surprised no one mentioned the guy on the grassy knoll who radioed the ref telling him not to make the call.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #59 on: 5 Feb 2013, 07:20 pm »
Actually I think Crabtree would have to be 8' tall with a vertical of 42".  A poorly thrown and uncatchable dud. No way the refs bail the 49ers out on that. The play calling by the 49ers on that last series was horrendous. I would have turned Kaepernick loose on roll outs with a run/pass option 4 plays in a row if need be. I would have even taken the penalty and saved the time out on third down. With the right play call, you can roll in just as easily from the 10 as the 5....especially with Kaepernick's running ability.
Hell, yes.